Sunday, March 2, 2014

NERC Review #7: Addicted to You by Krista and Becca Ritchie

*I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This has got to be one of my favorite books so far this year. I cannot believe it took me so damn long to read it! Some of my favorite bloggers were raving about this series, and it made me want to know if the hype was true. But it'd been sitting on my Kindle forever, and I only just got around to reading it.

Rating: 4.5 stars!
Addicted to You is told in a first person narrative by Lily Calloway. Okay, so I was kind of sad that there was only one POV, especially since I fell in love with Loren Hale and wanted to get inside his head. Maybe the other books will have his voice? I hope so!

Our main character, Lily Calloway, is addicted to sex. She's been having sex since she was thirteen years old, and she doesn't even know why she needs it so much. But ever since, she can't go a day without it, in some form or another. 

I really loved Lily's voice. Her portrayal of the story was very genuine and realistic, emotionally charged and passionate. She's a very endearing character who doesn't know how to give up her addiction for love. However, sometimes I found her to be pretty selfish. She didn't try as hard as Lo did to curve her addiction. And she was always pushing away her family members because she knew they would forgive her no matter what. But she had great character development. :)

My enjoyment wasn't diminished by Lily's selfishness, because Loren Hale was selfish too. And holy hell, did I fall for Lo. Loren Hale could be a royal asshole, but he also could be charming, sexy, and sweet. He's such a brilliantly written multi-faceted character who drinks a lot. Seriously, like gallons of whiskey and bourbon. He drinks hard liquor straight and can down 12 beers without falling over. I was actually pretty worried throughout the whole book, because I thought for sure something would happen to him. Like him getting behind the wheel of a car or getting his stomach pumped at the hospital. I seriously don't know how he was still standing. And, even though they never wanted to tell each other to stop, I wanted to slap Lily and make her stop him. Her addiction is dangerous because she can't stop, but Loren's is dangerous in the fact that he could DIE. 

Their relationship was self-destructive, but also beautiful. They've been best friends for years, been pretending they were a couple for just as long. It's the best way they know how to cover up their addictions from their families. But, even when they thought they were helping each other, they weren't. Their relationship in itself is destructive BECAUSE of their addictions. Their needs overpower the other person. They always come first. 
"I want to love you more than this," he waves his bottle, "and I don't know how else to do it unless there's something to lose."
Loren always tried harder than Lily to put her first above his bottle, and she didn't know how to help him even though she was so scared something would happen to him. The dynamic of their relationship was so very well-written that I felt everything they did. Their worries and fears. Their hopes and desires. Their bond is so tangible, and their love so intense and strong, but it warred with their addictions. 

You know, I'm always leery of books about addictions like these. Most of them aren't very well-written, and the progress of the characters don't always feel genuine and realistic. But I thought the portrayal of their addictions was so brilliantly done. The authors didn't overdramatize them, nor did they romanticize them. The character development that Lily and Lo went through with their addictions was amazingly written. They both wanted to try their hardest for each other, because their love deserved the chance. They deserved the chance at a normal, functioning relationship. But their journey wasn't going to be an easy one. They had to work at it. They had to make mistakes and learn from them. They had to realize that their love was stronger than their addictions. 

Not only was Lily's and Lo's relationship well-written, but so were the ones with the secondary characters. Connor, Rose, Ryke. Each one of them brought something to the story, and I came to care for all of them as much as the main characters. I loved their relationships with Lily and Lo, especially the addition of Ryke, and how he helped Loren. That relationship made me so emotional I cried. <3 I even liked how the relationship between Lo and his father was shown! 

Oh my, this story gave me all the feels. I was as addicted to this book as Lily is to sex and Lo is to booze. I was drawn in from the very beginning, and I couldn't stop reading. And once I finished reading, I just wanted more. More of these characters and more of their story. It was sexy, and raw, and emotionally charged. It was about two characters who loved each other so much, yet couldn't give up their addictions. It was about finding the strength to open up and accept help. It was about more than just romance, more than just a love story. Addicted to You was a very honest portrayal of self-destructive addictions and characters who don't know how to give up their needs for each other. <3

4 comments:

  1. Great review Holly, I've seen this book on GR and the premise was really interesting but I was still hesitant about it since its NA and I'm not really a huge fan. I think I'll try it out since it is different from the usual NA contemporaries out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :)

      I'm a huge fan of NA, but I've been taking huge breaks from that genre, because I've read so much and they've all been sounding the same and becoming generic.

      It is SO different! And the portrayals of their addictions are so honest and realistic. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it too! :)

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome review. I had a friend that was raving about this book not that long ago, so I had to check out your post when it popped up in my feed. Just a thought, considering this is a self-published you might be interested in adding it to the "Indie Books Read" linky at Phantom Owl Press.

    Check it out here http://www.phantomowlpress.com/#!indiebooks/c1f9i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I will check out the link for sure. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3