Saturday, June 8, 2013

Review of The Human

*I received an eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly? I have mixed feelings about this book. Better review to come once I've sorted them out. There were things I loved and things I didn't care for throughout the story. And I didn't like it as much as The Bane.

My review:
Okay, so I think I have my feelings sorted out. As soon as I finished this book, I rated it 3 stars but then I thought about everything. Let me explain why I gave it 4 stars instead. 

From the very first page, this book sucked me in. I was pulled back into the post-apocalyptic world that mechanical creatures, called the Bane, are trying to wipe out the human race. And so far they've succeeded in wiping out over 99% of the world's population. The survivors of New Eden are left wondering if they are the last humans left on Earth. 

The plot is fantastic, from the technology of the Bane to the world-building that Taylor creates in this uniquely thrilling post-apocalyptic series. I also love the characters, and how they all work together to keep each other alive. These survivors will never go down without a fight.

So, why did I give it 3 stars originally, you ask? Well, I hated the love triangle. I didn't like how it was played out in the first book, and I also wasn't rooting for the man Eve chose. Now that part is just my personal preference, so I counted that out of the review. But I really didn't like how, in The Human, it didn't feel ended. Because of that, it really annoyed me in the beginning. I was over the drama between Avian, Eve, and West. I was about ready to hop on board giving Eve a new romantic interest altogether (which is completely ridiculous, I know). But I really liked the addition of that new guy, Tristan. ;)

That drama left me fighting to keep reading. It was taking me away from the love that I have for this story and the characters. Part of that could also be because I've had other books that have been capturing my attention, ones that have been on my TBR list for a long time. I finally put away the other books and focused on this story. And let me tell you, I'm glad I finished it.

Once the drama between those three characters started to die down (because it picked up again later, for reasons which I cannot tell you for fear I will spoil the story-line), I was on the edge of my seat reading because I didn't know what was going to happen next. It was like a rollercoaster ride, so many twists and turns and leaving you with a high level of energy and excitement. 

In this second novel of Taylor's world-ending series, the readers will be left with more questions and also the hope that the survivors will defeat the Bane once and for all. With that being said, go out and read this series. It's a uniquely different concept than other post-apocalyptic books on the market right now. And it won't disappoint.