Saturday, April 12, 2014

Breaking Alexandria by K.A. Robinson Blog Tour Review



Synopsis:

Alexandria’s drug-dealing boyfriend, Joel, isn’t exactly the white knight she’s always dreamed of, but she can’t deny the crazy connection they have. She would do anything for him, including helping him sell drugs in order to fit perfectly into his world.

After catching Alexandria dealing for Joel, instead of turning her into the cops, Alexandria’s mother forces her to move to her grandparents’ farm in West Virginia. Spending the summer in the country, away from Joel, is the last thing Alexandria wants to do. But lucky for her, the sexy farmhand, Landon, who helps out around her grandparents’ place, is a very nice distraction. She tries her best to ignore her attraction to him, especially since she still loves Joel.

When Joel does the unforgivable, Alexandria turns to her new friend, Landon, for comfort, and it ignites an undeniable spark of attraction between them. Soon, she finds herself caught between two very different men, and the struggles within her heart just might end up breaking Alexandria.



***

My Review!

This was the first book I've read by K.A. Robinson, and it definitely won't be the last! I really enjoyed this standalone romance, and I found the MC to be likable, vulnerable, and badass at most times. I even enjoyed this "not really" love triangle. 

Rating: 4 stars!


Breaking Alexandria was really all about one character's journey to finding herself. Alexandria, or Lexi, had such a strong personality. She was all dark hair and piercings, and with a bad attitude. I never found her to be really unlikable though. I enjoyed the moments where she was vulnerable and scared, the moments when she felt lost and all alone. That's where she shined the most, letting us see behind the hardass facade. Her character development was true and genuine, and in the end, she became the person she'd known she could be. The one who mixes both the good and the bad and knows who she isI really enjoyed her voice as she went through a journey full of discovery and life, grief and heartbreak. A journey that brings her home.

In the beginning, we see the tough side of Lexi. And we also get introduced to her boyfriend, Joel. He's five years older and the most notorious drug dealer in the area. But Lexi loves him, and it seems he loves her. And it's a love that will tear them apart when Lexi's mom catches her dealing for him. Her sentence: spend the rest of summer at her grandparents' house over three hours away. And no more contact with Joel. 

It brings about so many changes in Lexi's life. Both good and bad. The good is that being away has given her time to reflect on her life choices and her relationship with Joel. The bad is that things happen that send her spiraling and leave her questioning herself and the people around her.

There, she meets Landon. He's sweet, sexy, and way too good for the likes of her. And he's the exact opposite of Joel. Where Joel's all hardness and bad boy looks, Landon is a "cowboy" with a huge heart. I liked both of them, even knowing that Joel is a drug dealer. He was still a likable character, and I kind of wish we'd seen more of him. But I think Landon brought out the best in Lexi, and he never once gave up on her. The romance and love that developed between them was sweet and sexy. 

Now, I don't know if this can be considered a true love triangle, considering all that happened. She did love both men, but events that happen in the book leave her with enough grief and heartbreak that sends her spiraling down into a dark depression. I don't want to say too much about it, except to say that I did enjoy the love triangle. And I do love how she brought herself out of it, and how she dealt with what happened. I think she did the best she could, and I loved her for that.

There wasn't much to the plot, but I never found myself bored. I enjoyed Lexi's POV a lot, and I also loved the relationships that developed. The secondary characters, like her mom and her grandma, were huge influences on her, even if Lexi and her mom fought constantly. She is a teenager, though she never always acts her age. If anything, she acts older sometimes. But she still makes mistakes (one that I really disliked), and she likes to punch first and ask questions later. However, I thought she had great character development. She was a character I found myself relating with and liking a great deal.

Breaking Alexandria was a sweet and sexy standalone romance. It was about hurt and forgiveness, anger and kindness, love and healing. But most of all, it was about one character's journey to finding the light within the darkness, and about discovering who she was along the way. :)


***

Teaser!
“Relax, okay? I’m not going to try to do dirty things to you in the back of a movie theater.” He paused for a second. “Unless you want me to.”
“Shut up and watch the movie.”

-Landon and Lexi

Readers can read the first chapter here:


***


***

 About the Author:
K.A. Robinson is the New York Times and USA Today Best Selling Author of The Torn Series and The Ties Series. She lives in a small town in West Virginia with her husband and toddler son. When she isn't writing, she is reading or listening to rock music. 
Facebook:
Twitter:
@karobinsonautho
Website:
Mailing list:

2 comments:

  1. This looks interesting! I'll definitely give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I really enjoyed it. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3