Saturday, October 11, 2014

NERC Review #49: Stitching Snow

*eARC kindly provided by Disney-Hyperion via NetGalley*

When I heard that it was a retelling of Snow White, I knew I had to have it. I love anything to do with the fairytales, so when I was approved for this, I was ecstatic! I couldn't wait to dive in. And this book was just so much fun! 

Rating: 4 Stars!
I don't read many sci-fi books, but like I said above, this was a fairytale retelling, so I had to read it. Even though there were so many technical and mechanical terms being thrown around (which I have no clue if they were real or not), it didn't take away any enjoyment in the story. I didn't understand half of them, but I could get the gist of what was going on.

Essie is basically Ms. Fix-it on planet Thandan. She's made things easier for the people who work in the mines, but she's still not one of them. She fights them in her spare time to make money, but they don't like putting up with her. If not for her friend and the guy who took her in, she would not have made it this long. But Essie is a fighter! She's strong, resilient, and works hard. She's a little bit naive, though that's understandable given how she grew up, and she also could be reckless. But her character was so awesomely developed. I loved her strength, her resilience, and how she didn't wait around for a guy to save her. She's made a life for herself on Thandan, and she's got secrets. She's got a past that she wants to escape. Essie doesn't have time for romance, and she certainly doesn't have time for a nosy "treasure hunter" who makes promises of a better future.

Oh, Dane. What can I say about this handsome, sweet, and protective guy? He was the perfect match for Essie--headstrong, stubborn, and determined. He was so wonderfully developed as a character. There were moments I wasn't sure I could trust him; there were moments that he truly shocked me. But his background and his reasoning made me understand why he did what he did. And Essie understood it, too. He was sometimes protective to the point of overbearing, but all he wanted was for Essie to be safe. 

I loved their romance. Loved. It was a relationship built on a foundation of mistrust, but it developed into a wonderfully sweet and slow-burning romance that was very deep and swoon-worthy. I loved their awesome banter and chemistry. And I adored that ending. 

The secondary characters were all fleshed out well; some were there for help, others were there to hinder the MC from what she needed to do. And oftentimes, you didn't know one from the other. I adored the drones! (I didn't even get the whole number thing until a reviewer on Goodreads pointed it out--they're the seven "dwarves" from the original tale). They each had their own personalities, and there were so many comical moments involving them that gave the story a lightness to counteract the danger.

The plot was predictable, but I didn't mind that at all! It was very straightfoward, with a few twists thrown in that you might not see coming. It was a very fast-paced novel, and the science fiction aspects, the planets and their universe, were well developed. The plot didn't stay in one place and took our characters everywhere. It was filled with details and suspense and kickass characters who didn't hesitate to do what needed to be done.

I loved the writing and how Essie's voice drew me into the story from the beginning. There was a momentum that never slowed down, even when the plot did. I loved the subtle comparisons to Snow White, and I enjoyed the sci-fi aspects of the story. Stitching Snow was a wonderful standalone, though I wouldn't mind if the author wanted to expand on this story-line. :)

RATING:

8 comments:

  1. Fairy tale based books make me so nervous. I don't know why, I haven't read one. But this sounds pretty good! I am also a little worried about the mechanical stuff though, but since you said it is easy to work around, I think it'd be okay. Especially with the character development- that is SO key for me. I am definitely going to give this one a chance! Great review :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't read any fairytale retellings? Oh my gosh, I could give you a huge list of recommendations, if you want. :) Yeah, the mechanical stuff was easy to work through (though I still don't know many of them), and it had great character development. You should, and thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hahah this one sounds good! It reminds me of the Lunar Chronicles! But I have yet to read a Snow White retelling, so I might pick this up if I see it!

    There's been so many fairy retellings lately! Muhahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has quite a few similarities to The Lunar Chronicles! Some reviewers have not been happy about this. But I think it could stand on its own very well. And yes, you should pick it up!

      AND I AM TOTALLY OKAY WITH THIS! :)

      Delete
  3. I so want to read this one!! I LOVE retellings. Like Cinder and Scarlet and Cress? They're so my favourite books ever, so yes yes *nods* I need to try this one and there's something about that gorgeous cover that just ropes me in. I'm glad the secondary characters are epic too! I hate it when they get overlooked, you know? So this just makes me super excited. ;))
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very Lunar Chronicles-esque, so if you love those books, you'll probably like this one (though I know some reviewers don't like the similarities). And isn't that cover so pretty? Also, agreed. Most of the time, secondary characters just get left behind, and I hate that!

      When you get the chance to read this one, I truly hope you'll like it! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed this one! It's gotten lots of mixed reviews, but I thought it was really entertaining and cute and funny and swoony. Loved all the characters, and the droids were adorable. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It HAS had very mixed reviews! I think a lot of that has to do with the similarities to The Lunar Chronicles. But I thought this was so cute and such a fun read! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3