Sunday, August 31, 2014

Review of Mary Hades by Sarah Dalton

*I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

Mary Hades was one of those books that I liked but won't think about it too much afterward. This is going to sound bad, but I've forgotten a lot about it and this review might take awhile to write because I'll have to go back and look up my bookmarked sections (which I do for these exact instances).

Rating: 3 Stars!
This book was creepy. Not as creepy as it could have been, but it still made me cringe because THE HORROR. It starts out with a bang that pulled me instantly into the story.

Mary Hades is a girl that hasn't had an easy life. Her parents are great, she has an awesome best friend. But she's not...sane. Or, at least, that's what everybody thinks. She's been committed for seeing things that aren't there. And after a tragedy that happened at the mental hospital, Mary's parents decide that she needs a vacation. Something to take her mind off the fact that she almost died and her best friend was killed. But Lacey is still around. She's still here helping Mary, and she needs that. It was a little hard to connect with Mary, probably because she's a little disconnected with the world. Her best friend is a ghost, she's awkward in social situations, and she sees the things that no one believes in. It's made her not believe in herself. But she's also just trying to figure out how to go through life like this, stumbling along the way, and realizing that she's not crazy. 

The secondary characters had some bright personalities, even the ghost of Lacey. I loved the friendship between her and Mary; they really stuck by each other when the going got tough. I liked the carnie, Seth, with Mary. Their relationship was cute and innocent and all about first love. It developed a little fast, but that's okay. It kind of fit them, because they are both experiencing a lot with each other. I liked her parents a lot, though I wish they'd been more involved.

This book was creepy, but I wasn't scared. I think it could have had some major potential in the "horror" department, but it was a little underwhelming in that regard. Though there were some freaky scenes, and that cover itself is weird. And I was so underwhelmed by the ending and the big "showdown" between this mismatched group of sleuthing amateurs and the ghost that just won't let go. And I'm not crazy about a sequel, but I do know that I wouldn't mind more of these characters. 

Mary Hades was a good book, and I liked it. I just don't remember much about it.