Sunday, May 4, 2014

NERC Review #13: Foretold by Rinda Elliott

*I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

We NEED more books about Norse mythology! Actually, we need more books about lesser known myths and legends, period. Anyway, all I know about Norse mythology is Thor and Loki, movie-based versions. So I don't know how close this version to the actual myths, but I thought Foretold was fantastic!

Rating: 4 stars!
From the first page, I was HOOKED. I kind of loved that this story was told in 1st person; it helped to create this sense of desperation and determination in the main character. Raven Lockwood, one of the triplets, is searching for a boy she believes her mother is going to kill. All her life, Raven has heard of the prophecies describing a three-year long winter, warriors who would eventually kill one of the norns. One of the triplets. It's a prophesy that sends her mother on a downward spiral, where she's finally snapped. I loved Raven's character! She was sassy, comically so in tense situations. She was fierce and loyal, a combination that she has to figure out where she falls on the line. Is her mother really capable of this? Should she tell the kind people who have taken her in? Should she tell Vanir, the guy she's starting to fall in love with? When Raven finds Vanir, she also finds death and destruction, magic and chaos. But what if it isn't really her mother behind all of it? And what kind of secrets is Vanir's family hiding?

I loved Vanir's character! He's got the perfect blend of vulnerability and strength. He's a guy who doesn't fully understand what's coming and what part he plays in all of it. He's drowning in grief, but he's protective of Raven. Truths are uncovered, secrets played out. Vanir doesn't understand what's really happening, but he'll do whatever it takes to save the people he loves. 

Okay, so their romance was quickly developed. In truth, it'd probably be considered insta-love. It happens quickly, takes them both by surprise, and by the end, they're already in love. But I just don't care that it was too fast. That forever for them isn't totally believable. I thought they were adorable, had great chemistry, and maybe they were even destined for each other because of the souls they hold inside themselves. Whatever the case, I didn't even care that it was sort of insta-love. My love for the both of them overshadows that.

I also loved the secondary characters! I was kind of sad that we didn't really see many interactions between the triplets. I'm hoping those bonds will develop further in the next books. But I liked the additions of Vanir's family, and I also enjoyed the dialogue between the characters.

Like I said above, I didn't care that their romance developed fast. Everything about this book was fast-paced. It was intense. It was suspenseful. However, I was a little disappointed in this post-apocalyptic world. Mostly because it just happened so quickly. There wasn't much background or depth leading up to it, or to the relationships between Raven and her mom, and Raven and her sisters. I just wish this had been longer; it could have easily been 100 pages longer, and I wouldn't have been bored. I just think that if this had been a longer length, the development of the characters and this fantastical story-line could have been much more believable. I still loved the plot, and the fast pace never slowed down for me. But I just wanted a little more of it. 

Foretold was such a wonderful retelling of these Norse myths. I don't know anything about them, so I don't know if there is any truth to them or not. As a reader who just wanted a cool story about Norse myths, I got it. It was fast and intense, and I loved the characters. I can't wait for the next sisters' books! :)