Saturday, October 19, 2013

Review of Bound by Night

*I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am on a vampire kick right now, and so when I heard about this book (I've never read anything by this author), I had to request it from NetGalley. I wondered what Larissa Ione would bring to the table that would be fresh and new and original in a genre of paranormal that's been overdone and unimaginative (for the most part). And I just have to say, she nailed the vampiric aspect! 

Rating: 4 stars!
Bound by Night was strongly detailed, a fact which definitely doesn't go unnoticed by me. I love books that have amazing world-building and imaginative elements; it helps give the story-line a more indepth setting. The vampiric aspect to this book was incredibly unique! I liked how it came about because of science (well, that's not the only origin story), and I enjoyed the vampire physiology details that the author put into this book. From the way they're made (and how some of them are born), to their life, to their instincts, it was all fascinating. But what they don't know is how the vampires actually came to be. It's a question that has stumped everyone around the world.

This book took a unique approach to vampires, besides their basic physiology. Humans know about vampires; in fact, vampires are slaves. Defanged servants who serve mostly the richest humans, although many scientists are trying to make vampire slaves available for all economic classes. It was like how many cultures have been in our lifetime. Think of the Civil War, for instance. Instead of humans, these were paranormal creatures. But their plight is all the same; they want freedom and each race hates the other. That fact is what made the two main characters' relationship that much more angsty and passionate, heartbreaking and romantic. The fact that they've both been taught to hate the other, though, doesn't stop the insane attraction between them.

I loved Nicole and Riker! I loved the slow build-up of their relationship, from their hatred turning into love, and their passionate arguments turning into stunning realizations. They're both wrong about the world they live in. They've both been pushed to believe their own side, never wondering if maybe their views about each other have been misconstrued. The truth of the matter is that not all humans are the same, and not all vampires are the same. It takes them a long time to come to those realizations, but when they do, it's oh so lovely. And worth it. 

The secondary characters were also very, very well-written. Most of the time, they just get pushed aside. But I really enjoyed the different types of vampires in Riker's clan, especially Myne. I can't wait to see if he gets his own story (I'm assuming this series has standalone novels). I think the next one is about Hunter, and we also find out the truth about how the vampires originated. I can't wait to read it! :)

The plot was fantastic, so very suspenseful, with gory and intense action scenes. She really portrayed the vampires perfectly, right down to the sensations they're feeling when feeding. She built up the tension between the characters, as well as between the vampire and human populations, and I loved it! 

Bound by Night was a uniquely different take on vampires, with lovable and 3-dimensional characters, and one awesome story-line!