Saturday, November 22, 2014

NERC Review #52: Perfect Chaos

Title: Perfect Chaos
Author: Nashoda Rose
Publisher: Nashoda Rose
Release Date: November 24th, 2014!
*eARC kindly provided by the author via NetGalley*

From Goodreads...
Georgie

I lie to survive. 

Have since I was sixteen and my world fell into chaos. But I found a way to endure, or rather it found me. Now I’m a prisoner of my own doing, hiding behind a false mask so no one sees the truth. Not even the man I want but can’t have—Deck. But I messed up and the lies are spilling over, out of control. 

Deck is unrelenting and will settle for nothing less than the truth. He demands everything from me—EVERYTHING—even if it rips me apart.

DECK

I kill for a living.
Unyielding—It’s how I survive in my line of work. I bend people to my will…except Georgie.
But that ends now.
I've played her game for far too long. Now I think it's time we play mine.

My Review!
There is just something so addictive about this series (this spin-off and the original) and these characters. The writing is pretty simple and the dialogue easy to follow. The characters all have messed-up lives and dirty secrets. Yet, I can't stop reading about them. And I was so excited about this one because I'd adored the hilarious and complex relationship between Deck and Georgie. Let me tell you, it didn't disappoint!

I was kind of nervous about starting this because it's a spin-off series. I'm not a huge fan of them, and I never become that invested in them. But I am so invested in these story-lines and all of these characters' lives, even if I don't like them very much (hello, Sculpt). However, in Perfect Chaos, the focus is all on Georgie and Deck, which I didn't mind. I would have liked more of the secondary characters in the previous series, but I understood why they weren't in this story.


I have always loved the brash and wild Georgie. She's fun, flirty, and all-around great friend and someone who loves to have a good time. But underneath all of that, she's hiding so much of herself away from everyone. Underneath all of the smiles is a girl who has lost herself and doesn't know how to find who she is again. She's been through a lot in her life, and yet she hasn't lost her strength and fight. I was so not expecting her story and why she's the way she is. But I understood it. I understood why she wanted the pain and why she wanted to forget. I think it showed such strength in her character, such vulnerability. It showed so much depth in her, and I loved her 
character development in the book.

Alpha males like Deck usually turn me off, in real life and in books. He's controlling, abrasive, and emotionally distant. But there is just something about this strong, silent, and deadly guy that makes me not even care about his brashness and hardness. But in his line of work, he needs to be that kind of person, the one who shuts down and focuses on what he's doing, the one who creates this concrete barrier to do his job. He was a tough cookie to crack, and only Georgie could break down his barriers and make him feel. He's always been in love with her, but he made a promise to her brother that he intended to keep. He just underestimated the power Georgie had over him and the way she made him want to be a better guy.


Deck could easily be the type of guy that comes across as too controlling. And he kind of is, but I think Georgie was the perfect match for him. I think they were kind of a perfect fit for each other. They're both stubborn as hell, strong characters, and fighters. Their story was passionate, intense, and full of revelations that leaves them both reexamining their relationship and each other. But through it all, they come out as strong as ever. Together, they're better.


The secondary characters from the first series, Tear Asunder, were not involved in this story. They were all on tour with the band. But there were still more characters in this one, a few that are important to the story and the main characters and one that leaves the readers unsure and confused and wondering who the hell he is. Deck has a team of guys who are not as intense as him. They like to joke around, but they're good in a crisis. And then there's Kai. Mysterious, deadly, and one guy that I just want to know more about. I can't wait for his story!


But man, this plot is CRAZY! This story-line is ridiculously messy and complicated and full of revelations that just make everything much more intense. It's all building on each other, and every book continues what's happened in the predecessors. I'm excited to see where all of this goes, and I think I'm ready for more secrets and mysteries. 


Perfect Chaos was a great start to the spin-off series. I loved the two main characters, and their story did not disappoint. And I just can't wait to keep going with these books and see what else this author has in store for us. :)


RATING:
4 Paw Prints!