Tuesday, July 1, 2014

(4) TOP TEN Classics I Want to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is: Top Ten Favorite Classic Books or Top Ten Classics I Want To Read.

***

This was a great TTT discussion, because I've been wanting to read some of the classics and actually enjoy them. When I read To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men, and The Hobbit (is this considered a classic?) in my high school English classes, I didn't like them. Well, I did like Mockingbird, but I don't even remember much about it. I did love The Hobbit, but I never actually finished it the TWO times I had to read it in high school. Oh, same goes for The Great Gatsby, though I never finished that one either! 

But I've been wanting to read classics like those ever since, and I don't even know why. I guess... they're challenging, ya know? They're full of metaphors and old-time lessons. They're written in a class of English we don't talk like anymore. And I finally started reading Jane Eyre, because my friend Liz and I want to go through all of these classics. We've only read and discussed the first two chapters, but it was so much fun! I can't wait to continue with our buddy read. 

*clears throat* Anyway, here are the top ten classics I want to read! :)


1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

2. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

3. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

6. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

7. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

8. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

9. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

10. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Honorable mentions: Oliver Twist, The Three Musketeers, Gone with the Wind, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (and Huckleberry Finn).

Pretty much, I want to read all of them. :)

***

What classics do YOU want to read? Or which ones have you read that you really loved? As always, leave me a link to your TTT this week so I can stop by! :)

Oh, and I also have a giveaway going on for a signed copy of My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal. To enter, click here

18 comments:

  1. Little Women is long overdue, I need to read that! Enjoyed The Scarlet Letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Women has been on my radar for so long, I can't believe I haven't read it yet.

      Delete
  2. I love these!! The Lord of the Flies is such an epic read!

    Angie
    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I was disappointed when Lord of the Flies wasn't one of the books I had to read for an English class in high school. I need to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adored Lord of The Flies and Little Women. Both fantastic books. I really hope you enjoy them when you get around to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Both of those are high up on this list. I hope I can read a few of them this summer. :)

      Delete
  4. Wuthering Heights is amazing! I adore that book and I have lost count of how many times I've read it. Great list!


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I so want to read that one!! :)

      Delete
  5. There are lots of books on your list that I'd like to read, Little Women, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Lord of the Flies, Wuthering Heights. I read The Catcher in the Rye and Pride and Prejudice and loved both of them, I can more than recommend those to anyone. :)
    Here's my list: http://www.reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/06/top-ten-classics-i-want-to-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! I don't know where my head was when I forgot about them lol Catcher made my list as well. Great choices!

    Our TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I missed so many! And it was also so hard to narrow down my choices!

      Delete
  7. I've read most of these and I absolutely love Wuthering Heights and Lord of the Flies :) I hope you will enjoy the books on your list when you get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it seems those two are quite popular! I must read them. :)

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time with classics too! Mostly because I don't understand what's going on because of the language. But I've also always wanted to read the Picture of Dorian Gray and the Catcher in the Rye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very challenging, and I think that's what I love the most about them. And those two are definitely at the top of my list! :)

      Delete
  9. I am so bad with classics too, and like you, a lot of it is the language. I don't want to translate something and then figure it out, I just want to read! Anyway, I have read quite a few of these (shockingly) and the ones I've read I mostly did not mind! Lord of the Flies was decent, and so was Little Women and The Scarlet Letter. I think you've picked some great ones to start with!

    -Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the language is just very... sophisticated. It's hard to understand a lot of what's going on. But I want to push myself to read all of these, as well as the ones I had to sacrifice and leave off this list. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3