Tuesday, July 22, 2014

In Which I Ask For Your Help

So, here's the thing. I want to change my blog. Problem is, I don't know how to go about doing that. I have two options, and I need some serious advice on which one I should pick. As this won't just affect me, I want YOU GUYS, my followers, to share what you think I should do. 

I honestly don't know what really changed. It just hit me all of a sudden, yesterday, that I could make a new name for myself. Because that's what I've been wanting. I've kind of been wanting to change not just my design but EVERYTHING about my blog. And that includes the name. You see, I didn't pick it out. My friend actually thought it up for me. And while at the time I loved it, I didn't think it through very well. I didn't research it. I didn't know someone else already had it until I started thinking seriously of a new design this summer (now I feel like I stole it). And before that I'd been reflecting over what I wanted from my blog, what I wanted to change or do differently or add. I implemented a new review policy and confessed everything about my blog. But now that I'm thinking of features/events/ideas and all the like, I want to make sure that I'm going to stick with Part of that World before doing that stuff. And I just read this link today about blogging your own way, which has me thinking even more. So, I have to make a choice.


***


Option 1: I change Part of that World completely. New name, new design, new everything. But I still have the same blogspot, old posts, and followers.

Option 2: I start over from scratch with my new blog on wordpress this time, which would mean no more PotW.

Each of these options has pros and cons, and I'm trying to weigh them. But they're both pretty equal.


Option 1
Pros:
*I still keep all my followers. This is a big one for me because I've worked hard over the year and a half I've been blogging to get people interested in Part of that World. And I don't want to lose all of them. Of course, the # of followers doesn't mean as much if people aren't reading my posts (I talked about this in my top ten blogging confessions--link above). But it also helps me get approved for ARCs and blog tour stops. And the more people who are reading my blog, the more I can help authors get their work out there!
*I've built something with PotW, no matter how much I don't like it right now. 

Cons:
*It will take a long time for people to stop associating me with my old name (if they do at all). I host for a lot of book tours and do a lot of promo work for them. I have a few author friends that I talk to quite a bit. I'm on a few street teams. I've made some blogger pals that I talk to frequently on here, GR, and Twitter. So, how do I just up and change my name without confusing everyone?
*I've been commenting on people's blogs with: Holly @ Part of that World. It would be a mess for me to start changing that, especially if people actually remember me. It would be a mess all around.

***

Option 2
Pros:
*I have free reign do anything I want. And I know exactly what I want this time.
*I get to start over completely from scratch. I can do things differently. When I created my blog, I didn't know anything about the bookish community I was joining. I wish I had. But I'll know better this time around
*No one would associate me with Part of that World. This is a pro for me, because I'm kind of over it. I'm getting tired of the same old, and I also just don't feel like PotW fits me anymore. Not to mention, I know of another blogger who has this name. And I feel like my blog isn't original at all.

Cons:
*I lose all of my followers. Please read my Pro in the top option for why that's a bad thing here. :)
*I built something with this blog. For better or worse, I made something with PotW. I don't know that just up and leaving it is a good thing. But would people actually miss my blog?

***

As you can see, I have A LOT to think about! I won't make this decision lightly, but I need all the help and advice I can get. I don't know what the best option is, and I could really use some bits of wisdom!

And seriously, I don't really know what happened. One minute, I was just thinking about designs and new features, and the next, I'm already creating a completely new blog. It's ridiculous how my mind operates (this is how I never finish my stories). And then I started seeing some stuff on Twitter about theft and people stealing reviews/ideas. It prompted a fairly popular blogger to quit. And it made me nervous because my blog name is not original to me. I don't want to be accused of stealing, and now I feel like I'm lacking in creativity. I've been thinking about it for awhile, trying to figure out what I should do about it. I was stressing about it. And then it hit me with this new idea. I'll change everything, especially the name, instead of just getting a new design

And then I started thinking about my new blog name and I JUST GOT EXCITED! I have plans; I have ideas. I have this whole thing organized in my head. I want to change it because this is what I want! And don't worry, this time I actually googled first and found out the name I want is not taken. And the few that are close to it aren't book blogs. So, I'm good on that. Not to mention, it's perfect for me because the name is a bit personal. It's me, with originality. :)

But then starting over completely also appealed to me. So, now I don't know what to do. Guys, this WILL happen. Soon, I will choose one of these options. I'm serious about this new blog name and design in my head. It's what I wanted, actually, before I chose Part of that World (if you remember my old blog name, you'll have a good idea). In a way, it's more me. And I just kind of want a do-over. Maybe it's too late to do this; maybe I shouldn't. Maybe no one would even care or noticed if the name changed. But I'm going to choose an option, with or without the advice. If you want shout at me: HOLLY, YOU CAN'T DO THIS! Then fine. If you want to help me decide, then I'd appreciate the advice ten times over. Or if you just want to say hi, then feel free. :) But I could use some blogger love right now.

