Friday, May 10, 2013

Don't Lose the Spark

Finally, my copy of Spark has arrived from Amazon! Sigh.. just look at that cover! Gabriel Merrick is one flaming hot brother. Get it? That was a bad pun, I know. But I just love this Merrick boy in all his awesome glory.

*Warning: Do not read this if you haven't read Storm yet. There are spoilers from the first book in this review. 

Rating: 5/5 stars!
Goodreads
The Characters:
Gabriel: Oh, where do I start? Let's be honest here. I fell hard for him in Storm, and I fell even harder after reading his story. He's harboring so much guilt and regret that it weighs him down, and he starts pushing everyone away. Even his twin. His best friend. Sometimes I wanted to shake Gabriel and shout, "why do you keep acting like this?!" And other times I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and make him feel loved. He's temperamental, hotheaded, and out of control. But he's also sweet, determined, and downright funny. It's clear that he loves his family and doesn't want to disappoint them, but he feels like everything in his life is spinning out of control like the flames that want to destroy everything good about him.

Layne: There's something different about Layne, about her shyness and the secrets she harbors. She intrigues Gabriel, and whenever they're around, sparks fly. Literally. ;) She's so quiet that no one bothers her or pays her any attention, and that's just how she likes it. But that kind of life gets so lonely. There's a reason why she's so quiet and subdued, a reason why she doesn't really have friends. Her past is painful like Gabriel's, but he makes her feel protected and safe and that she can open up to him. She's a very strong heroine.

Hunter: Although he didn't take point in this book, he was still as important as the other two main characters. He and Gabriel form this friendship, and they help each other stay in control of the elements. After Hunter was bent on revenge in the first book, it's hard for the Merricks to trust him, especially Chris. But when he and Gabriel both skirt the edges of temptation and loneliness, they form a bond. With his help, Gabriel feels more in control and has at least one person in his corner. There's so much more to Hunter than we've all seen, and I CAN'T WAIT to read Spirit. Besides Gabriel, he's my favorite guy in this series. He's got secrets and a past that I just want to unravel. Even though he had a questionable reason behind everything he did for Gabriel, I still love him.

I love all of these characters, and the rest: Michael, Nick, Chris, and Becca. Except Quinn. She was a sucky friend in the first book, and she's the only character that I cannot stand. I'm glad she played such a small role in this book. Not looking forward to more from her, especially with Nick wrapped around her finger. :( I hope my view of her changes!

The Plot:
This book picked up right where Storm ended, and it didn't slow down one bit. Although there was less action, as in deadly, Guides-are-going-kill-us action, it wasn't boring. It was more subtle and subdued, but still just as dangerous as what they went through in the first book. With Becca's father working to help them, they don't have much to fear from the Guides right now. But there's an arsonist on the loose, and everyone, including his own brothers, thinks Gabriel's behind it. The only people who believe him are Hunter and Layne. Because of them, Gabriel doesn't feel so alone, and he gets better at controlling his element and the power it ignites in him. 

The Writing:
I love Brigid Kemmerer's writing style! I love the way she draws on all of the characters' personalities and spins the conversations. The way the characters talk and the way they interact is perfect for high school. It's closer to their age than other books I've read. Usually, most books that involve characters that are still in high school grate on my nerves because of the sophomoric and childish way they are written. It never seems to flow, but Kemmerer does it so well! And even though there was less of a dangerous element than the first book, until later on at least, this is still such an addicting read. The whole series, from the power of the elements to the hot guys, is addicting. Just like with Storm, after finishing this book, I still want more. More of the Merricks and Hunter, and more of their story. 

My Thoughts:
This book was just as good as the first, if not better. I was so happy to read Gabriel's story (because I'm a mean person and I picked favorites, :P). I never wanted to put it down. But seriously, why do all the girls in these novels do at least one stupid thing? Why do they always seem to make bad decisions? I love how Layne gained more confidence and didn't let herself be pushed around. But something bad always happens at these parties. It's like a rite of passage for these girls to go a party that changes their lives. But I'm glad it pushes secrets out in the open and makes the characters communicate and be honest with each other. Man, my emotions were a mess reading this book; I cried when Gabriel finally brought down that wall of pain and let Nick back in. I felt my heart fill with joy when Gabriel and Hunter became friends, and talked about what they were going through. I swooned at Layne and Gabriel's romance. They just got each other. <3 And I love how she ends the books, giving closure to the main characters, yet making us remember that the danger and story-line are far from over. There are so many books about the elements and people controlling them, but I find this so fresh and new. I don't know if it's because of the way Kemmerer writes them, or the way I've fallen in love with the characters. But these are addictive reads and some of my favorites books of this year!

2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one not feeling Quinn's character. I'm hoping she wins me over in Spirit, but I'm not holding my breath. :P Thanks for joining the read along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! I love this read along. Yeah, I've read Spirit, and I'm still not a fan of her. I hope that changes with Nick's novel.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3