Thursday, July 3, 2014

Perfected Blog Tour and Review

 


Perfected
Release Date: 07/01/14
Entangled Teen

Summary from Goodreads:
Perfection comes at a price.

As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.

Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows…and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating.

But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving…and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death.

For fans of Keira Cass’s Selection series and Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, and a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow.


Buy Links:

Praise for Perfected:
“Compelling, imaginative, and unique. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough!”
— Mary Lindsey, author of Shattered Souls

***

My Review!

This book had one of the most intriguing blurbs I've read in awhile. The idea that there are girls bred to be like dogs for the richest of the rich left me wondering how the hell this happened in the first place and what it's like for these "pets." Or, what they should really be called: slaves.


Rating: 3 Stars!

The concept was fantastic! Even though, as a feminist, it pissed me off so much. The main character was treated like a fucking dog. A DOG. I hate whoever created these laws. HATE 'EM. *takes deep breath* *climbs down from soapbox* I know it's just a book.. I know it's a dystopian. Still doesn't mean I have to like it. Not that it took away any enjoyment from the story, but UGH. The horror!


***

Ella is one of these girls bred from the Greenwich Kennels. In the beginning, she and 20 other girls who were born to serve the rich folks, are auctioned off to the elite who joined a lottery to be one of the lucky people to buy one of them. Ella, the main character, is bought by Senator Kimball and brought to their home. She lives in luxury, is there to serve their family, and is incredibly naïve about everything. 

Her naiveté is very understandable, considering how she's been taught to be the perfect slave for whoever buys her and doesn't know anything else about the world. But I still would have liked it if her character were more curious and rebellious about things (like most MCs in dystopian novels). She's not, though. Even when she could have freedom, she chooses the Kimballs. But I can handle that; Ella has a long way to go, especially considering she was bred like a fucking dog (sorry, I just can't get over that). In this book, she's learning all about life and love and relationships and people. Stuff they can't teach her at the kennels. And I can't wait to watch her grow into her own person even more. But you would think with what the story is about, I'd feel something with Ella's voice. However, the way she told the story didn't evoke any strong emotions in me, except anger.

The romance was sweet and charming; full of firsts and secret rendezvous in a beautiful garden. It was developed really nicely; no insta-love or eye-roll cheesiness (which could have happened because of how naively innocent Ella is). Penn was a great, complex character who didn't really know how to feel about Ella. Should he be ashamed of his family? Should he fall in love with a slave? The secondary characters were fleshed out as well, though I liked some more than others. 

The plot, though, was my main problem with this. I felt that it dragged in parts, slowed down when it should have been more intense. It was mostly Ella wandering around and trying to figure out her new life and not knowing anything about what is going on. Actually, what is going on? There was a lack of background information that annoyed me so much. You can't honestly expect me to believe that people were able to pass laws for slavery when we spent a FREAKING WAR destroying it! Oh, but they're not slaves. They're companions. Whatever. I wish the elusive why to how this happened was brought out in this book. But it wasn't, and I think the corrupt politics and "dark underworld" the synopsis eludeded to should have been more prominent in the story. 

I have no clue if this is part of the series, because the ending is so sudden it leaves you looking back and forth trying desperately to find more pages to the story. That ending feels so open that there has to be a sequel. 

This book was really fast-paced, even if it dragged in some parts. It didn't take me long to finish. There was a sense of danger surrounding Ella and her stay in the senator's house, and I was intrigued by concept of these girls being bred for rich folks. Perfected had a unique, dystopian quality to the story and I really liked it! 



***

About the Author:
Kate Jarvik Birch is a visual artist, author, playwright, daydreamer, and professional procrastinator. As a child, she wanted to grow up to be either a unicorn or mermaid. Luckily, being a writer turned out to be just as magical. Her essays and short stories have been published in literary journals including Indiana Review and Saint Ann’s Review. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband and three kids. To learn more visit www.katejarvikbirch.com

Author Links:
https://www.facebook.com/katejarvikbirchbooks

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book even if I know how much the slavery will annoy me too. I hate books in which some some characters are treated shitty, while others are rich as hell and I hate that even more that these characters tend to be girls. Anyway I'm still really excited. Great review, I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I fucking hated the slavery aspect (even though that's what the book is about, essentially). Like, we spent a war ending it and you expect me to believe laws were passed for it? Not buying it. But I did like the book!

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3