Sunday, May 4, 2014

Music and Love: Maybe Someday Review

Here's the thing. I don't willingly read books that revolve around a love triangle as the main plot device. Choices by Sydney Lane? Nope. Taking Chances by Molly McAdams? Nuh uh, no way. See, I think you can love more than one person at a time. But do I believe that you can fall in love with two people at the same time? I'm not so sure. I think the kinds of love are both different. Is it the passionate, soul-stealing, can't-live-without-this-person kind, or the kind that's reserved for friends: warm, comforting, and safe? 

Rating: 4.5 stars!
I hate love triangles. And when I heard that Maybe Someday contained one, I was wary. But IT'S COLLEEN FREAKING HOOVER. So, of course, I was going to read it. And I am so very, very glad I did. :) I have to say, though, I was unsure of my feelings on the love triangle throughout the story. I had a love/hate relationship with it. It did make me a little uncomfortable and a little mad, which is why this is only receiving 4.5 stars from me. But overall, I think this was one of the best love triangles I've ever read. Bravo, CoHo. Bravo.

The characters were all wonderfully fleshed out, as are all of Colleen Hoover's stories. I fell in love with Ridge (though he pissed me off a time or two). He was beautiful and kind, honorable and a little bit mischievous. I thought Sydney was very realistic and honest about herself and her life, her choices and her mistakes. I think she made the best decisions she could at the time, and I loved her for putting friendship above lust and her feelings for a guy she couldn't have. The secondary characters, like Warren, Bridgette, and Maggie were all wonderfully written as well. Warren was hilarious! And honest. And wise. Bridgette was a lovable bitch who was only ever herself. And sweet, sweet Maggie. So kind and loyal to the point of hindering her own hopes and dreams. My heart broke for her, and I absolutely loved how she handled everything. 

The plot didn't just revolve around a love triangle. Or was about the sexual tension between the two main characters. Or about the shit that they've both been through to bring them to where they are now. No. It was all of the above and so much more. It was about life and love, forgiveness and healing. It was about two characters who were so loyal to the point of letting go what could be the best thing they will ever have. It was about a girl who just wanted to find her footing after losing her trust and finding herself heartbroken, homeless, and in need of companionship and warmth. It was about a guy who grew up thinking he was worthless and who had to own up to his mistakes and realize that sometimes letting go is the most honorable thing he could do. It was about losing friends and gaining family. But most of all, it was about finding the courage to admit what you want and going after it so you can have your own maybe someday.

This woman, guys. Her writing is so fucking flawless. It doesn't matter what she's written, I find myself being sucked into the story and becoming friends with the characters. I don't know how she does it, but she is one talented author. And I will forever read her books. :)

Maybe Someday was one of those books that takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions that, when you're finished, will be one of the best reading experiences you'll ever have. I didn't ugly cry like I did in Hopeless or Slammed, but my heart was no less involved with this story. Colleen Hoover broke my heart, tossed the pieces in the air, and then glued them back together again. She is the queen of angst, heartbreak, and emotionality. Her characters are so well-written that I find myself not caring if I read about their lives over and over again. Add in brilliant songs, flawless writing, real characters, and a captivating love triangle, and you have one hell of a story.