Saturday, December 29, 2012

Anew Review: The Archers of Avalon

Normally I don't do reviews. I don't like influencing other people's opinions on books. Because books--as I see it--are all about the reader's personal perspective and taste. While one person might think the book is slow and boring, another might see it as fast paced and suspenseful. One might think the writing is immature or terrible, another person might pick up another book by that same author because they loved their writing style so much. But I had to share my opinion on Anew, because it was refreshing, intriguing, and had me clutching my kindle to my chest because of the story unfolding before my eyes. 

Now onto Anew. When I read the premise, I cringed. Love triangle. I hate love triangles. Most of the time, it's just a push and pull between the three characters, where the woman (because it's always a woman in the middle, right?) doesn't decide until the very end, almost as if she made up her mind using a coin toss. And most of the time, authors don't know how to write a convincing love triangle, where you don't end up hating the main character and you don't end up only on one team. Not to mention how tricky it is when you're dealing with two brothers vying for the same girl. After reading some of the reviews on Amazon, I still wasn't convinced I'd like the book. I mean, the good brother vs. the bad brother? It's cliched. And that safe and good guy always makes the woman's decision easy, right? I was so wrong. 


The beginning of the book started off a little slow for me. Maybe it was because of my ever present criticism of young adult books (although I am a young adult) that made me want to stop reading--the way the characters talked because they were in high school was a little grating. But I kept going because I was really intrigued. The little bits and pieces of explanation thrown in the beginning chapters had me itching to read further so I understood what it all meant and how it came together. I like that about a book, making me want to keep reading because I just have to know what happens next right this minute. 


Aside from the few grammatical and spelling errors, I loved this book! It was better than I imagined it would be. It had me laughing, crying, and my heart ripping in two for the characters. I thought the pace was set nicely, and that it kept pulling me in even when I wanted to scream in frustration because I didn't know what was going to happen. And the ending had me screaming: WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!?! :)


I don't want to say too much, as I feel like whatever I say will ruin things for the reader. It only takes a few bits and pieces of the story for someone to piece it together and know what happens before they've even read the book. So I'll leave it at, if you love suspense, the paranormal, romance, and fantasy, you'll love this book. It combines all those elements, with a beautiful love triangle that will have your heart melting in a puddle.


Overall, I give this 4 stars out of 5. I'd give it more, but being an English person, I can't ignore the errors throughout. Plus the beginning was hard for me to get through, as it was pretty boring.


Now I have to start reading Awry, the second book in the series, before I go crazy! :)