Tuesday, August 12, 2014

(10) Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read

I'm the type of reader who will usually give ALL books a chance. But there are some that I keep pushing away for reasons that either A) involve the hype, B) involve hearsay from others, or C) involve the synopsis.

***

Vampire Academy
I don't know why, but I'm just not that interested in this series. I have this book sitting on my kindle, and I haven't even thought about reading it. Not even when the movie came out. Maybe I'm just burned out on vamp books?

The Selection
It has amazing reviews, but I'm still not sold on the idea of it. I've heard mixed things about the love triangle, especially. I think it's made me wary of reading it. 

Half-Blood
Okay, so after DNFing both Obsidian and Wait for You, I'm wary of all Jennifer Armentrout books. I loved White Hot Kiss, but I'm still nervous about reading this book. It sounds so good, and I just don't want to be disappointed (plus I already know how the love triangle ends).

Matched
Again, this is another one of those series that have mixed ratings. Two of my friends have actually read this, and one of them finished the series. But they both had different views on it, and one of them hated the love triangle (that's a negative in my book).

Four: A Divergent Story Collection
I loved the first book and the second, but after Allegiant, I'm kind of fed up with all of it. I gave it 4 stars, but honestly? When looking back, I know I would have given it less. Because I hated that ending, and I hated how it changed one of my favorite book boyfriends. He just wasn't the same, and I find myself not caring to read these short stories, even if they are about him.

Fallen
This has to go on my list, because I've never read a Lauren Kate novel and I'm not sure I want to. I've heard so many bad things about her books, especially about the writing (which is a huge negative for me). BUT HER COVERS ARE JUST SO PRETTY.

All That Glows
Most of the reviewers that I trust and value for their opinions hated this book! It sounds great, but I've skimmed their reviews and saw a lot that I would hate if I read it. And I'm just not that interested in it.

Of Triton
So I gave the first book 3 stars, but I honestly didn't enjoy it that much. The characters were annoying, I hated the switching of 1st and 3rd person POV, and I didn't care for its take on mermaids. I'm just not interested in finishing the trilogy.

The Lonely
I'm really, really unsure about this book! That synopsis is vague as hell, and this just sounds so freaking weird. PLUS THAT COVER. I MEAN WHAT THE HELL. It's kind of creepy...

The Host
I LOVE this movie!! I made the mistake of watching the movie before reading the book, so now I'm nervous about starting it. I keep putting it off. I feel like this would be one of those times where I love the movie more. Plus, the book is so freaking long. I would love to read it, but for now, I'll just fangirl over the movie. ;)

***

If you loved one of these books, please let me know why you think I should read it below! I will always (okay, mostly) try a book, even if there's a good chance I won't like it. 


So which ones made YOUR list? As always, leave me a link! :)

26 comments:

  1. I can't offer any advice. I have decided to skip most of the books you listed, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for stopping by anyway! :)

      Delete
  2. I couldn't get into Fallen, I tried three times and just couldn't. Half Blood was like Vampire Academy but with Gods and Goddesses that made it a bit more interesting and easier to handle. I loved The Selection, I wasn't sold on it until I read if for the second time. Love triangles are a pain sometimes. The Host was a very good book. The first one hundred pages is a bit slow, but it picks up. They cut a lot of important things from the movie. I hope if you do read some of these you enjoy them! :D

    Amber @ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about Half-Blood, even if I'm wary of JLA's books. Love triangles also always make me wary of a book. And ah, The Host. I just don't want that ruin my love for the movie (weird, huh?). Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. The Host book was SO much better than the film, and I like them both. You get so much more from the book, because the whole two-people-in-one-head concept was pretty tricky to convey on-screen, but simple in text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's awesome to hear! I hope I can set aside some time to read this because it is super long. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. Half Blood is on my list this week too. I just can't decide whether to read it or not! I liked Matched, but I couldn't get on with the second book, so I gave up with that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the whole Matched series on my desk, but I just haven't wanted to touch it yet. I might wait a bit..

      Delete
  5. The covers are just so pretty! - okay.. so yes. That just about sums up why I read all four Fallen novels by Lauren Kate. I think I would have liked the first book more if I didn't feel like it was just Twilight in different packaging. It's not the same but very reminiscent of it.

    I love Vampire Academy but I understand being burnt out on Vampire books. It was a series which took a while for me to get into but now I'm such a huge Richelle Mead fan and Bloodlines - the VA spinoff - is one of my favourite series.

    I read Half-Blood and liked it but it was very similar to Vampire Academy (which you haven't read so it wouldn't be a problem for you).

