Saturday, August 9, 2014

Blog Tour and Review: Tortured Souls



Tortured Souls
The Orion Circle #1
By Amazon Bestselling Author, Kimber Leigh Wheaton
YA Paranormal Romance

Blurb
Sometimes Rest in Peace isn't an option
Kacie Ramsey sees ghosts—and it's ruining her life. Her mother left, her father blames her, and no matter how hard she tries, she can't keep the ghosts away. Now a new power has emerged. Nightly visions of grisly murders and a relentless predator draw her to the brink of insanity.

When the phantom appears at a party, Kacie's longtime crush, Logan, saves her. He invites her to join the Orion Circle, a group of supernatural hunters with chapters in schools all over the country. Through the Circle, Kacie learns to embrace her spiritual powers, and for the first time in her life she feels in control rather than a victim.

But the Foxblood Demon will not give up so easily. A demented serial killer in life who trapped the souls of the thirteen children he murdered, imprisoning them within the walls of his mansion. Now in death, he plots his return while drawing power from the pure souls of the children. He recognizes something in Kacie he's never seen before—a medium powerful enough to provide a vessel for his tainted soul.

Kacie can't ignore the tortured souls of the children crying out to her every night. With Logan at her side, she will fight the Foxblood Demon. But can they banish this powerful phantom, or will Kacie lose not only her body, but her eternal soul to the monster.

***

My Review!

I love books about paranormal investigators, like Ghostbusters or Dean and Sam from Supernatural. So, when I read the synopsis for this book, I wanted it! It sounded like something I'd thoroughly enjoy, which I did. There was a lot going on in this story, but it never felt like too much. And I so enjoyed this team of characters.

Rating: 3.5 Stars!

Tortured Souls was told in the voice of Kassandra Ramsey, and I really liked her character! Kacie has always felt out of place, like she doesn't belong. Her supernatural abilities have caused her nothing but trouble, and it even sent her mom packing a long time ago. Kacie is still smarted by her mom's abandonment and her dad's indifference toward her. She's feeling lost and alone, and to top it off, she's being haunted in her dreams. Nightmares full of a dark shadow and gruesome horrors. They plague her, and she doesn't know what to do about them. So when she learns about the Orion Circle, it's like Kacie finally has a family who understands her and accepts her and her abilities. She grows into her own as a person, and I loved seeing that. It was great that she accepts her gift and decides to do good with it. She became this strong, sassy individual who doesn't back down from her fear. She embraces it head-on, and I loved that. With the help of the other paranormal investigators and Logan, Kacie embraces her power and finds an inner strength she didn't know she possessed.

Hers and Logan's relationship was so sweet! It was so nice that Kacie could find a guy who would not only understand her abilities but who shares them as well. He became her safety net and her comfort; the guy who made Kacie feel special and loved and who filled in the hole that her mom left in her heart.

I also adored the paranormal team of investigators! Their interactions were so much fun, even when bad things were happening. I liked how they became a family, people who formed a bond with their supernatural gifts. And they brought comedic relief in tense situations, which I loved.

The plot was pretty fast-paced and filled with some tense situations amid the paranormal and fun. I wish there'd been a bit more normal thrown in there (can't believe I'm actually saying that), because the supernatural just took over the story-line and left no room for lots of character development. And it became more about Kacie's nightmares and the manor than the characters' lives and the Orion Circle. We find out a bit about what they really are and what they do, but I'd have liked more background information.

I really enjoyed Tortured Souls, and I'm excited about the sequel. I just love ghost stories. :)

***

Excerpt!

As we walk hand in hand, I notice the sparse crowds are gone and we’re alone. We pass under another bridge, and Logan pulls me into the shadows. My back rests against the cold stone of the bridge, the damp chill seeping through my thin jacket. His arms surround me chasing away the iciness as I’m enveloped in his warmth. My arms wind around his back beneath his jacket. I press up against his chest and gaze up at him.
Even in the darkness I can see the smile light his face. He leans down to capture my lips with his. I gasp as his fingers entwine in my hair holding me captive against him. This kiss is fiery and passionate—quite different from his tender kiss earlier. My head reels from the riot of sensations coursing through my body.
With a guttural chuckle he nips at my lower lip, pulling it gently with his teeth. He kisses up my jawline, and I clutch at his back, desperately trying to keep my feet beneath me. When he reaches my ear he runs his tongue up the outer shell in a light caress before nibbling on my earlobe.
“That’s for the constant teasing at dinner, little nymph,” he purrs in my ear.
He pulls back to look down at me, his eyes darkened with passion. My head falls to his shoulder, my breath coming in shallow pants as I wait for my equilibrium to return. His arms tighten around me holding me against his body, his head resting on top of mine. When I finally feel like the world has stopped spinning, I pull away from him.
“Do nymphs exist?”
“I’m looking at one,” he says chuckling softly.
“You know what I mean,” I say, slapping at his chest.
“I have no idea.” He takes my hand and leads me over to the retaining wall. “I’ll boost you up. Ready?”
Lacing his fingers together, he holds his hands down for me to step on. When I do, he lifts me up the wall like I weigh nothing. I scramble onto the wall thankful for the hiking boots and jeans. He climbs up the wall with ease, displaying some impressive upper body strength. As he pulls me from the ground, I giggle a bit under my breath.
“What’s so funny?”
“What would you have done if I’d worn a miniskirt?” I ask, plastering an innocent look on my face.
“Had one hell of a view!” he answers, snickering as I chase him through the perilous tree-root-ridden grass.
When I jump at his back, he pulls me up giving me a piggyback ride. Throwing my head back, I let out a sound somewhere between a shriek and a laugh. I haven’t had this much fun in ages.



***

About the Author
Kimber Leigh Wheaton is a bestselling YA/NA author with a soft spot for sweet romance. She is married to her soul mate, has a teenage son, and shares her home with three dogs, four cats, and lots of dragons. No, she doesn’t live on a farm, she just loves animals. Kimber Leigh is addicted to romance, videogames, superheroes, villains, and chocolate—not necessarily in that order. (If she has to choose, she’ll take a chocolate covered superhero!) She currently lives in San Antonio, TX but has been somewhat a rolling stone in life, having resided in several different cities and states.

Author Links:
http://www.pinterest.com/Cymberle

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I've had a paranormal experience before outside of extremely vivid dreams. It would be interesting, but scary I think! Thanks for the review Holly, I found it interesting how she could relate to someone else having a paranormal experience. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It would be very interesting! And thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for participating in the tour and taking the time to read and review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3