Saturday, August 30, 2014

My Two Favorite K.A. Tucker Moments

I'm so excited to be participating in this blog tour/event, because I absolutely LOVE this series! I didn't start reading it until this past May, and I can't believe it took me so damn long to find out why everyone was in love with this series. Because now I'm completely and irrevocably in love with everything about the Ten Tiny Breaths novels and their characters and K.A. Tucker's beautiful writing. I've only read the first two, sadly. But as soon as I get back to the library (yay for them having her books!) I'll finish the series. And I know I'll love them just as much as the first two. And because I love them so much, I have not just one, but TWO, favorite moments from this series.

I'm warning you now; these will contain SPOILERS. So if you haven't read the books, don't read them. I don't want to ruin a reading experience that should be completely blank and open. :)
TEN TINY BREATHS

Just breathe, Kacey. Ten tiny breaths. Seize them. Feel them. Love them.

Four years ago Kacey Cleary’s life imploded when her car was hit by a drunk driver, killing her parents, boyfriend and best friend. Still haunted by memories of being trapped inside, holding her boyfriend’s lifeless hand and listening to her mother take her last breath, Kacey wants to leave her past behind. Armed with two bus tickets, twenty year old Kacey and her fifteen year old sister Livie escape Grand Rapids, Michigan to start over in Miami. Struggling to make ends meet, Kacey needs to figure out how to get by. But Kacey’s not worried. She can handle anything—anything but her mysterious neighbor in apartment 1D.

Trent Emerson has smoldering blue eyes, deep dimples, and perfectly skates that irresistible line between nice guy and bad boy. Hardened by her tragic past, Kacey is determined to keep everyone at a distance, but their mutual attraction is undeniable and Trent is determined to find a way into Kacey’s guarded heart—even if it means that an explosive secret could shatter both their worlds.

***Caution: Mature content! Not suitable for younger readers. Contains reference to drugs, swearing, and sexual content ***

Amazon | B&N iBookstore | BAM | Bookish | Other

***

Favorite Ten Tiny Breaths Moment! 

My favorite moment in Ten Tiny Breaths was when Kacey and Trent were at the club, and they hold hands. You might think that's not something huge, but it is. That is the moment when the reader can see that Kacey is finally healing. That she's choosing to move on from the pain of that tragic accident. That she's choosing to live. It is the first glimpse into the vulnerability that she tries so hard to hide. It's the moment when holding hands with Trent becomes the first step that Kacey takes in letting someone into her heart. It took her an enormous amount of courage and strength to do that. And if you've read the book, you will understand why. The accident damaged her and shattered her into a million tiny pieces until she was left not remembering who she was before it happened. But Trent broke through her barriers and helped her breathe again. It showed the gentleness in Trent and how much he cared for her. It bonded them with an emotional intimacy that scared Kacey but gave her the courage to tryThat moment was just so exquisitely beautiful that I had to take a few minutes before I could keep reading.
For the first time in four years, the thought of a hand covering mine doesn't send me into a dizzying spiral downward. And I realize that I want Trent to touch me.
"Is this okay?" -Trent 
The world moves forward, oblivious to this significant shift in my tiny universe.

ONE TINY LIE

Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fit Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.


Amazon | B&N iBookstore | BAM | Bookish | Other

***

Favorite One Tiny Lie Moment!

My favorite moment in One Tiny Lie was when Livie twisted her ankle (yeah, I know how bad that sounds) and Ashton helped her out. It was the moment when their relationship took a pivotal turn into a passionate love that consumed them. But it was also the moment that Ashton chooses to let her in, when he's spent his whole life keeping everyone outside of his heart. That scene in the bathroom was one of my favorite parts of the book. I don't even know why, but I think it just showed Ashton at his most vulnerable, and with it, Livie let herself just feel. She threw away her inhibitions and her "good girl" persona and let herself just get caught up in the moment with a guy who confuses and interests her. That kiss was probably my favorite intimate moment of theirs. It was a moment of freedom for both of themAnd when Ashton took her hand and placed it over his heart, I got chills. I got a glimpse into who he is underneath the arrogant exterior, and so did Livie. And it was a beautiful but sad moment.

Actually, I was just looking through all of my bookmarked pages and realized it's not the only favorite moment I have of Livie's and Ashton's story. But it is the one that stuck with me the most, because I felt like it was that pivotal moment in their relationship when everything changed.
"You're staring at me again, Irish." -Ashton
It has to be right if it feels like this. 
"Thank you." -Ashton. "For what?" -Livie. "For helping me forget. Even for a little while." -Ashton.

***

About K.A. Tucker:
Born in small-town Ontario, Kathleen published her first book at the age of six with the help of her elementary school librarian and a box of crayons. She is a voracious reader and the farthest thing from a genre-snob, loving everything from High Fantasy to Chick Lit. Kathleen currently resides in a quaint small town outside of Toronto with her husband, two beautiful girls, and an exhausting brood of four-legged creatures.

Links:

4 comments:

  1. I love these books soo much! I too love these two moments that you said are your favorite from the book and I think you're right, these were the ones that were the most important in their relationships.

    I saw that you were interested in the social media book tag so I thought maybe you'd like to do The Seven Deadly Sins book tag and I tagged you. Of course you don't necessary have to do it just if you're interested.
    Anyways, here's my post about it: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/08/the-seven-deadly-sin-book-tag.html

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love these books so much. Also, I love that you tagged me in it because I was actually interested in the 7 Deadly Sins tag. I hope I can do it soon. Thank you for thinking of me! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read One Tiny Lie yet but I have read the others and Five Ways to Fall is my favorite. I loved Ben and Reese! (Reece?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nereyda, READ ONE TINY LIE! It's just as amazing as the first book. And gah, I need to finish the series! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3