Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Recap, Spooky TBR, and Readalong

I can't fucking believe that September is already gone, that I've been in school for over a month, and that I'll be graduating in the spring. This all feels so surreal. But holy hell, it needs to slow down! I want to make my senior year count! The way I've been going, I'll be gone before I know it with nothing to show for it but a great (and hopefully Magna Cum Laude) GPA and work experience at the library. So far I've done a pretty poor job of making this year the best that it could be. AND THAT STOPS NOW! I refuse to pity myself anymore and I refuse to let this turn into another disastrous two semesters (I'm looking at you, sophomore year). So, here's to a fantastic senior year! I'm going to make this count! :)

So September was pretty much full of getting back into the rhythm of classes and trying to figure out my life (not even joking). There is so much left to do before graduation, so much to think about and worry about and wonder about. I don't have concrete plans for after getting my BS in psychology. All I know is that I wanna get the hell out of Michigan and work seriously on becoming an author. I want to save up money and maybe find an internship/volunteer. I want more psych experience before going after my Master's. And I want to figure out my career goals first and what I want out of life. Graduate school is a lot of work, but it'll be worth it. I just have to figure out where I want to go with this counseling degree. I'm hoping that a year off from school will help me know exactly who I want to be when I'm older. :)

I didn't get as much reading done as I wanted! I actually fell into a bit of a reading slump and had to take a weekend off of ARCs to recuperate. I fell into this rut that made me question myself as a blogger. And it made me so happy to know that I wasn't the only who sort of, sometimes, feels this way! Thank you for making me not feel crazy and ridiculous! I need to write more posts like this. Seriously, my discussions always get the most views and comments. So I should listen and maybe do more of them, eh? WHAT SAY YOU (totally shouted in Aragorn's voice). 

I also, um, admitted to having a TBR problem. I think those two ladies who created it just wanted to make us bookworms look crazily obsessed with reading. And hey, I'm totally okay with that. (BUT I HAVE PROBLEM AND I NEED HELP AND IT IS JUST SO RIDICULOUS HOW LARGE MY TBR IS. SOMEONE TAKE ALL OF THOSE BOOKS AWAY PLEASE).

My other posts were mostly promos, memes, and reviews! I didn't read as much, and I didn't review as much either! I have quite a few reviews that are waiting in the shadows of my drafts, but I just haven't found the space to fit them in (I'll be posting most of them this month). I think this may have been the month where I read the least amount of books all year. I'm blaming school (and that stupid reading slump) for this. Anyway, here are the ones I published on my blog in September:

A month in reviews!

*The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco
*The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
*Right Kind of Wrong by Chelsea Fine
*Crane by Stacey Rourke
*Forest of Whispers by Jennifer Murgia
*Raven by Stacey Rourke
*Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer
*Sweet Unrest by Lisa Maxwell

So yeah, not that many! My favorites were none on this list. Princess of Thorns (my review won't be published until November) and Burying Water! I also really loved Between Shades of Gray. My least favorites were Beautiful Oblivion and Queen of Someday. So disappointing, the both of them. But mostly BO (worst acronym ever). My rant and rage-filled review will be posted tomorrow hopefully!

All in all, it was a good month!

***

It's October finally! I'm so excited guys, because this is one of my favorite months of the year! Fall in Michigan is so freaking pretty. The leaves are changing colors, the weather has cooled down so I can wear jeans and hoodies. It's the perfect season for football games and bonfires, hot chocolate and boots, carving pumpkins and taking walks in the chilly air. And today was just beautiful. I love it! Seriously, the only reason I'd stay in Michigan is if it was fall all year round. (Not even kidding).

Anyway! This month I'm hoping to get out of this reading slump (it's still clouding my mood, which is no bueno) and workout everyday and get more involved at CMU. I have plans and ideas and I want to do everything! 

However, I'm going to be blogging and reviewing less. I'm going to start designing the new blog this weekend, which means that POTW won't exist anymore (and I know you are all sad about that). You might think I'm crazy for doing this after two years of blogging, and you might even be sick of hearing about this (I swear, I can talk about something else. I just want to keep reminding people so it won't be a total shock when it happens). I just, I don't know. I want a change, I want a blog name that feels like me. (I have a confession to make. I hate purple). And I'm super excited to start working on said secret design. It'll kind of be like this rebirth, and it's perfect that it'll be happening on my blogoversary (which is in November!) because that's when all of this started. Speaking of blogoversary, I have so many cool post ideas and am planning a couple giveaways. I'm going all out, and since the blog name is gonna change, I might as well make it freaking special.

