Monday, June 30, 2014

June Recap

Damn, where did this month go? Seriously. This month went by so incredibly fast that I can't believe July is already here and half of 2014 is gone. I feel like I didn't really do anything this month, and it was full of both good and bad.

The Good: 
*I went to an author event on the 14th and got to meet Bethany Neal!! She is the debut author of My Last Kiss and I actually have a giveaway going on for a signed hardcover of the book. To enter, click here

*I got a lot of reading done, and many of those were NetGalley reads. My feedback to approval ratio is now up to 30%. Woop, woop!

*I surpassed my Goodreads goal of 100 books! I've bumped it up to 175 now, and I know I'll reach it by the end of the year.

*I've made it to 40,000 words on my WIP! I'm more than halfway done with the story, but I have a feeling I'm going to be surpassing my goal. :)

*I went and saw The Fault in Our Stars with my friend! The movie was good, followed the story-line well. But as I only enjoyed the book, I wasn't wowed by it and it didn't make me cry. It was good, though. 

*I started doing weekly memes again! I'm currently participating in Top Ten Tuesday and Waiting on Wednesday. They are so much fun! I encourage all of you to participate in a weekly meme and hop around to the other blogs.

*I've got so many ideas for blog events and posts for the future! I'm excited to get the ball rolling on one of them especially. I'll be emailing authors for it tomorrow. *crosses fingers* I hope I get a positive response about it. (While I'm at it: if you have an event where you want to involve other bloggers, don't hesitate to send me an email! You can find it under my "Contact Me" tab). I say this, because for the first time, I'm participating in one of my favorite bloggers' events for the end of July and early August. I'm so excited!

*I GOT APPROVED FOR A HARPERCOLLINS NOVEL! And that has NEVER happened before! That day I read the email telling me I could download The Queen of the Tearling was just the best! I've been trying to get them to approve me ever since I joined Edelweiss. I'M JUST SO HAPPY. 

*I also got approved for a Disney-Hyperion novel for the first time! I can't wait to read Stitching Snow. It's one of my highly anticipated fall releases. 

*I won some pretty awesome books from giveaways, though I don't ever share pics. My favorite had to have been a personalized copy of Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein. :)


The Bad:
*I feel like I wasted too much of my month reading and playing Black Ops. This summer has been flying by, and I don't have much to show for it. It's kind of pathetic.

*There has been a bit of family drama going on, and I don't know how to what to do about it. It's been a hard month for us.

*A week and a half ago, I was in the emergency room for 4 hours. I had another kidney stone. It was so painful, and I fucking hate being in the hospital. And because of it, I had to miss my best friend's little sister's open house. UGH.


*June has just been a bad month for me throughout my life, and I just didn't care when it came around this year.


I guess June wasn't so bad, considering I had more in the good section. But, it still felt like the worst month so far this year.

***


A month in reviews!

*Heated by J Kenner
*Rules of Survival by Jus Accardo
*Her Dark Places by Kelly Killarney
*Descent by Kallie Ross
*The Stepsister's Tale by Tracy Barrett
*The Revealed by Jessica Hickam
*Perfect Kind of Trouble by Chelsea Fine
*Drowned by Nichola Reilly
*The Fever by Megan Abbott
*Carnival by K.B. Nelson
*Heart Shaped Rock by Laura Roppe
*The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa

My favorites were The Iron Traitor and Drowned. My least favorite was Descent. God, that book was so bad. But I read none that I TRULY loved on this list. The 4.5 and 5 star reads of June belong to Shatter Me, Code Name Verity, Deeper and Harder. :) I just didn't put them up on my blog. Though, I'm doing a double review for Robin York's two novels and that will be up tomorrow!

***

For July, my reading schedule is incredibly tight since I decided to do a bunch of blog tours with my regular pile of NetGalley ebooks. I'm hoping to get all of them done by the 15th, so I can start back on the NG books I missed that published this month. Only 3 of them, so it's not so bad. I'm still trying to make up for going crazy when I first heard of that awesome website. Other than that, I'm hoping to do more cool events/posts for my blog and start thinking seriously of a new design. I'll keep doing my weekly memes and keep reviewing, but I want to add more, especially discussion posts! 

Also, there is an awesome author event in Grand Rapids on the 24th, I think. Susan Dennard and Aimee Carter will both be there, and I so want to meet them! I hope I can get to that, as well as spend some time with my cousins and best friend. I miss them all so dearly. 

So, that's it! Stay tuned into Part of that World for new reviews, blog tours, and weekly memes. :)