Thursday, January 23, 2014

Emotions and Dreams: Review of Some Quiet Place

Some Quiet Place had one of the most freshest and original story-lines that I've read in quite some time. The very idea that emotions and elements are supernatural beings, and that someone with no emotions can see them, had me so intrigued to find out more about this book. To say the least, I was hooked from the very first sentence: Fear is coming.

Rating: 4.5 Hauntingly Beautiful Stars!

I was hooked from the beginning, though it took me a little time to get into Elizabeth's narrative. The main character doesn't feel any emotions, so her voice can sometimes make her seem very cold and selfish. But it was just sort of haunting with a desperate undertone. I could still connect with her as a person, and I ended up really loving her as a character. Elizabeth was someone who felt different, who didn't think she belonged in her family. And for a character who doesn't feel, her narrative was sure making me feel! The way she described everything that was happening, the way she narrated the story had me feeling every single emotion that she couldn't. Maggie's cancer, Fear's desperation and curiosity, Joshua's worry and shyness. Elizabeth tried to play the cold and unattainable person, a hollow shell with no heart. But she really did feel; she really did care about the people who never gave up on her. She just tried so hard not to show it, even going so far as to push people away by lying about her feelings. 

And she was always trying to figure out who she was and why she didn't fit in. Why she could see the other plane, the supernatural beings who show up for her friends and family on a daily basis. Longing makes regular appearances by her friend, Joshua. Fear steps in when Elizabeth needs help. Courage, the eternal enemy and brother of Fear, becomes a source of wisdom. Guilt and Resentment and Anger make regular trips to the Caldwell house. But above all, none have ever been able to touch Elizabeth, and it'll take strange happenings, cryptic dreams, a mysterious stranger, and a strong will to figure out why.

But she does have the help of Fear, a beautiful yet cold boy who can't seem to stay away from her. All the other Emotions have given up on wondering why Elizabeth can't feel them, except for this eternal being. Guys, I totally fell for Fear. <3 
"You asked me once if I ever get tired of being who I am, and the answer is this: only when I have to leave you." 
Oh, the feels! ;) While Fear seems to be a character you don't know if you can trust, his protectiveness toward the feisty and strong heroine is utterly swoon-worthy. She's a mystery to him, one he can't seem to resist. He protects her, helps her, makes her feel. Though she tries desperately to push him away, he won't budge. Their romance didn't overpower the mysterious story-line, and for that I was grateful. The love that developed between them was subtle, slow, and utterly warm. (It sort of seems like a love triangle, but there was never any choice, at least IMO).

The mysteries had me guessing right up until I turned the pages and found the answers. I may have had my own thoughts on them, but never knew I was completely right or completely wrong until the twists were uncovered. Like who Elizabeth was, why she dreams about the siblings, and who's been following her. The plot was fantastic in that it had my attention until I finished, though sometimes the pacing was a little slow, so I ended up taking longer than I usually do to read it all the way through (it may be the whole reason this is getting 4.5 stars). The whole concept of Emotions and Elements being personified was brilliant, and I thought the author did a wonderful job on building the world. It was so descriptive and so imaginative. 

Some Quiet Place was a wonderfully written, imaginative story with a unique concept. The main character's narrative was haunting yet captivating. The romance was subtle yet sweet. This was a totally engrossing novel that I couldn't stop reading.

Favorite Quote:
"If we don't take any risks, then we won't find the things worth living for." -Joshua
 

2 comments:

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3