Saturday, September 20, 2014

Review of Crane: An NA Paranormal

*I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

What a delightful NA full of mystery, snark, and the paranormal. I was initially interested in this book because it was a retelling of the Sleepy Hollow legend. I've read the story, though a children's version of it, and I've even watched a little bit of the show last year (which was very interesting). What can I say? I'm intrigued by this legend.

Rating: 4 Stars!
This book was told in dual POVs, but the catch? The two "main characters," so to speak, are from different time periods. Ichabod in the past, Ireland in the present. They are simultaneously telling the story in the third person narrative, and the paths they are going down are surprisingly similar and intertwine to bring the readers toward an epic conclusion that transcends time.

The writing was very wonderful. Detailed, both the past and present flowed together to create an imaginative story. Though, at times, it could get too wordy. Too heavy. Sometimes I had to reread sentences to understand what was going on.

But one of my favorite parts of this book were the characters! I loved them! I actually prefer 3rd person narratives, especially in a story such as this. It wasn't hard for me to like the characters, and it was great that all of them played such major roles in this story. But my favorite was, by far, Ireland! Sassy, tough, bright. She shined on the pages, and I loved her personality. She moved to Sleepy Hollow after catching her ex with someone else, determined to move on with her life and find the identity she lost over the duration of their relationship. Little did she know she'd get swept up into a past and legend that has never truly went away.

In the sleepy town, Ireland meets two very sweet guys who help her figure out the mystery behind what's going on. Rip, who is in fact, the very same Rip Van Winkle who was friends with Ichabod Crane and Washington Irving. He's been asleep for over a hundred years, but Ireland's sudden appearance wakes him up. And stirs up the dormant beast that likes to chop off heads. But Rip won't let her do it alone. This dude, I loved him! In both the past and present, he was one of the most lovable characters (more so in the past). He was hilarious, charming, and utterly adorable. I actually thought he would be Ireland's love interest, but that was not the case (and I'm totally okay with that).

No, her love interest was the very arrogant and sexy Noah Van Tassel. He's charming, rich, and not a huge believer in the paranormal. But he likes Ireland, and he gets swept up in the mystery surrounding her. Not just swept up, but pulled into it. The romance was not a heavy part of this story, and for that, I was grateful. I loved that it was more subtle and slow-burning. They became friends who cared for each other a great deal, and that made their relationship that much deeper. Though, I hope it develops much more in the sequel and has a little more focus.

The plot was fantastically mysterious and intriguing! I never had any inkling as to what was going on (which, in hindsight, makes me feel stupid because it was a little obvious). The plot, aside from the sometimes heavy writing, was actually pretty fast-paced. I loved how the past and present intertwined with each other and how both played an important role. And that ending was majorly interesting, and I can't wait to dive into the sequel because Edgar Allen Poe is joining this hodgepodge cast of characters.

Crane was a very well-written, engaging story that puts a new spin on the legend of the Horseman and the town of Sleepy Hollow. It was full of laugh-out-loud moments, wonderful characters, and a paranormal mystery that leaves you desperate for the sequel.