Saturday, February 8, 2014

NERC Review #5: Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout

*I received an eARC of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to read Such Sweet Sorrow because of this: Shakespeare characters travel through portals and battle mythological beings for true love and friendship. Like, what could be better than that? Pretty much nothing. :)

Rating: 4 stars!
I was hooked from the synopsis. Come on, it's Shakespeare's characters in an epic fantasy, battling foes to save the girl. But this book was so much more than the synopsis led on. Such Sweet Sorrow was incredibly entertaining, with charming characters, intensely rich action-filled scenes, undeniable courage, and true love.

The book is told in the 3rd person narrative, which I love, and that made sense considering that there were really three main characters. I loved the author's writing style, and how she drew me in from the very beginning. It sort of had the lyrical style of a later time period with comical relief and desperate undertones. 

I loved all of the characters! Each one of them had their own personalities, and even seemed like how they really acted (or maybe acted, as I can't remember Romeo and Juliet very well) in Shakespeare's plays. Romeo is the hot-tempered and tortured fighter. Hamlet is the slightly mad genius who learns what it means to have friends. And Juliet is the sweet and innocent girl who defied her family to be with her true love. Each of them had a role to play; each of them learned something in the end. And each of them helped bring the story to life. I loved their interactions and how they never gave up. But I think my favorite may just be Romeo. Ooh, he plays the part of the snarky bad boy well. ;)

The plot was really intense and friggin' crazy! There was so much going on, so many obstacles in their path, so many damn enemies to battle. Not just monsters, but their own minds. It was a winding path of adventure, courage, and sacrifice. Romeo, Hamlet, and Juliet had to learn how to work together to make it out of there. Let's just say, it didn't end how I expected it to. PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS ANOTHER BOOK! Like, seriously! I WANT MORE. 

Such Sweet Sorrow was remarkably well-done. It had amazing, real characters who were fearful yet braved the elements for love, friendship, and home. The action scenes were intense and sometimes scary. The use of Shakespeare and his literary works was brilliant. I loved how all of the mythological aspects tied together to create this terrifying hell. It was so good that I found myself dreading the end.