Friday, June 28, 2013

The Clockwork Cathedral Review

*I received a e-copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I don't read many historical books. I don't know why that is, but maybe it has to do with the fact that sometimes they can get quite boring. Usually I'll read them if they have at least some other aspect to them other than the history and romance. 

The Clockwork Cathedral was a fascinating book, intertwining a little bit of history with the elements of time-traveling. 

*Possible spoilers in the My Thoughts section. You've been warned.

Rating: 4/5 stars!
Add to Goodreads
The Characters:
Felicia: She's a medical student, so she knows and understands science fairly well. But it took a lot of convincing from Seamus that she really did fall through a rip in time. And when she knows in her heart that he's right, her world starts to fall apart. Her family is back there. Her friends. Her nephew, who is dying. She needs to get home, but she also takes the time to appreciate this piece of the past that she's only read about in history books. I thought Felicia was a strong character, and she is especially, because she's an independent woman in a time where women were the inferior race. She's a feminist with a sharp tongue and even sharper wit. Even though she's in a different time, she doesn't stop being herself. Her courage in a frightening situation was very refreshing. 

Seamus: The crazy, mad Irish scientist who accidentally creates the time rip that brings Felicia there. He's a very quiet and endearing man, who just wants to help. And he loves puzzles, so trying to figure out why this is all happening is extremely interesting to him. He's called a mad man by fellow neighbors and society. But there's more to him than meets the eye, a past that haunts him. He's caring and kind, and he treats everyone equally in a time where women and Black people were cast aside. As he and Felicia grow closer, Seamus starts to care for this woman and her "wild" ways. For how can he let her go when he wants her stay?

Hazel:
I loved Hazel's character! A young girl, a runaway, who lives on the streets and does odd errands for the Professor. She's a genius violin player. Her past is as dark as the streets she walks down alone. With her parents gone, she has her wits and courage, but all that is tested when a figure from her past comes back into her life. Felicia helps Hazel, and Seamus lets her into his home. With people who care for her, Hazel finally feels happy. 

Mr. Grey:
He is as mysterious as his name is. He's got secrets, and he knows things. Only Hazel is the one who knows he has these secrets, and as much as she tries to get him to talk, he won't budge. And he is one of those characters who I just want to learn more about. There's definitely more to him than we all know.

***

Plot:
We meet Felicia in modern-time (which, in this case, is 2015). When an accident happens, Felicia goes to help, being as she's a medical student trying to become a doctor. But something happens. When her vision clears, everything's changed. As it stands, she's sent back in Pre-Civil war time. At first, she won't believe it. They must just be recreationists playing out their parts thoroughly well, right? Wrong. In a race against time, these four individuals must figure out why the time rips are happening, and how to send Felicia home before something terrible happens. 

The Writing:
I really liked the author's writing style and how she drew me in from the very first page. It was fairly easy to read all three main characters' thoughts. They each had their own personality. 

My Thoughts:
I truly enjoyed this book! I knocked a star off only because of my confusion on how things worked. Even when all the scientific and mechanical questions were answered, it was still hard to understand what was going on and why it was happening. But other than that, I thought it was wonderful, the historical aspects dead-on, and the lively characters a joy to read about. And I'm wondering if this is a series! Because I felt that there were still some questions left unanswered. Like, who was Dr. Fairfax? Why was Hazel still alive when Felicia got sent through that time rip on accident? Where had Mr. Grey gone and where was he really from? What group of people does he work for, if any? I also felt a little cheated with that ending! I really wanted to see Felicia and Seamus reunited. Because I don't know if it's a series, it's making me extremely curious, especially when I still have so many questions about certain aspects of the story. Mostly about the characters. And that also makes me want more of the story. :)

Well, on the cover it says "A Time Corps Novel" so I'm assuming there's more? I hope so! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love time traveling. Hummm... looks like I'm gonna have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,
    I'm glad you liked the book. In answer to your question, yes, this is book 1 in a series. Book 2, Cat's Paw, will be out later this year. Book 3, Luna Park, should be out in late 2013 or early 2014.

    You'll get answers to most of your questions in Cat's Paw.

    Heather Blackwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so excited now! I'm really looking forward to more of this story and the characters. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3