Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Soulmates and Stars: Grasping at Eternity Review

*I received a copy from Starry Sky Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a hopeless romantic, who believes in soulmates and true love. So when I read the synopsis of this book, I just knew it would be something that I'd fall in love with. Who doesn't justadore a good book about soulmates and always finding your way back to the one you love, the one you're destined to be with?


Rating: 4/5 stars! 
The Characters:
Maryah: Her story starts off with a bang. And I mean literally. After tragedy strikes, she goes to Arizona to meet her godmother. She's grieving, mourning the lost of her family, and confused by all the things she's experiencing. Between dreams and weird things happening to her at her new house, she doesn't know what to make of it all. As the pieces of the puzzle start to fall into place, she starts to question everything she's ever known. Her disbelief pushes her into a dangerous situation, but she comes out of it alive and with some of her lost memories, especially the ones about Nathan. Light returns to her eyes, and everything becomes clearer. Although it's still a haze, all the lifetimes she's spent with her Kindrily, she's determined to get her life and memories back. 

Nathan: Oh, be still my beating heart. <3 Seriously, could he be more perfect? I didn't agree with all of his reactions to some situations, but he did the best he could under the circumstances. Not only is Maryah grieving, he is too, for he's lost the girl that he's loved for many centuries. His disbelief in miracles and his hopelessness drives him away, making him focus on a mission to find the man responsible for all that's happened. Otherwise, he'd have to endure walking around with his soulmate thinking he's a complete stranger. When some of her memories returns, he's happy. But there's still that underlying desperation for her to remember everything, not to mention the danger that she's still in. And Nathan is still harboring secrets that I know will come out in the next book.

With so huge a cast of characters, I was worried that Maryah and Nathan would get lost in the shuffle, that they wouldn't shine more brightly than the rest. This was about her finding her way back to Nathan and recovering her memories and gift. But I loved all of the characters, except River. I knew there was a reason I never liked him to begin with. I don't necessarily care for April either, but that could just be because she's not a part of the Kindrily, so she's not an important character. I can't wait to learn more about this "family" and the lifetimes that they've spent together.

The Plot:
When Maryah moves to Sedona, she's in a state of despair and depression. She's just lost her entire family, and now she's going to be living with strangers on the other coast. Things aren't as they appear in the Lunas household. After some interesting events, Maryah is convinced that she's going insane. And what about her weird dreams that always seem to focus on the ever-elusive Nathan? The family (because there are just too many characters to name) are trying to help her recover her memories by using reminders of their past lives, like this peacock ring and Nathan's presence. Except it isn't easy for him being with his empty soulmate. They are both hiding secrets from other another, and sometimes I just wanted to yell at them to be more honest. But then again, who would believe these insane ideas? Maryah almost doesn't believe them herself, not until Harmony, part of the Kindrily, explains her gift of speaking with ghosts, and that her mother left her something in her jewelry box. After finding out what the Lunas really are, Maryah almost can't believe it, but she knows deep down it's true. But that scares her, and she runs to the only person who is not a part of this. River. Man, I really hated him. When she realizes what a mistake that was, she uses her gift to reach the only person she knows who could be there in time to help her. Nathan. Their connection for each other brings him to her, and they escape the dangerous situation without a wound. Near the end, and Maryah's memories come back, it's clear that there are definitely some questions still unanswered. And Nathan has a secret, too. And oh, I just loved the ending. So beautiful. <3

The Writing:
I really liked the author's writing style, and how she drew me in with both Nathan and Maryah's POVs. It was easy to connect with the characters. But while the book started out with a bang, it seemed to drag a bit through the middle, and then picked up again once Maryah met Nathan and puzzle pieces started to fit together. It was also hard to grasp the concept of Kindrily and old souls, especially with only bits and pieces throughout until they finally tell Maryah everything. I didn't fully understand everything, but then it was crystal clear after that. :)

My Thoughts:
Like I said, I love books about soulmates and true love. Grasping at Eternity was a beautiful story, with amazing characters and a wonderful concept of old souls and reincarnation. There's more to this family, this Kindrily, and all their lifetimes together that I want to learn more about. 

I'm so glad I was approved to read Taking Back Forever on NetGalley. I can't wait to start the second installment! :)