Sunday, September 21, 2014

NERC Review #42: Forest of Whispers

*eARC kindly provided by Spencer Hill Press via NetGalley*
*SPOILERS! I think...

Going into this, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it was about witchcraft, which was honestly the main reason I requested this one. I love books about witches, simple as that. And while I really enjoyed Forest of Whispers, I was expecting something completely different.

Rating: 3 Stars!
That's not always a bad thing. I love books that take me completely by surprise. But I think I wanted more than a story that read like the Salem Witch Trials. I was expecting more, I don't know, magic?

I loved that this was told in dual POVs. I can't stress enough how much I love having both characters' thoughts and feelings. I hate it when it's one-sided. These two are from completely different worlds but they both share a deep understanding of what it's like to be unwanted and searching for love.

Rune, surrogate daughter of the "fortune-teller" who lives in the forest, has lived there her whole life. She's not a part of the village, yet she's not exactly a part of her guardian's world. She's different, a little lost, and just wants to find her place in this life. I didn't love her, but I didn't hate her. Her character just wasn't very strong, in her personality and in how she reacted to everything. She didn't question things, she went along with what was happening, and she didn't try to save herself when she needed to. And I didn't feel any emotions from her, even though there were a few scenes that should have twisted my heart and possibly brought out tears in my eyes. But the way Rune responded to them just left me feeling indifferent. That's what I felt toward her character--indifference.

I felt that way about Lorentz too, though he was a slightly more interesting character. He's the son of the Electorate, the guy who essentially oversees all of the people and villages around. He's not exactly a King, but he lives in a castle. Lorentz was a boy struggling to win his father's approval but also one who cared about his people. It's a thin line that he balances, trying to figure out what's happening and who is responsible and what to do once he finds out.

It wasn't hard to switch POVs, and I did enjoy both of them. I just didn't feel much for their characters or their romance. It was sweet but definitely underdeveloped, and I wish it'd been one that gave me all the happy feels.

I didn't know what to expect from the plot and story-line. But I just wish there'd been more magic and less witch trial. It was basically a retelling of the Salem Witch Trials, with murder and mayhem. I wanted more magic. I wanted a strong heroine who didn't back down from a fight. Instead, I just got a village that decided to blame the Hedge Witch on all their troubles and a girl who never tried to rescue herself. There were twists and secrets that came out, which tied everything together nicely. But I didn't feel like much happened, and I didn't care for the story-line. 

Don't get me wrong, this was written wonderfully and full of details. It was a fast-paced novel that I enjoyed. I just wanted something different from Forest of Whispers, something that would WOW me. But sadly, it was disappointing in that regard.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one didn't wow you! I have it on my radar, but I'm waiting until at least the second book is released. I love dual pov, too, so I wish you had connected more to the characters and the romance. :( I hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... this is not a standalone? Oy vey. I didn't know that, though it might be different characters because I *think* the ending felt resolved. And if you do read it, I hope the experience is different for you! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3