Thursday, August 14, 2014

Tarzan in Society: Uncivilized Review

*I received an eARC of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I have loved Sawyer Bennett's books since I read the Off series. But I haven't cared for the serial or the Last Call series. I'm not even that interested in reading Sugar on the Edge. But Uncivilized sounded different. Edgy, dark, a little bit more than just a contemporary romance. I have to say, I really enjoyed this book!

Rating: 3 Scorching Stars!

I have not read a book quite like this before, where the main character is an "uncivilized" man from the Amazon who's been living there since he was a baby. This guy is actually an American, and it's time for him to come home. But he won't leave without a fight and without making Moira work for it. And she has a hard time saying no to Zach. I loved that it was told in two POVs, because it helped to have both of the characters' thoughts and feelings.

I especially liked Zach's POV. He felt genuine to me as a character, real and angry and confused. He's been living in the Amazon for eighteen years and he doesn't understand the world he left as a child. He has to come to terms with his past, what he wants out of life, and what he's prepared to lose for that decision. But all he thinks about is sex, sex, sex. He kind of felt one-dimensional and I wish he'd explored his emotions more, especially when it came to his parents and his past. I wanted more feeling from him.

Moira Reed felt very superficial to me. Not in the way she was portrayed, but in that her character didn't have as much depth. This book was more about Zach and his journey, and I felt like Moira was left behind a little bit. It's a long time before I find out anything about her besides the fact that she's an anthropologist who specializes in indigenous people. She's interested in understanding how hard it is for people like them to acclimate in society. But she's never had a test subject quite like Zacharias Moore. He pushes her to the limits and makes her feel weak. Moira prides herself on being a strong and confident woman, yet Zach makes her want to give up control and give into him. But she doesn't stand for letting him have all the say, and she won't let herself get caught up in a relationship that doesn't have any emotions. She wants more than hot sex.

And boy, was it hot sex! *fans self* Holy hell, the sexy scenes in this book were scorching. But it honestly felt like too much sometimes. And at moments, Zach's and Moira's relationship felt very much on the surface. It didn't feel deep, and even when they had problems, it didn't evoke any strong emotions in me. 

The plot and overall concept is a bit unbelievable to me, but I quite enjoyed the different story-line. I liked the idea of an "uncivilized" and wild man trying to acclimate into a society that is completely foreign and different. It kind of reminded me of Tarzan, without all of the sex and dirty talk. But Zach didn't have as quite a difficult time as I would have thought after living in the Amazon for eighteen years. And the scenes leading up the ending were kind of ridiculous. 

Uncivilized was an enjoyable read that worked for me, to an extent. I didn't think too deeply about it nor did I find myself overly involved with the characters. But I did like it a lot and I think Sawyer Bennett pulled off this Tarzan-esque novel nicely. :)