Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Make It a Double by Sawyer Bennett Release Event and Review


Last Call, #2
Adult Contemporary Romance 
Released April 21, 2014
     Amazon | Barnes and Noble | iBooks | Kobo

Brody Markham has endured a nightmare, spending the last five years in prison and losing everything that was dear to him. Now he’s back home, trying to survive in a world he doesn’t recognize anymore. While his family and friends desperately try to reach through to him, he shelters himself further and further away from their love.

Alyssa Myers has worked her entire life to distance herself from the luxurious and privileged lifestyle in which she was raised. Running her non-profit agency, The Haven, she is content to spend her days helping abused animals find sanctuary, which fulfills her in a way that money just can’t buy.

Maybe it’s that she recognizes in Brody some of the same characteristics she sees in her homeless wards, but Alyssa is powerless to stop her personal quest to make Brody whole again.

While Brody struggles to surface from the darkness, Alyssa tries to protect her heart in case he’s not willing to accept the light that she offers him.

*MAKE IT A DOUBLE can be read as a stand-alone*


***

My Review!

*I received an eARC of this from the author in exchange for an honest review. 

I don’t know why I didn’t like the first book in this series so much. Actually, I do. I was disappointed with how it turned out. Both of the MCs were childish and dramatic, and the plot was incredibly boring. But there was one character who had my attention from the beginning, one character that I wanted to understand better. And that was Brody. I wanted to know his story, and I wanted him to find true peace and happiness.

Rating: 4 stars!

Like I said, I was interested in Brody’s story from the very beginning, ever since he stepped onto the pages of On the Rocks. And let me tell you, Brody did not disappoint me! I knew he had layers, knew that there was more to the brooding ex-con than he let everyone see. This guy was damaged, harsh, and not able to find one ounce of peace in his life. But he never complained about what happened to him and accepted full responsibility for being sent to prison. He was jaded about life and love, about happiness and peace. He never thought he’d be able to let go of it all and open up to love. But he was able to with the caring and sweet Alyssa. She taught him the beauty of life and what it means to love someone so much that you’d sacrifice everything for them. Brody had to learn to let go of the past to be able to move on with his life, and I loved his development. He slowly went from a masochist and jaded character to a man who’s finally found peace and love after all he’s been through.

Alyssa was the perfect match for the dark and silent Brody. After being on the receiving end of Brody’s harshness, she’s not so sure she can be around him. But when he wants to help out at her no-kill animal shelter, she can’t say no because she needs the help. She also knows that there’s more to this man, more to his story. And she can’t help herself—she wants to know everything. But she’d never push him, because Alyssa is one of the sweetest and kindest characters. She’s spent her whole life trying to prove that she’s more than just a label, more than just her money. And she’s dealing with a jealous and possessive ex on top of it all. But through all of that, Alyssa stays strong. And she understands Brody like no other person, not even his twin, can.

The love that developed between them was slow and simmering with passion. It was clear, even in On the Rocks, that they had chemistry. And that chemistry didn't feel forced at all. I loved watching them go from hate to love in a believable timeframe. It was sexy and sweet.  

In the first book, I felt that the secondary characters were underdeveloped. But even when Alyssa and Brody start a relationship, the other characters still stayed a vital part of the story, with even more of them. I actually liked Gabby and Hunter this time around (not that I had hated them, per se). Maybe it was because they weren't the stars of the story anymore. Anyway, I was happy to see them again, as well as Casey and Savannah. One character, though he’d been in On the Rocks, was a complete mystery. And that was Wyatt. And oh boy, I want him to have his own story! Whether it’s with Casey or someone completely different, I don’t care. But I want more of that sexy cop. ;)

The plot of the story focused mostly on Brody and his attempts to find peace. Of course, Alyssa had her own POV and a stalker ex to deal with. And that never seemed out of place in the story, the deal with her ex. It didn't seem placed there to create drama or to halt the progressing of Alyssa’s and Brody’s relationship. If anything, it made them stronger together and it showed how much Brody cared about her (even if he wouldn't admit it). I never really found myself bored with the plot, and it had just enough romance, relationships with secondary characters, and even a little drama to keep me interested until the end.

I really love Sawyer Bennett’s writing style, and she’s always able to pull me into her stories and make me love her characters with their sass and strength. So, even though I thought On the Rocks was a disappointment, it didn't lesson my love for this author’s books. If anything, I’m even more excited for the rest of this series!

Make It a Double was a fantastic second book in the Last Call series. And I’m starting to see similarities to the Off series. Romantic love, strong family and friendship bonds, and a great setting; it all makes for a perfect combination. 


***

About the Author
USA Today Best-Selling author, Sawyer Bennett, is a snarky southern woman and reformed trial lawyer who decided to finally start putting on paper all of the stories that were floating in her head. She is married to a mobster (well, a market researcher) and they have two big, furry dogs who hog the bed. Sawyer would like to report she doesn’t have many weaknesses but can be bribed with a nominal amount of milk chocolate.

Website | Facebook | Twitter



Join us at AToMR Tours facebook page for Happy Hour with the Last Call Bar! From 6pm-7pm EST we will be celebrating the release of MAKE IT A DOUBLE with giveaways, quizzes, and BRODY! Grab a drink (non-alcoholic for those under 21 years of age) and stop by!