10 comments:

  1. Even though I don't comment a lot (comments on blogger don't work right for me, so I am not sure that this is even going to go through) I do read a lot of your posts! I think the decision is something that shouldn't be taken lightly and it is a lot to think about. I considered moving my blog a few times now too, I figured before we get too big and we get nervous about the follower things. But to be honest I have seen a lot of bloggers talk about how GFC doesn't matter. But I see your dilemma.If you do go down the path of changing check some of Ashley's blogging tips, she has talked about moving from blogger to wordpress and changing your blog name. ( http://www.nosegraze.com/category/bitchin-book-blog/blogging-tips/) But really just listen to what your heart tells you, what would you be most happen with? Good luck! <3

    Amber @ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much!! As a blogger, it's always nice to hear that people read your posts. And I will definitely check out that link. I never even thought of changing the name after moving it to wordpress, so I'll have to look into that option. :)

      Delete
  2. I think if you'd feel more comfortable and confident with a whole new blog and name, then you should go for it! I think the key is, that you'll have to do a whole lot of subtle reminding if you do want people to know it's you, and be extra active in the blogging world, but if you're up for it, then yay!

    Now, as for the choices.. ugh. This is hard. I know a LOT of people prefer Wordpress. (I personally am fine with Blogger, since I know how to use it and feel comfortable with it and it's free and all that ;) ) I would personally be quite sad to lose my followers, because I love sharing stuff with them, and I would be pretty bummed that they weren't around. I'm not sure how it works, but I know you can transfer *some* stuff over to WP if you wanted. Obviously, GFC followers wouldn't transfer, but I think you can set up Bloglovin and email and stuff to transfer. There are a lot of tutorials and such that could probably answer far better than I am, but I did look into it briefly before deciding I couldn't deal with it ;)

    Also, if it helps any, I think that we all have those past posts and such that make us absolutely cringe. I just figure it's all part of the process. I look back and was like "what was I thinking!?" and I assume a year from now, I will be telling myself the same thing ;)

    I also had a similar moment a few months ago, where my blog was just plain bumming me out. I felt like it was all just "meh" and I needed an overhaul. I didn't change my name, but I revamped everything- it didn't even look like the same blog at all. So if you think a change will inspire you, DO IT! It honestly really helped me- I'd been feeling really down and it was so nice to have the change.

    Good luck! I am excited to hear which you choose- and what the new name will be :)
    -Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your help!!! I completely forgot that you can probably transfer your Bloglovin' followers. If I do switch to wordpress, I'll look into all of that. But right now I'm leaning toward just changing everything about my blog, so I'm more worried about how messy it would be to create a new name. I guess I'd just have to work hard to get everyone on-board with it. At the moment, I think that'll be easier than starting over (though that is still kind of appealing).

      And I know--I really want to do this change, and I'm just so excited about this new name. I can't wait to change it and redesign my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. I started my blog earlier this year on blogger and then shortly after moved it to a self-hosted wordpress blog and I am soooo glad I made the switch! I kept my name, but I changed everything else about my blog, and I have no regrets :) I have a tutorial on my blog with my walk through of the switch, if you're interested in the nuts and bolts of going to a self-hosted blog. Also, I lost my GFC followers, but I was able to transfer my bloglovin followers. And I was able to redirect traffic from my old blog to my new one, so most of my GFC followers ended up re-following me through a new following option. I made the switch a couple of months ago and I've since surpassed the number of followers that I initially had, before I made the switch, so no lasting harm was done to my numbers because of the change :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you for all the help! I haven't looked into wordpress too much, but I'm thinking that if I do switch, maybe it would be easier to do the name change and everything else with it? I don't know. But I'll keep that in mind. :)

      Delete
  4. I think it's a big decision, and that ultimately, you'll probably make the right one. Regardless, of what you choose to do, I'll continue to read your blog, as I would hope any followers of mine would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much!! I've been worried about how this would affect followers, and it's so nice to hear that you'll come along this journey with me when I choose to do it. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry for commenting so late, I've been wanting to put in my two cents but haven't had the time to comment. :/

    I completely understand your dilemma. People change, tastes change, and sometimes you just get tired of the old. Some of my old posts were really cringe-worthy and I try not to read them, but I think of it like this: in my eyes, a blogger has much more credibility and experience if they have a history of posts to back them up, and I know many publishers see it this way too. Also, no matter how embarrassing your old posts may be, it's interesting to see how much you've grown as a reviewer, blogger, and overall, writer. But in the end, it's up to YOU and what you're comfortable with.

    I've fumbled with Wordpress for a blog I had to write for school, and I gathered two things: one, the formatting of the posts is very organized, and two, the layout and design is pretty limiting. If you want a more intricate design and freedom to edit the template as you please, I'd recommend staying with Blogspot. But if you want a more simplistic look, I'd say go for Wordpress.

    I hope I helped! And remember, this is all about you so if you really want to do something, don't let followers or anything stop you from doing it! Regardless of what you choose to do, I'll be a reader of your blog wherever you decide to take it. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, your second paragraph is why I decided to just change everything about Part of that World instead of starting over from scratch! I love what I've done here--I just need a change. And I'm so excited about this new name and design I have in my head. After I do this, I won't be changing it again.

      Thank you for the info about Wordpress! I don't think I'm going to switch (seems too hectic) and I love having the freedom to do what I want with the design and posts.

      And thank you!! I'm pretty sure you were one of my first ever followers, so I'm glad to know you would stick with me. I hope to do this soon, but I have to get people on-board with it. It'll be hard. But I'm excited. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3