Monday, May 5, 2014

Uncovering Cobbogoth by Hannah L. Clark Blog Tour




Uncovering Cobbogoth (Cobbogoth #1)
Release Date: 05/13/14

Summary from Goodreads:
Norah Lukens needs to uncover the truth about the fabled lost city of Cobbogoth. After her archaeologist uncle’s murder, Norah is asked to translate his old research journal for evidence and discovers that his murder was a cover-up for something far more sinister.

When she turns to neighbor and only friend James Riley for help, she realizes that not only is their bitter-sweet past haunting her every step, but James is keeping dangerous secrets. Can Norah discover what they are before its too late to share her own.


Buy Links:




***

My Review!

I've been wanting to read this book ever since I read the blurb. Fantasy is definitely my favorite genre, and I was excited to learn about the lost city of Cobbogoth (I actually thought it might be a real myth/legend). Of course, then I felt stupid. This is clearly a fantastical legend of a people called Cobbogothians. And I was pulled in from the very first page. 

Rating: 4 stars!

Like I said, I was pulled in from the first page. The mystery and suspense is there from the very first paragraph and doesn't end until that one hell of a cliffhanger. With such a suspenseful undertone, I never really got bored throughout the novel. I was always wondering what was gonna happen next, who killed her Uncle Jack, and how they're ever going to stop the evil from spreading. 

The main character, Norah, was very endearing. She was determined, curious, intelligent, and someone who only wanted to figure out who killed her beloved uncle. But instead, she gets pulled into a mystery that starts unraveling from the moment she reads his journal. It's a mystery that sends her on a path to unlocking thousands of years of secrets.


And she has the help of James, her long-time crush and next door neighbor. Now, James was a great character! I thought he was very protective but not overbearing. He was sweet yet wasn't afraid to speak his mind and stand his ground. But he's also keeping secrets from Norah. Secrets that are unbelievable yet totally easy to guess. And it just made him even more interesting.


I thought the romance between them was sweetly done. These two have been friends for a long time, but now they're finding out that they want more than that. Add in secrets, winged creatures, and a murderer on the loose, and you have one explosive and sometimes rocky relationship. I liked that it wasn't overdone or underdeveloped for the length of this story and for their transition from friends-to-lovers. 


I guess I'd say that the only thing I really disliked about this book was that the pacing was slow. It took me longer to finish it than most books do at this length. I found my interest straying even though the suspense never ended. The mystery, though, was wonderfully done and was unraveled in a good timeframe. And I also found Norah to be a little naive surrounding certain elements of the story. Certain secrets that were quite easy to figure out.

Overall, I thought this was a great first book in a new series about a myth becoming real and a people who were found after being lost to history. 


***

About the Author:
Hannah L. Clark is the author of the YA fantasy-adventure "Uncovering Cobbogoth." It is the first book in a planned 7 book series. It will be released by Cedar Fort Publishing on May 13, 2014. Hannah lives in Pleasant Grove, UT with her husband and son.

Author Links:

***GIVEAWAY***
1 $50 Amazon gift card and a poster of one of the book's illustrations signed by the illustrator, Rebekah G. Shakepsear (US only)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Holly! I just wanted to stop by and thank you for being a part of "Uncovering Cobbogoth's" blog tour. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read the book. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3