    If you liked the Host movie then I think you'd like the book. I really enjoyed the book when I read it but thought it dragged on a bit. There was just some parts which I felt could have been covered in a paragraph and yet SMeyer took a hundred pages. But a good story anyway :)

    As for the Selection - it was what I expected. A somewhat dystopian version of The Bachelor. But a little more predictable. An entertaining read but nothing all that surprising happened.

    If you do read any of the books on your list, I hope you enjoy them :)

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thanks for all the advice! It's very helpful. :)

      Delete
  6. The writing in Fallen sucks, but I remember thinking the book was ok if a bit stupid the first time I read it. Just don't make the same mistake that I did and reread it.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll put off a Lauren Kate novel longer. I really want to try Teardrop first anyway. :)

      Delete
  7. I really liked the Vampire Academy Series but Bloodlines is far better. The Selection trilogy is one of my favorites, I know that many people hate on the story but I really liked it. Well, about the love triangle... to me it was obvious all along who America will choose, and this is the only reason why I could accept a love triangle because I hate those in general. I read all three books in The Matched trilogy but I hated them. The love triangle really is bad. I had exactly the same feelings about Allegiant, Tobias changed a lot, I couldn't like him. This book was one of the most anticipated ones before I read Allegiant but now I just don't care. I really liked Fallen but hated all the other books in the series, mostly the second which was one of the worst books I've ever read.
    Great list!
    Here's mine: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/08/top-ten-books-im-not-sure-i-want-to-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, those love triangles either kill the mood or make you bow down to the awesomeness that the author created with it. Yeah, and Four and Fallen are just two that I don't care about. Not really.

      Delete
  8. The Host movie was rubbish compared to the book so I suggest you read it! It is long but it is worth it.
    http://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/top-ten-tuesday-not-so-sure-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, really? I wonder if I'd have that same feeling if I'd read the book first. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  9. If you weren't keen on Of Poseidon then definitely skip the rest of the trilogy. >_< Ugh, I'm sorry to say that...buuuut, I LOVED book #1 and absolutely loathed book #2. My sister was the same as me and she went on to read book #3 and said it was even worse. So I'm throwing the rest of the series, probably. :|
    I haven't read Fallen, but I probably am not going to either after the dismal thing that was Teardrop. I'm sorry! I just! Didn't connect at all?!
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound promising at all! I think I may just skip out on the rest of the Syrena Legacy trilogy. And UUUUGH. I've been wanting to read Teardrop, because that cover IS JUST SO FREAKING PRETTY. And I'm very much a cover junkie.

      Delete
  10. VA is great after you read a few books from the series. Don't watch the movie it's not really good :/ And ignore the name :P
    The first book from The Selection was entrataining enough but the second book though addicting studpid. It is basicially ABOUT a love triangle. The main character is the most annoying MC ever and she just keeps changing her mind about the two guys ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE.

    My TTT: http://booksquoteasanddimples.blogspot.com/2014/08/top-ten-tuesday-2-books-im-not-sure-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that sucks about The Selection! I've heard those exact things about the series, and I'm just not that interested in an MC like that. Also, I'll give VA a try. It just might not be for awhile. :)

      Delete
  11. I love love love THE HOST and it is a thousand times better than the movie. I also looove The Selection series and would definitely recommend it. I really liked OF POSEIDON, but OF TRITON was a major sophomore slump and a bit of a disappointment, and I still need to read OF NEPTUNE.

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, I love hearing that! Loved the movie and I really want to read the book. It seems you either love or hate The Selection series. And I think I'm done with the Syrena Legacy series. I'm just not interested in it. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  12. READ THE HOST. Done. No seriously, you gain so, so much more insight from the book than the movie. It started off a little slow, but ended up being one of my all-time favorites! I do plan on reading The Selection, even if it is a bit cheesy ;)

    I read Matched, and I liked it quite a bit. There is a heavy love triangle though, so that may sway you. And as for the Four stories.. ugh. I don't even know what to say! I just reviewed them on Monday, and it's tough, because they are partially old-Four, partially crappy, Allegiant-y Four. So maybe for your sanity, skip them?

    -Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay, you've convinced me! I will give The Host a try (when I'm not bogged down with ARCs). And ooh, heavy love triangles always make me wary. But I do want to try all of these books. :)

      Delete
  13. I'm going to be a bad person, and just say that I did not like Of Triton. It was one of the first books I actually DNFed, and I just didn't like how everything was going on way too fast, and ugh. Ok I'm done. I've also been avoiding VA and The Selection just because.....those covers. And dresses. And the MC is named America? Like wut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, definitely done with that series. I just don't even care about the sequel and the finisher. Hmm, maybe we should make each other at least try those series? :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3