Monday, November 3, 2014

Dead Girl Walking Review


Title: Dead Girl Walking
Author: Ruth Silver
Release Date: April 25th, 2014
Publisher: Patchwork Press
From Goodreads...


Princess Ophelia Dacre sneaks out of the castle to visit her boyfriend in secret. A perfect night cut short when she’s brutally murdered.

Ophelia is given the rare chance to become a grim reaper. She must become Leila Bele, cut ties with her old life, and follow the rules of the reapers. Her greatest adventure begins with death.

Rating: 1 Paw Print


*I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love story-lines that involve grim reapers. They fascinate me to no end; these creature that harvest the souls of the dead. So, when I read the synopsis and saw that pretty cover, I definitely wanted it. But I hated this book, and it makes me sad because I was so looking forward to reading Dead Girl Walking.

There have only been a few characters that I loathe after all the books I've read, and one of them is Ophelia Dacre. I don't think I've ever read a character who was more selfish, self-centered, naive, and more annoying than Ophelia Dacre. There was absolutely no character development with her, and I honestly did not care one iota about her. This was written in 3rd person, thank God. I don't think I could have stood to listen to Ophelia's whiny, unintelligent, unemotional, and sour voice. I just could not stand her attitude about anything. There were times when something happened and this girl had the worst response ever. 

Examples: Her grumbling about the cold instead of worrying about her sister being in trouble. Her not even bothering to ask how Wynter's doing after he ruined his life for her, or properly thanking him, or even showing him that she cared about him. Her asking too much from Wynter and expecting him to just do what she wants, without even bothering to think about the price such favors could cost him.

She never gave a thought to her actions and the consequences that followed them. I also didn't feel any emotions from her, even when there were moments when she should have been on her knees and crying because her heart was broken. She was just a weak character.

And the secondary characters were placemats, all set up to make Ophelia look good. They had no backgrounds, no personalities, and no value whatsoever in the story. Their "relationships" with Ophelia were all superficial and had no true depths. This book was about Ophelia and her life, which I wouldn't have minded so much if I had actually liked the MC and the secondary characters were still strong elements in the story. I think my favorite was Violetta, just because she didn't take shit from anyone and she wasn't the biggest fan of the MC. They were supposed to be a group of friends, these reapers, but all of them were only there to further the plot along and to get Ophelia to that ending. Nothing more, which was so sad considering most of them have been around for a long time and they could have had amazing backstories. 

There really wasn't even a plot in this story. It felt more like a bunch of random scenes thrown together. Some were supposed to suspenseful, and yet, I felt no sense of danger for the characters. Some were supposed to be emotional, and yet, I felt nothing in this story. And since I didn't care for Ophelia, nothing bothered me about this book. And I just don't totally understand the creatures in this book. The world building was nonexistent. And speaking of world, this had the feel of a fantasy but it was so very modern. The setting, dialogue, and details didn't mesh together at all.

The writing style was very sophomoric. The characters' conversations felt disjointed and awkward, and the story-line didn't flow well. I was very bored throughout the book, and the only reason I finished was because it was such a quick read. Sadly, Dead Girl Walking was extremely disappointing.
RATING
1 Paw Print!

4 comments:

  1. Blech. This sounds kind of dreadful. I hate when there is just no redeeming quality to a MC. There's really no point in bothering for me if I hate the MC. Flaws are cool, but just awful? Nope. But hey, at least the cover is pretty ;) Though, if we hate the girl on the cover, (as I assume she is Ophelia?) then maybe it's not great after all. I was thinking about reading this one, and then I didn't, and now I am glad! Great, honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you dodged a bullet, because honestly, this was terrible! And yeah, as long as a MC has at least one redeeming quality, then I can forgive them for a lot of shit. But Ophelia was one of the worst main characters I've ever read about.

      Delete
  2. It's such a shame to know you really disliked this book :/ Reading the synopsis, it sounded like one that had so much potential. I was considering reading this one for review, but I will definitely miss out on it now! I am not a fan of annoying main characters as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just SO disappointing and such a waste of potential.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3