Thursday, May 15, 2014

NERC Review #14: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

*eARC kindly provided by Henry Holt and Co. via NetGalley*

I can't tell you how ECSTATIC I was to be approved for this eARC! Seriously, I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book. And that synopsis hooked me. I was a goner once I started this novel. The Kiss of Deception was a truly wonderful journey from beginning to end, and I'm so mad that the sequel is not coming out until 2015! HOW DO I CARRY ON WITH MY LIFE AFTER I FINISHED THIS BOOK?!

Rating: 5 Wonderful, Deceiving Stars!

That title is, indeed, perfect. ;) Seriously, I loved everything about this novel! I've been thinking and wondering if there was anything I disliked. But. I can't find anything wrong with it.

Oh gosh, where to begin with this review? These novels are exactly the reasons why I love the genre of fantasy. It is, without a doubt, my favorite type of reading. And The Kiss of Deception is definitely on my 2014 favorites list!

The writing style was so wonderful, and so magical. Lyrical. Enchanting. It was simply the best type of writing for a fantasy story. And I was so drawn in, so addicted to what was happening, so hooked on the main characters' voices. And there was more than one POV! Oh, I just love it when stories are told in dual perspectives. Lia, the Prince, and the Assassin tell the story from alternating POVs, and I thought it was so easy to distinguish between all of them. Their narratives brought this enchanting story-line to life.

The Characters:
Lia: She was such a strong heroine, someone who would rather risk the unknown and defy her family's wishes than marry someone she doesn't love. She stuck to her guns to make a life for herself and find who she is as a person outside of being a First Daughter. She's a revolutionary with incredible courage and a heart of gold. And even faced with difficulties and hardships along the journey, she handled it with such grace and strength. She was true to her character while learning the cost of freedom and learning what it means to really fall in love.

The Prince & the Assassin: Guys, I was completely wrong when it came to who these two men were. I spent the whole book thinking I knew exactly what was going on and which one was which. When I found out I'd been wrong, I was completely floored with all of those pesky little things called feelings. You see, the author doesn't outright tell you. She keeps you guessing throughout the story, keeps you in the dark. Hell, maybe I'm the only who one (out of the people who have read this so far) that was wrong. But in either case, my heart is torn in two because of it. I have all of these conflicting feelings, so I'm just going to say this: I fell for one of them harder than the other but now I'm not so sure how I feel. 

The secondary characters, like Pauline, Gwyneth, and Berdi were all wonderfully developed and added richness to an already deep story-line. They helped Lia grow, sheltered her from her past life, and kept her safe. They were always there for her, helping hands that gave her the strength and courage to keep up with this new life. 

The Romance:
Ugh, I can't tell you anything about this because of how the author set everything up. But I can tell you that I absolutely adored the romance between two of the characters, and I still do even knowing what I now know. It was sweet and it developed slowly, so warm and innocent and adorable. So perfect for this story.

The Plot:
This book was built up with deception. It created a uniquely mysterious story-line that left me guessing throughout the novel. From the deception behind the two love interests to the mystery behind Morrighan's traditions and what the powerful people are covering up, I never once was able to fully grasp the implications behind what Lia started when she ran. Just like she never knew what her freedom had cost everyone. She thought her life would be hers after she left, but she was wrong. She inexplicably created a war that has already claimed innocent lives. And then something happens that leaves you wondering where the sequel will take us, how the characters will fare in this strange land, and what will happen to Lia. And it leaves you aching for the lovers and leaves you wishing to discover everything about this magical land.

I really can't say much about this book for fear of giving something away. But it is one I strongly recommend for those of you who love fantasy novels, who love strong heroines, and who love swoon-worthy guys. The Kiss of Deception was fucking brilliant. It was an enchanting, totally engrossing novel with strong characters, a crazy twisted plot, and an ending that will leave you aching for the sequel.


RATING: 
5 Paw Prints!

2 comments:

  1. I love this book too! One of my 2014 favorites <3 I know your feelings hahaha. I was completely wrong about who was who too and my mind literally went blank for a second when the truth came out. I had to reread it just to make sure and I went back to pondered on all the things I thought wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to reread those pages a few times to reorient myself because I'd been so completely wrong about the two guys. And it's partly why I want to reread the book, to look at with eyes open to the truth and to see all the signs that I'd missed the first time around. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3