Friday, August 1, 2014

July Recap and August Fun

I don't even know why I'm doing a recap of July, since I literally did nothing but read, blog, write, and play COD with my brother and cousin. I freaking hate summer, and I'm so over it already. I want to be back in school, so I can work and finish my last year of college. Yeah, I know. I'm weird. But I need a routine. I'm screwed if I don't have a routine, because I'm lazy and unproductive (well, other people's definition of unproductive). Because, really, I have been extremely productive this summer. It's just not what anyone else would consider productive. They think I should be working. They think I should be using my time to, I don't know, exercise and do fun things and hang out with friends. After all, I'm only young once, right? But I just don't freaking care. I hate summer. 

Aaaaanyway.

I'm SO CLOSE to finishing my first book! I really wanted to hit my goal of 70,000 words before July ended. Yeah.. that didn't happen. But I'm proud of how much I've written, and I'm absolutely in love with this story and these characters! I can't wait to see where they take my story next, and I REALLY HOPE to finish it by the time school starts! #letsdothis (Yeah, I just hashtagged on my blog post. Don't judge me).

I also got a lot of reading done!

A month in reviews!

*Deeper and Harder by Robin York
*Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch
*Kissed by Kimberly Loth
*The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
*Gypsy by Trisha Leigh
*Surrender the Sky by Meradeth Houston
*Phantom's Dance by Lesa Howard
*Where Silence Gathers by Kelsey Sutton
*Before You by Amber Hart
*Thirty Sunsets by Christine Hurley Deriso
*Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
*Break the Sky by Nina Lane

Favorite: Harder, Since You've Been Gone, and Break the Sky. All three of them were spectacular reads! I highly recommend them.

Least favorite: All of these had 3 stars or above from me, which is kind of amazing! I don't think that's happened before. But the one that disappointed me the most was Where Silence Gathers. It was just... not as good as the first book.

***

I also got a lot of blogging done!

I took the time to reexamine my blog and what I want out of it, which led to a new review policy and this decision. If you don't already know, I'm going to be changing my blog name soon! I'm so freaking excited about this name, and I have this whole design in my head. And I can't wait to change it! I asked for your help, and some of you answered. So, a million thank yous for all your advice and encouragement! I'm nervous about making this change, but I know without a shadow of a doubt, that this is what I want to do. So I'll be winding down PotW, keeping it out of my comments on other blogs, and I'm not doing any blog tours/RDLs/other stuff for October because that's when I want to change it completely. The new name, new design, everything. I have to wait until then because I've got a few commitments in September, and I feel like it would be really hectic to change it in the middle of doing blog tours. So anyway, this will no longer be Part of that World in October. Hopefully. :)

But that's not all that happened! I also participated in some really fun events and blog tours. I completed the Countdown Survey. I loooove bookish surveys, so this was a lot of fun! I also participated in the Keepin' It Real Event, and I interviewed the lovely Jennifer Mathieu. Her debut, The Truth About Alice, is freaking amazing! If you haven't read it already, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Oh, and I also interviewed Amber Hart about her debut, Before You, which came out a few days ago! Aaaand I'm doing the ARC August challenge, and I'm so excited about it!

It was a great blogging month! I spent a lot more time on Twitter, participating in weekly memes, and hopping around to other blogs. I've made some more wonderful friends through this amazing experience. You guys have kept my summer from turning into a borefest, so thank you! 

I think that's it for July!

***

August Fun!

Now, as I mentioned above, I'm participating in the ARC August challenge! I'm totally stoked about getting my never-ending pile of ARCs read and bump up that ridiculously low NG feedback to approval ratio. I haven't been requesting that many books, but I'm still not reviewing enough to counter the approvals yet. I swear I've been doing better! And I also implemented that new review policy, which helps immensely with the guilt of not reviewing them in a timely manner and DNFing if I don't like it. But I'm still trying, and I won't stop reviewing the books. I just need to put them first! And I know this challenge will help me knock down that terrifying TBR list. :)

First ARC August read: Adagio by Delancey Stewart! It wasn't on my list, but I didn't get to it in July and I need to review it for the blog tour.


But that's not all! Damn, I sound like an infomercial. I promise it's much more fun than that. Because...

#IslaIsComing!

Andi from Andi’s ABCs, Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner, Judith from Paper Riot, Lindsey from The Kid: A Book Devotee, and Meg from Cuddlebuggery put together a really cool readathon for Stephanie Perkins' contemporary series!

Credit to Meg for this awesome badge!

Haven't read the series yet? Or you have and you want to reread it before Isla gets here? Then this is the perfect readalong for you to join! I haven't read this series yet, but I've had Anna and the French Kiss for AGES. And I'm so excited to read it, Lola, and Isla! I don't have Lola yet, but hopefully will soon. I also pre-ordered Isla, for this readalong and for the goodies (signed edition, tote, buttons, STICKERS), of course. I sure hope Isla gets to me in time for this! :)

For more information, check out any of the blogs above and link up! Use the hashtag #IslaIsComing on Twitter to update and chat with other readers. And if you use the badge/banner or schedule, make sure you give credit to the blogger who made it. I hope you guys join me and the other bloggers who are participating in this readalong. It's going to be a lot of fun! I'll be tweeting all the feels, so follow me as I finally find out what everyone loves so much about this contemporary series by Stephanie Perkins! :)


Goals
*Reach 200 Bloglovin' followers
*Create my new blog design (or get a cousin to do it)
*Finish CC (my WIP)

Those are pretty much my August plans. I might be going to a Big and Rich and Gary Allan concert on August 9th with my best friend and her sisters. But other than that, I'm just going to read as much as I can before school starts and also get ready for my last year of college. I'm excited to be almost finished, but I'm also nervous about what the future will hold. So I'm going to make the most of this year! <3

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what your doing with your new design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enthusiastic about it. I can't wait to change everything! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to see your new design! And ARC August is going to be a great opportunity to bring up my NG feedback ratio!

    Amber @ The Book Cookies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I haven't made it yet! But hopefully soon. And you're doing ARC August too? So exciting! Let's bump up those NG feedback ratios! :)

      Delete
  3. I had a really great July reading month too (nothing less than 3 stars either- kind of amazing)! So excited to see what you do with the new name and design! Even though it'll be stressful, it'll be so fun to have the lovely newness of a design you love and a name you feel more connected to. Good luck on your August goals, and with college :)

    -Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised when I saw that none of the books I reviewed (on my blog, that is) got less than 3 stars. But it's awesome! It's going to be hard to change it, but I can't wait! Thank you for all your advice and encouragement. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3