Friday, September 12, 2014

Break My Bones by Shawn McGuire Blog Tour


Break My Bones by Shawn McGuire
(The Wish Makers #2)
Publication date: September 1st 2014
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

Synopsis:

Everyone makes mistakes. Crissy’s just might kill her. 

Seventeen-year-old Crissy Sheets was so sure Brad was the one, she believed him when he swore the first bruise was an accident. She believed him when he told her he loved her after the second. Now trapped in an abusive relationship with no idea of how to get out, she’s all but given up on ever having the life she dreams of. With little to lose, Crissy wishes for a better future.

She’s told her wish has been granted, but nothing has changed. Her house is still a dump, her mother is still drinking, and Brad still wants to control her every move. Then Lance moves into the house across the yard. He’s hot, chivalrous, and wants to help Crissy break free. Will standing up for herself push Brad too far?


Purchase:


***

Excerpt!

That’s when I saw him in the tiny patch of yard in back.
He looked about my age, average height and build with chin-length curly blond hair. He wasn’t wearing a shirt, only white, pajama-style, loose-fitting pants and, odd as it sounded, he appeared to be jousting. Seriously. He had a silver stick that was as long as he was tall. He spun it over his head and the jabbed it at an invisible opponent. The guy was super cute, and totally ripped, but I wondered about his sanity. That’s the last thing we needed in the neighborhood, some Don Quixote wandering around slaying imaginary dragons.
He waved and he might have said something like, “Good morrow, fair maiden,” but was probably just “Hi.” I wasn’t really listening, too busy staring. For which I could hardly be blamed. I mean this guy was hot. I waved back and tripped over a tree root.
“You shouldn’t leave your bike out front like that,” I cautioned. “It’ll be gone by lunchtime.”
He thanked me, by placing his palms together like he was praying and giving me a little bow, and said he’d move it right away.
I continued home, staying extra alert for tree roots, and walked into the kitchen to find Vanessa standing by the kitchen window. Drooling.
“Who is he?” she asked like he was a cupcake and she was in need of a sugar fix.
I stood next to her to enjoy the show and handed her a towel. “Wipe your mouth. He’s our new neighbor, I assume. The ‘for rent’ sign is gone.”
“Dibs.”
“What? No way. You can’t call dibs.”
“I saw him first,” Vanessa said.
“I talked to him first.”
“You have a boyfriend.”
Instant guilt. She was right. I squeezed in next to her anyway. No reason I couldn’t appreciate the view. Brad’s GPS tracker wouldn’t tell him that.
Vanessa ran up the stairs and I heard the shower turn on. Ten minutes later I heard her hair dryer. Before long she came back downstairs with her long blonde hair softly framing her heart shaped face. She was wearing super-short black shorts, a dark gray tank top, and a long black knitted vest.
“Going on a date?” I asked as she slipped into her black army boots.
“Hoping to,” she said with a wink, plugging her big black sunglasses onto her face. “Is our new neighbor still outside?”
“Nope,” I said as I finished rinsing the last of the breakfast dishes. “He went in about fifteen minutes ago. Wasted effort. You look nice though.”
“Shut up.” She took off her glasses and tapped her long purple fingernails on the countertop. “I suppose I could go say hi.”
“You could bake him a pie.”
“I can’t cook,” Vanessa said, only partly paying attention to me.
“I know,” I said. “He’ll want nothing to do with you after you give him food poisoning.”
She rolled her eyes at me. “Again, shut up.”
I waggled the box of hair color at her. “Since you’re not going on a date, will you do my roots?”
Vanessa took one more look across the yard and sighed. “Sure. Let me go change though. I don’t want to ruin…hey, is that my new shirt?”
She held her hand out in a give-it-to-me motion. I hesitated. She’d see the bruise. Guess it was time to get real and face more truths. I took off the shirt, revealing the tank top I had on underneath. And the big purple/green/yellow handprint on my right arm.
“Oh my god. Crissy.” She grabbed my arm, mostly avoiding the bruise, and spun me around, checking for more. “Did Brad do this? It’s obviously a hand print, you couldn’t give yourself a bruise like that. What did you do to make him mad?”
I stood there a few seconds, my mouth hanging open. “So it’s okay for him to bruise me if I made him mad?”
“That’s not what I said.” She sighed. “Look, take some advice from your big sis. There are some really skuzzy guys out there. I see them every night at the bar. I know, Brad’s got a temper, but if you want him to stay with you, you need to be aware of the warning signs and do your best not to set him off.”
I couldn’t even guess what the look on my face might have been.

***

AUTHOR BIO
Shawn McGuire is the author of young adult, coming-of-age novels that blend contemporary settings with a touch of fantasy and magic. She started writing after seeing the first Star Wars movie (that’s episode IV) as a kid: she couldn’t wait for the next one so wrote her own episodes. Sadly, those notebooks are long lost, but her desire to write is as strong now as it was then. She grew up in the beautiful Mississippi River town of Winona, Minnesota, the small town that inspired the setting for Sticks and Stones and the upcoming Break My Bones. After graduating college she moved to the Milwaukee area of Wisconsin (Go Pack Go!) where she lived for many years. She and her family now call Colorado home and when not writing or reading, Shawn enjoys cooking and baking, crafts, interior decorating, and spending time hiking and camping in the spectacular Rocky Mountains.

Author Links:
Website: www.Shawn-McGuire.com
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/ShawnMcGuireAuthor
Twitter: @Shawn_McGuire
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/shawnmcguire1/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3231214.Shawn_McGuire

This is INTERNATIONAL!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being on the tour, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me, Giselle! :)

      Delete
  2. wow! this book sounds really interesting, plus the cover looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love that cover! I hope you get to read it soon. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3