Monday, August 11, 2014

NERC Review #35: Tabula Rasa

*eARC kindly provided by EgmontUSA via Edelweiss*

Tabula Rasa, I don't know exactly what you are, but I liked you. You were a very fast read with a strong heroine and a twisted plot. You started out kind of weird, but I was fascinated. And that fascination never wavered throughout the story. 

Rating: 3.5 Stars!
I really liked the way the main character told the story. At times, her voice felt emotionless and kind of clinical. But it fit her character well, because Sarah has been living in this sterile environment for so long thinking there is something wrong with her. She's in this program called tabula rasa, an experiment designed to wipe out a person's memories. Give them a blank slate. But when she gets a cryptic message, her memories start coming back, and the compound becomes a war zone, Sarah is forced to face the truth behind everything the doctors were doing there and why she was put in the program. She was a strong character who didn't back down from what she had to do to save herself and the people she loves. Throughout the novel, she was forced to remember the identity that she'd forgotten.

And she had the help of computer hacker, Pierce. I really liked him! He's funny and intelligent and sweet (sometimes). He's trying to bring down the hospital for his own reasons and he's reluctant to help Sarah. But she's incredibly persuasive, and like it or not, he'll need her help. But she needs his help so she can remember all of the memories they took from her. In the tense environment, the two of them form a bond that is likely to remain for a long time. I just don't believe that they fell in love so quickly, but I didn't mind much. Their chemistry and banter was awesome, bringing comedic relief throughout the tense and dangerous situations they find themselves in.

There weren't very many secondary characters, because this was more of a survival story and you know what that means. Not everyone makes it out alive. While Sarah and Pierce navigate their way into a war zone, they meet the unlikeliest of allies. The additions of those characters were pretty much there just to help Sarah and Pierce find the truth. But I really liked the four allies they found in the basement of the hospital (trying to be cryptic so as not to spoil anything). Their stories were kind of heartbreaking.

The plot was very fast-paced and filled with tense moments and dangerous situations. However, a lot of things that happened felt very convenient. Sure the main characters had a lot of obstacles in their quest and people died. But some things just happened too conveniently. It was convenient that Pierce was there, that they had help from one of the most insane kids that were freed in the hospital raid, that there were four allies who knew exactly what to do in this kind of situation, that the soldiers who shot up the hospital were incredibly stupid. Take your pick. And it also felt convenient when plans were thwarted, just to make everything harder for them and to keep the plot going strong. The answers were kept just so out of reach that I wanted to keep reading to know everything about tabula rasa and why Sarah was there. And the answers were intriguing, especially when it all came together.

Overall, I really enjoyed Tabula Rasa! It had a strong heroine, sassy characters, and was about a dangerous experiment that takes away your identity.

4 comments:

  1. I have this to read as well but I've been waiting to read it when it gets closer to the release date. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I did too! I wasn't sure about it. I hope you like it! :)

      Delete
  2. I very much agree with your review! I am in the process of procrastinating while writing mine (in truth, I have had it half done since about May. Oops?) and I definitely agree with your points! I LOVED the four basement finds, they were such a great addition to the story! This one was a 4-star for me, so we seem to feel similarly about it. I like that it was unique and survival-y (see why my review isn't done yet- "survival-y"? Really?) though I totally agree with you on the convenience factor (hence the star deduction!) GREAT review!

    -Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were one of my favorite parts of the book! I thought it was very unique, and yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought a lot of the plot was convenient! And thank you!! :)

      Girl, now go write yours!

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3