Friday, October 17, 2014

NERC Review #50: Blue Lily, Lily Blue

*eARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you so much, Scholastic!*
*Spoilers from the first two books, so if you haven't read them yet, I'd skim this. But it's spoiler-free for BLLB.

I think I should have done a reread of the first two books before starting this, but I just couldn't wait. I have zero patience, and as soon as I downloaded Blue Lily, Lily Blue I had to read it. I did wait a few days, but that was mostly due to the fact that I wanted to focus my attention solely on this book and nothing else, so I had to finish a few reads first. Anyway, I wish I would have done a binge-read of the first two and this one. Not that it took any enjoyment out of the story, but I think it would have made the experience deeper because it'd been so long since I read The Dream Thieves I had to use Recaptains before starting this book.

Rating: 5 Stars!
I don't know what to say about this series except GO READ IT OR ELSE! Maggie Stiefvater's writing is superb. These characters and their relationships are so wonderfully developed. Blue and Gansey are perfect. <3 Ronan is the most lovable asshole around. Adam is humble and has a brilliant mind. The women at 300 Fox Way have deep bonds and are hilariously in each other's business all the time. And the road to Glendower is filled with complications, revelations, and secrets that will leave your heart in knots by the end. This is so twisted and mysterious and I have absolutely no idea where it's going but I want so badly to find out. But not a year from now. More like right now. Seriously.

There wasn't anything I disliked about this book, and what I loved the most was the character development. These characters are all so wonderfully multifaceted, their relationships with each other so beautifully complex. In the first book, it was very much about Blue and Gansey, as well as introducing the rest of the colorful cast of characters. In the sequel, Ronan took center stage, and we got to understand more about him and why he continually chooses to be a jerk when we know there is charm and sweetness underneath the exterior. But in this one, Adam shined. I may have been biased starting at the beginning, after knowing that Blue was practically destined to be with Gansey (sorry Adam), and after falling hard for Gansey. So, I never really connected with Adam as much. He was always that guy who tried so hard to be more because he never felt good enough. And he's still struggling to move on from his past and that feeling of failure and shame that comes with it. But he's slowly getting over that and realizing that he's more than a backwoods hick; his character development was so good in this book!

I ship these characters and their relationships so hard. The soul-aching longing and banter between Gansey and Blue. The subtle development of more than platonic feelings between Ronan and Adam. But more than that, I ship the five of them together; Gansey, Blue, Adam, Ronan, and Noah. They are a well-oiled machine, a unit. They joke around with each other, tease mercilessly, but when one of them needs help, they show up and offer support, ready to fight battles and lend a shoulder to cry on. This quote sums it up the five of them amazingly:
But what she didn't realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another. She was no less obsessed with them than they were of her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another. Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn't all-encompassing, that wasn't blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she'd had this kind, she didn't want the other.
Isn't that just gorgeous and beautiful and oh my god, I love these characters so much. <3 I also adored the ladies of 300 Fox Way and was surprisingly sad when something happened to one of them. I'm also a fan of the Gray Man, the hitman who ended up becoming part of the story-line and this colorful cast of characters.

And the plot! This crazy, twisted, puzzling, and downright confusing mess of a story-line. Questions are answered in this book, but even more emerge and we're left wondering what the hell is actually going on. I honestly don't know how Maggie Stiefvater is going to wrap all of this up in only one book (*gasps* Saying that just sent me into a panic. No, no. I need more than one more book with these characters. I don't want to ever stop reading about my Raven boys and Blue). Anyway, the only thing I could consider a dislike after finishing this is that I'm still so freaking confused. I feel like I need to read these books a few more times before I can put all the pieces together and be ready for the finale. There is so much going, so many underlying hints, yet I haven't put all the puzzle pieces together yet. But I know she's going to wrap it up nicely, yet I'm just so worried. I'm terrified of what's going to happen to Noah, I'm petrified that Gansey is going to die, and that he'll never share a real kiss with Blue. And, just, what in the world is going on in this story?

That ending killed me, and I have to know what happens next, though I'm scared to read book four. But I want it like right now. I don't know how I'm going to wait a year to read it. I'm not even sure I'll be ready for it when next October shows up. I don't know what's going to happen, but I know this: it's going to shove all the feels down my throat, have me on the edge of my seat, and break my heart. 

Blue Lily, Lily Blue was another amazing installment in The Raven Cycle series, and all I wanted when I finished was more. More of this crazy story-line. More of the women at 300 Fox Way and the Gray Man. But most importantly, I just wanted more of Blue and my her Raven boys. <3
♥♥

Rating:
5 Paw Prints!

10 comments:

  1. I only skimmed because of the aforementioned spoilers (and the fact that I haven't started this series!) but I am so, SO glad you liked it!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO START THIS SERIES SHANNON!!! Also, I more than liked it. I loved it! :)

      Delete
  2. Awww, I'm so excited! I need to read this ASAP but at the same time I want to wait until the last book comes out because I hate cliffhangers! I love love love every character in this series and I love to read about their relationships with each other. I always have this warm feeling when I read about them.
    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronika, I can't wait for you to read this and I hope you love it!! But yes, total cliffhanger that just absolutely killed me. And these characters give me all the warm and happy feels. <3 Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you loved this one! I know you've been dying to read it. :P Seriously, I WILL read the series this year. I'm nervous but excited. I can't wait to meet all these characters! Lovely review, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad everyone knows how obsessed I am with the series. Haha. AND GIRL YOU BETTER READ THIS SERIES SOON! I'm holding you to your word. :P

      Delete
  4. I'm so tempted to read this review but I haven't read the previous books yet. Sorry, you probably get this a lot :S I'll definitely be back once I've started the series though!

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm pretty sure my review is spoiler-free for the whole series, so you would have been good on reading it. Haha. I hope you start it soon and that you'll like it! :)

      Delete
  5. I also really enjoyed this novel, although I missed Kavinsky a ton. I can't wait to see what Maggie does with the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't miss Kavinsky, aside from the entertainment value that he was. And I can't wait either! I want to know how she's gonna end it all. Saying that just makes me sad, though, because I don't want this series to end. At all.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3