Tuesday, September 30, 2014

(16) Top Ten Books That Were Hard For Me To Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic, as stated above, are those books that were hard to read! Whether it was because it was a difficult book, because of subject matter, or because it was downright cringe-worthy. Whatever the case, I'm sure we've all had books like that. These are the top ten books that were hard for ME to read!

1. Ten Tiny Breaths
This book impacted me in such a huge way. It was so easy for me to connect with Kacey's character and how she dealt with her grief. It was hard for me to hear about what she went through and how she coped with it, because I could relate to her so well. This is one of those books that will always hold a special place in my heart. And because of this book, I want to help PTSD victims when I'm older (oh man, it feels good admitting that after thinking it over). <3

2. Guardian
This one was very much like TTB in how hard it was for me to read, though even worse. The beginning of the book was so eerily reminiscent of what my life was like four years, and still is, that I had to put it aside immediately. I wasn't even sure I could continue, but I did, and I'm SO glad I finished it! Wonderful book.

3. Debt Inheritance
I like dark reads, and hell, I love Pepper Winter's books. I shouldn't, God, I shouldn't. This one tore me out of my comfort zone, pushed at my conscience, and told my feministic side to shut the hell up. I wanted to fight back, but it was just so damn good and I can't wait to read the sequel.

4. Harder
This book and its predecessor were so INTENSE! God, I didn't think the author could drag my heart through the ringer again after reading Deeper. But man, this one was even harder to read because I wasn't sure where two of my favorite characters ever were going to end up! I just wanted them to have a happy ending. <3

5. Between Shades of Gray
Oh God, this book broke my heart and never fully healed it. What happened to Lina, her family, and all those other people were hard to stomach at times. It just makes you wonder how anyone could stoop that low, could turn their backs on the suffering of thousands, and not feel any sort of remorse or empathy. (As a psych major, the wars are majorly interesting because I want to know why and how people could do what they did, victims and soldiers). 

6. The Truth About Alice
This book was so hard for me to read! It killed me to hear everyone tell the story of what Alice did and not being able to hear her side of it, of knowing how much it hurt to have people turn their backs on her like that. I just wanted to climb into the story, give her a big hug, and tell her that she matters and that in time the hurt would lessen. And it kills knowing that some teens go through this every day. I want to stop bullying from happening ever again!

7. Falling Into You
This book was a freaking emotional rollercoaster ride! I don't normally read books with characters who have lost boyfriends/fiances/husbands. I'm not a huge believer in there being second chances at love, so I tend to stay away from books like this. It was a hard read, and it made me cry by the bucketfuls. But the journey these two characters went through was so beautiful and full of healing.

8. Forbidden: Discover the Legend
This book was seriously the worst one I've ever read in my life. It was horribly written, the MC was petty and jealous and judgmental. It was like Mean Girls with werewolves, complete with cliques and superficial introspection and tasteless personalities. I hated it so much, and I honestly don't know how I made it through this. But I did, and it was worth it to write the snarky review afterward.


9. Hopeless
This was one of the first NAs I read, and one of the first contemporaries that I'd read in years. I don't think I was prepared for how much it would attack my emotions and leave me ugly crying over what was happening to the characters. It was so heartbreaking, yet it left me with so much hope and happiness. But man, did my heart get dragged through hell and back.

10. Girl Lost
This book was hard for me to get through, because I had absolutely know clue what was happening in it. It was confusing and messy and muddled, and it was like trying to read something without my glasses on--a headache. And I still don't understand what it was trying to accomplish, especially with that ending. (Maybe I'm just dense. Who knows?). To this day, it's one of the only two books I've never rated.

***

Which books were hard for YOU to read? As always, leave me a link! :)

17 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about about Hopeless and The Truth About Alice which are the only books that I've read from your list. They are heart breaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly heartbreaking! They sure knew how to pull at my heartstrings. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these but I really want to read Between Shades of Grey and The Truth About Alice. They sound emotionally intense but they also sound like really worthwhile reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what they are; both emotionally intense but so worth the read!! I hope you can read them soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh. Between Shades of Grey & The Truth About Alice. I forgot about those ones. Sooo good! I read Deeper & your comment about Harder only makes me want to read it more!


    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    Alexandra @ SleepsOnTables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, WHOA! Just saw you're in Michigan & go to CMU!? I go to GVSU!!! Well right now I'm in Austria for the semester but dang the internet sure makes it a small world! :D

      Delete
    2. YOU NEED TO READ HARDER!!!

      Also, yay, I love finding other Michigan bloggers!! Love it. :)

      Delete
  4. I really loved BETWEEN SHADES OF GREY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Truth About Alice is just about at the top of my TBR list and your description kind of makes me want to skip to it; partially to get it over with and partially because it sounds interesting. This is a pretty great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip to it or skip over it? Because if it's the former, you seriously need to go read it ASAP!! :)

      Delete
  6. Hopeless was so hard to read! I loved Deeper and Harder too and yes, those were also hard to read at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love Deeper and Harder so hard!! Also. Hopeless. :)

      Delete
  7. The Truth About Alice is on my list too-and I haven't even read it yet! I'm so afraid to start this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T BE AFRAID!!! I swear, it's powerful and amazing and so freaking good. It's just sad and a little heartbreaking to hear what happens to Alice. But seriously, it's so worth it! :)

      Delete
  8. I pretty much want to read all of these on your list, but I completely understand why it's hard to read these. If you have time, check out The Hate List by Jennifer Brown. It's the same kind of topic that's super dark since it's about a school shooting, but it's really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Ooh. A Val rec? Must check this out!! I love dark reads. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3