Saturday, July 6, 2013

Holder and Heartbreak: Review of Losing Hope

*Thank you NetGalley and Atria Books for the early review copy. :)

This wasn't just a retelling of Hopeless in Holder's POV, it was a fucking masterpiece. 


Heartbreaking.
Intense.
Engaging.
Gripping.
Desperate.
Passionate.
Addicting.
Captivating.
Emotional.
Honest.
Raw.

REAL.

Losing Hope was everything you ever want in a contemporary book. A heart-achingly tender and passionate romance, a love story with a beautiful couple who deserve each other and deserve to ever only be happy. And a story that pulls every single emotion out of you and makes you feel.

When I started Losing Hope, I just wanted to savor it. But as with the case of all CoHo books, I ended up finishing it in less than a day. All of sudden I check my Kindle's percent and I'm already over halfway through in only three hours. How in the hell did that happen? Remembering my promise to savor this book, I stopping reading it around 4 a.m. and told myself I really needed to go to bed so I'd be able to get right back to it later on. I don't know how I managed to wait a week after I got it to read it. Maybe I just have more self-control than I thought I did. Really, I can't believe I did wait. It was TORTURE. It was PAINFUL. It made me want to say to hell with all my other obligations. It tormented me with more of Holder. It kept staring at me, waiting for me to break. And it was so hard with that perfect and beautiful image of "Holder" on the front. 

I managed to hold off, though. To finish the books I was currently reading, and the really horrible 1 star one that I needed to review yet. I wanted to only have this one in my hands. I wanted to devout all of my attention to Holder and Sky. I wanted nothing to interrupt my time with this story. 


***

I'm always apprehensive when it comes to a companion novel that is basically a retelling of the same story but in someone else's point of view. But this never seemed like a retelling; it held its own as a completely different story. I loved having Holder's side, er.. story. I can't call it 'his side' because there weren't any sides. They both were uniquely their own stories. They each had a tale to tell. 


Three things I LOVED that Losing Hope had that Hopeless didn't:


1. The notebook. <--That was incredibly heartwarming. 
2. Les' letter. <--Holder needed this. We needed this. And my mind was blown by the revelations.
3. Daniel. <--One word, that's all you need. He's the best friend you always wanted.

I also loved the parts of Holder's conversations and interactions that we didn't get to see when it was Sky's book. The bromance with him and Daniel, the heartbreaking moments between him and his mother, all of his thoughts and feelings regarding the major plot points in Hopeless. Reading through his eyes was needed to make the story that had started in Hopeless complete. And I loved every word of it. 

***

When I hit the last chapter, I wanted to cry. I wanted to stop reading just so I wouldn't be finished with the book. And that ending.. God, it was perfect. It was everything that I could have wanted to end this amazing series, and to end Holder and Sky's story. And to include Les was simply wonderful. <3 <3

(This was within the hour that I'd finished reading Losing Hope, and I still feel this way). My heart is still racing and my eyes heavy with the tears that I've been letting go for the last 20% of the book ; it feels like I've just been hit with the loss of someone I loved dearly. I'm in shock, emotionally spent, and feeling like I'm not going to be able to move on. This wasn't just a book; this was one of those stories that stays curled up in your heart even when you want to hate the feelings it brings out in you, even when you want to stop reading because you're bawling your eyes out. But you keep going, because somehow, you just know that this book is going to change you. 

All the best ones do.

***

Two words: Dean. Fucking. Holder. 
Oops, that's three words. ;)

I fell in love with him all over again. From his sarcasm to his tenderness, from his bad temper to his loyalty. I fell in love with his passion, his kindness, his amazing soul. But most of all, I fell in love with his heart. His beautiful, damaged, and hopeless heart. 

"Fuck all the firsts, Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers." 
I don't know what will be more painful. Staying away from her so she doesn't find out, or telling her the truth and ruining her life all over again.
I used to think the best part of me died with Les, but the best part of me is standing right here in front of me.  

I don't even know how to describe to you how much I loved this book, how much I loved the characters, and how much I loved their story. Because honest to God, I'm NEVER going to forget any of this. Maybe somewhere down the road, these two books, Hopeless and Losing Hope, will be pushed to the back of my mind. But they won't be gone forever, and when I want need to read them again, they'll always be there. Sitting on my bookshelf, hiding in my Kindle. They'll be there if I ever need them. 

***Side-note:

I want companion novels, or at least novellas, of Daniel's story, Breckin's story, and Six's story. Pretty please, Colleen? I'm not asking for much, just three more novels (or, you know, as many as you want). ;) Seriously though, I really want Daniel's and Breckin's own stories, at least. Those two characters are much loved, and not just by me, but by EVERYONE. They are the best friends you would ever want. :)


***Back to review


I recommend this series to EVERYONE. To you, to your parents, to your siblings. To your neighbors, to your classmates. To the person you just met in line while waiting to grab a coffee. To the people you don't even know. 

People say that you really could read this one first, and Hopeless second. But I don't recommend that at all. Because, you see, you need Sky's reactions first. You need her story FIRST. She needs to tell it to you before Holder steals you away. I guarantee you that you will love his story just as much, if not more, and that you will want to devour it as quickly as you can. I guarantee you that with all that you felt during Sky's story, you're going to feel it twice as hard with Holder telling it. 

If you haven't read Hopeless yet, I can only assume that you've been living under a rock and have never heard of it or heard of the amazingness that is Colleen Hoover (AKA CoHo). And if you somehow have heard of it and simply passed it by when you were in the bookstore, I can only assume you don't know what a good story is when it's right in front of your face. (Sorry, that was a little harsh). But seriously, why the fuck haven't you read it yet? And why wouldn't you want to? Even if this is not your favorite genre, or these books aren't the kind that you read on a regular basis, I strongly urge you to change your mind and give it a try. I encourage you to step outside your comfort zone, to push your boundaries, and to take a leap of faith. I promise you won't be disappointed.

***

Mad props to Colleen Hoover for making me bawl my eyes out again even when I knew exactly what was going to happen. When I said it was like a new story, I wasn't kidding. Everything still hit me as hard as it did in Hopeless, if not harder. Going through it all over again was no less emotional and intense. It was no less heartbreaking. At the end, I was left with having to pick up the shattered pieces of my heart and calm the emotional turmoil inside of me. I was left in a state of happiness and sadness, for I'm happy with how it ended, but sad that it's over. 

This story and these characters make you just want to pump your fist in the air and shout: "You win, Colleen Hoover. You fucking win." 

6 comments:

  1. My god, such profound devotion for this story! Darn it, now I'm going to have to read it. It better makes me cry... and feel all that you wrote about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this book so much. :) I'm certain that even if it doesn't make you cry, you'll get teary-eyed.

      Delete
  2. I love your review! It's so good, and I agree with every word you wrote. The fact that Losing Hope isn't just a re-telling of Hopeless from Holder's POV makes it that much stronger, too, and the parts that are just that are so well done.

    Happy reading!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! :) I don't know how Colleen Hoover does it, but Losing Hope topped Hopeless is so many ways, even though it was practically the same story.
      <3

      Thank for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful review Holly. I have Hopeless up next to read and can not wait to meeet Holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, you're gonna LOVE it! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3