So, anyway, I'm hoping to get all of my posts that I want published this month scheduled beforehand, and then I'm just going to take a bit of a blogging break. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading! Because I'm just a little tired of ARCs and reviewing, I'm going to read "me" books. I have so many sitting on my desk and collecting imaginary dust on my kindle shelf that I want to read but keep putting off because of all review copies. It's fine and all, and I need to keep bumping up my NG ratio. But, at some point, it all becomes too much and I get tired and I stop enjoying the books I'm reading. So, to help me get out of this reading slump, I've created a Halloween-inspired list that I hope to finish before the month ends!

My Spooky Reading List:
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: I think I might be the most excited about this one! It looks so good! I don't think I've read a book quite like this, so I'm stoked and that cover is so creepy.
  • Amity: this is straight-up perfect for October. I mean, it's actually a horror book! I don't read many of them, but it fits right in with the theme. I want gore and blood and psychos...is that too much to ask?
  • Creed: I *think* I remember Shannon saying something about how creepy this was and Goodreads says it's a thriller, so I put it on here! Also it needs to be reviewed in November.
  • Between the Spark and the Burn: I really enjoyed the first book, and I can't wait to finish this series!
  • Grim: Classic fairytales with dark and sinister twists? Sounds so good!
  • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer: Because how have I not read this yet?
This is a really pathetic list, so does anyone have recommendations for books that would make perfect Halloween reads?

Three of these are actually from NG and Edelweiss, but since they are perfect for October and Halloween and all things scary, I'm making an exception. I really want to read all of these, and I hope to complete this list. But I'm definitely, for sure, reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer! It's actually so perfect that there's a readalong for the series!

Stacee from Adventures of a Book Junkie, Rachel from Beauty and the Bookshelf, Danielle from Love At First Page, and Katie from Polished Page-Turner created a #MarasRetribution readalong! There will be twitter parties, discussions, giveaways, and a whole lot of fun! I'm so excited to be participating. I had already planned on reading the first Mara Dyer book this month (because of the Halloween theme of creepy and mysterious and scary), so it was really perfect that I heard about this. I can't wait to start this series and flail along with everyone! :)

***

I also signed up for the Bookish Bingo: Holiday Edition hosted by Great Imaginations! You have October to December to cover as many squares as you can. I'm so looking forward to this, and I already have a few  planned for this month. :)


So, yeah, those are my October plans! But, you know, nothing is concrete. I just want to enjoy this month at school, try to get myself ready for graduation, redesign my blog, and read a ton of books that I've been neglecting because of ARCs. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Creed was SO creepy. Perfect for Halloween (that is actually when I plan to post my review!)

    YAY for new blog design! I think you'll be really happy with it, maybe it'll even help you get out of your rut (pretty and new can do wonders for a rut!).

    Don't worry about not having all your life stuff figured out. I don't have anything figured out. I spent most of my college years swimming, changing majors, and scheduling all my classes on Tuesday and Thursdays, because who doesn't love long weekends? I ended up with a degree in Sports Management, which is utterly useless. Then I lifeguarded and coached swimming for a few years, then I worked with kids with autism for a few years. Then I decided to go to grad school, for funsies. Well, that was a waste of money because spoiler: I don't WANT a job. So then I had babies. Listen, my point is, it's okay if you don't have it all together by May. So far, you are doing WAY better than me ;)

    As for the year off, I think it is a great idea. My husband has his undergrad in Psych and English, and his MA in Mental Health Counseling. He took about 2 years off in between, and it made the masters' courses SO much easier for him- his experience was worth like, ten years of classroom learning. So yeah- my tangent just means that I think you are on the right track! Even with his two years off and everything, he has had his masters for over three years and he JUST turned 30.

    Anyway, we will be here cheering you on for sure :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight
    Um. I totally link out of habit. Like you don't know who I am or something. I must stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. I can't wait to read it!!

      AND AW, YOU'RE SO SWEET. <3 <3 Thank you for all your encouragement and support from the beginning with the blog change and again with your wonderful comment. Thinking about the future stresses me to no end, and I hate planning so far ahead. I also think a year or two off would be so much better than heading straight into a graduate program. In most fields, experience is key. But it is especially that way in the mental health field, so I want to get some hands-on experience and figure out what type of environment I want to work in. And *hopefully* I can get a Master's done in a few years! I don't want to be in school forever. (It feels like I have been).

      Haha, I totally don't need the link anymore. ;)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3