Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review of Wind Chime Café by Sophie Moss

I've been waiting for this book ever since I finished Sophie Moss' Seal Island Trilogy. I absolutely loved those magical stories, and I couldn't wait to see what this author could do with an adult contemporary. Wind Chime Café was still full of a magic, but of a different kind. :)

Rating: 4.5 stars!
My favorite part of this novel was the story itself. Sophie Moss has a way of telling stories that instantly draws me in. From the mother/daughter relationship to the romance, from the sensitive subject of PTSD to the plot, I was hooked. 

I just adored all of the characters, especially Annie, Taylor, and Will. They were all such strong characters, but they were also going through their own struggles. Annie moved Taylor to the island after a tragic shooting at her elementary school. She just wants to find her daughter a safe place where she can grow up; she just wants to help her heal. But Taylor is much stronger than her mother gives her credit for, because she was one tough and charming child. I absolutely adored the relationship between this mother and her child. It was beautiful, and I'm glad that everything worked out in the end for them. Because they both deserved it so much. 

And then there's Will. Oh, Will. He was one tortured hero, though he'd never call himself one. He's too humble, but he's also suffering survivor's guilt and PTSD. However, his coping skills are terrible. It takes him a long time to understand why and to let it all go. And I loved how his development didn't just happen overnight. It was through his childhood friends, his caring aunt and uncle, and the healing love of Annie and her special daughter that brought him back to life. They never gave up on him, even when he gave up on himself. Though, I did not like the way he handled finding out about Taylor's father. I was very mad at him for that, but I'm glad he came to his senses! 

Their romance was very sweet, but also very passionate. They both tried to convince themselves that a fling was all it could ever be, but we all know how love works. It throws a wreck in your carefully laid-out plans, and it doesn't care how you feel about it. Will and Annie were adorable together, and I loved the, slow yet simmering, development of their relationship. :)

I absolutely love stories about tight circles of friends and family. I loved all of the relationships, from Annie and Taylor to Will and Colin. It was just so wonderful to see how warmly the single mother and her daughter were received on the island. These people truly care about their own, even if they haven't lived there long and even if they haven't been back in ten years. Will came back, and it was as if he'd never left. He let his old friends back in, and he let Annie in when he never thought he could find love. 

I thought the author handled the subjects of the school shooting and the PTSD with such care and devotion that you could tell she wanted to do the story justice. It was very emotional, very heartbreaking, but ultimately, it was so wonderfully done that I was rooting for the characters to find the strength to heal and move on from their fears. I loved their journeys of finding their ways out of the dark and into the light and healing comfort of love and security. Of community and friendships. Of wind chimes and dogs. It was all so very sweetly and emotionally written that I ended up caring about these characters so much and wanting them to have their happily-ever-afters. 

Wind Chime Café was a wonderful book about the courage of facing your fears, the strength of pushing through your struggles, and the healing powers of love. It was a beautifully written story about one woman's efforts to build a better future for her daughter, a young girl's strength to let go of her fears, and one man's struggles to accept the things he can't change. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,
    That sounds like an interesting story. Love your blog, just became a new follower!
    Happy reading!
    Myra
    http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following and stopping by my blog! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3