Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Raven by Stacey Rourke Blog Tour and Review


Raven by Stacey Rourke 
(The Legends Saga #2)
Publication date: May 26th 2014
Genres: New Adult, Paranormal

Synopsis:
An infamous love, destined nevermore,
For death could not claim, the enchanting Lenore.


Cursed by the malevolent spirit of the Headless Horseman, Ireland Crane ventures to Manhattan in search of a way to break her soul crushing bond. Instead, she discovers the lines between fact and fiction are blurring once more. Croaking ravens. Telltale hearts. Could the works of Poe be coming to pass with handsome Wall Street Midas Ridley Peolte as their unwilling target?

She walks the Earth, a plague on mankind, searching for he, her rotted heart doth pine.

Together, the two unknowingly release a dark force death itself could not tame. Surrounded by the unrelenting violence and mayhem they’ve unleashed, Ireland feels her control over the Horseman slipping. Before the beast within consumes her, she and her crew must follow the clues of the dead to right a centuries’ old wrong. Will it be enough to sate the Horseman’s appetite?

Hell hath no fury like a ghoul scorned.


***

My Review!

I am thoroughly enjoying this series! I love the mix of paranormal and romance, the past and present, and the twisting of famous literary works and legends. In Crane, the legend of the Horseman comes to life and wreaks havoc on the people of Sleepy Hollow. But in this book, the life of Edgar Allen Poe unravels.

Rating: 4 Nevermore Stars!

I love Edgar Allen Poe. I love that his work is so dark and dreary, so of course, I was excited about the sequel to the first book. I knew he would play a prominent role, and he did. Because everything intertwines, and the past is not what it seems.

The same cast of characters--Ireland, Noah, and Rip are in this novel but they are joined by a new one. Ridley (can't remember his last name). At first, I wasn't sure what to make of him. He's arrogant (more so than Noah), charming, charismatic, flirty, self-righteous, and stirs the Horseman's spirit in Ireland a time or two. But soon he gets swept up into the mystery that surrounds the threesome, and he becomes cursed as well. Only it's not bloodshed and evil and a spirit that he gets. He's able to see the dead and bring someone back to life. 

It's the same affliction that haunted our dear Edgar Allen Poe in the past. I loved, loved, loved his POV! I felt that it stayed true to who he was (at least, that his works suggest) and made him seem not so bleak. More a hopeless romantic who didn't know how to handle his curse. For years, he'd been all alone in his hauntings, taunted and teased mercilessly by a ghost of a person he didn't save when he was a kid. But when he meets Lenore, when he touches her, the curse vanishes and the ghosts stay silent. It is a rare gift, and he becomes enchanted with the lovely Lenore. So much so that he'd do whatever it takes to keep her by his side.

The relationships were all so well-written and had a lot of depth. I loved the sweet romance between Edgar and Lenore, the sassy friendship between Ireland and Rip, the sexy moments between her and Noah. I even loved how the newcomer Ridley was brought into the circle of friends. And there were so many hilarious one-liners and cute moments between them. I love that this doesn't just focus on one character, but all of them! They are all important to the story-line and each other, and I've grown to care for them. So much so that I was devastated by an event that happened.

Through Edgar and Ridley's curse, the story keeps unraveling to unveil a few more mysteries concerning what's happening to Ireland. She's losing control, Ridley's curse helps unleash a deadly walking disaster, and both of them feel like they're going crazy. Through it all, more puzzle pieces of the past and why they both have these curses are uncovered, making all the characters aware that there is something more going on, something none of them can imagine. It's a mystery that has left me so intrigued and desperate for book 3!

As in the first book, I loved Stacey Rourke's writing! I love that the past and present feel separate and true to their time periods. I loved the addition of Edgar Allen Poe and how everything is connected. I can't wait to find out more about these characters, their curses, and the people behind them.

***


***

AUTHOR BIO
RONE Award Winner for Best YA Paranormal Work of 2012 for Embrace, a Gryphon Series Novel
Young Adult and Teen Reader voted Author of the Year 2012
Turning Pages Magazine Winner for Best YA book of 2013 & Best Teen Book of 2013

Stacey Rourke lives in Michigan with her husband, two beautiful daughters, and two giant, dogs. She loves to travel, has an unhealthy shoe addiction  and considers herself blessed to make a career out of talking to the imaginary people that live in her head. Mark your calendars! Her latest literary adventure, Crane, will release May 26, 2014. She is currently hard at work on the continuations of this thrilling Legends Saga, as well as other literary projects.


4 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like such a compelling read! I love mysteries and the gothic feel of this one sounds awesome! I also like how great and well fleshed out the characters and relationships seem, too! Wonderful review, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giselle! I love these characters, and the mystery is very compelling. I can't wait for book 3! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait until the next book comes out! I liked the first book better because as I've said, the shifting POVs confused me pretty bad. BUT STILL. AMAZING SERIES. AND AMAZING REVIEW HOLLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val!! And I'm so glad you still enjoyed this one!! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3