Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 End of Year Survey

Survey and image made and created by the lovely Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner. :)

2014 READING STATS

Number Of Books You Read: 202!!!

Number of Re-Reads: 3 (the Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts)

Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy or contemporary? Not sure how to figure it out, but it's definitely one of them. Probably contemporary, though.


BEST IN BOOKS

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Published in 2014: The Kiss of Deception
Overall: Ten Tiny Breaths
Honorable Mention: Bully
Like how I totally cheated with this?

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer: I really enjoyed this one but it was very confusing, and I totally thought I'd swoon over Noah but I didn't.
Sacrifice: Sometimes series enders disappoint you, especially when you've loved all the previous books.
The Fault In Our Stars: I just think this is so overrated.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Of Scars and Stardust by Andrea Hannah. Basically everything about this book was surprising.
Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, and I also never saw much of what happened coming.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
The Raven Cycle series. I know I'm not the only one who pushed this series hardcore, so I doubt it was because of me. But quite a few people started it and some continued it. And I'd like to think I had a hand in that. ;)

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Series Started: The Kiss of Deception (Shatter Me, for a complete one)
Sequel: Blue Lily, Lily Blue and World After
Series Ender: Dreams of Gods and Monsters

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
K.A. Tucker (full list, TTT). I'm almost caught up on her backlist and am anxiously awaiting her new book, Becoming Rain.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Between Shades of Gray. It's not out of my comfort zone, but it's from a genre I don't typically read: historical fiction. I loved it, though; very gritty, very realistic.

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Young Elites: Even though I read this in December, and it's very likely it's on here only because it's so fresh in my mind, I seriously couldn't put this book down. It has been a long time since a book has had me as entranced as this one.
Creed: Even though I was a little disappointed with where the story went, I could not put this book down. It was quick, quite creepy, and took me a little over 2 hours to read.

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Kiss of Deception. Because after that twist, I need to go back through and figure out how I missed it and also go through it with open eyes and knowing who is who. I also didn't savor it the first time around, and I missed a lot of subtle hints of the world-building.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Kacey Cleary, from Ten Tiny Breaths: One of the characters I've been able to relate to from the very beginning of a story.
Grimalkin, from the Iron Fey series. I fucking love this cat.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. It was just so... beautiful.
Blue Lily, Lily Blue because Maggie Stiefvater's writing is always lovely.
Edit: Princess of Thorns because Stacey Jay's writing is so gorgeous and lyrical and gah, I love it!

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014? 
Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker. I don't know if you guys know this, but I want to be a counselor. And I didn't know the specifics, except that I wanted to work with teens. But this book made me decide to work with victims of PTSD. So, yes, it was a life-changing book for me. <3

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 
Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door. Someone please explain to me how I could possibly have waited this long to read these books. It boggles my mind.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
From Blue Lily, Lily Blue:
But what she didn't realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another. She was no less obsessed with them than they were of her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another. Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn't all-encompassing, that wasn't blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she'd had this kind, she didn't want the other.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Um, I don't know how to figure this out? I've read lots of novellas, and also pages aren't always exact on Goodreads.
Longest: Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor. 613 pages!

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Mortal Heart. Was it just me who totally didn't see any of that coming? I was all WHAAAAAA.
The Kiss of Deception. That twist with the whole not knowing who the two male leads are shocked me completely. I was so wrong and had to take a little break to get over it and reorient myself.
Of Scars and Stardust. This whole book was shocking and twisty and I'm still confused!

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Gansey and BlueMint leaves, misdialed numbers, and almost kisses. ASDFJKL; MY FEELS.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Aria and Roar, from the Under the Never Sky series. I've always loved their platonic relationship full of feels.
Emily and Sloane, from Since You've Been Gone. I want a friendship like this.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Best Kind of Broken by Chelsea Fine. I'm a huge fan of hers and am so mad that I've read all of her books and have nothing left. 

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Honestly, I didn't get pressured to read a certain book. But there was one that everybody kept saying was amazing and capslocking their love for the main character on Twitter. That was Finnikin of the Rock, which I read and loved.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014? 
Cricket Bell, from Lola and the Boy Next Door. Because he is my soulmate (and not Nobody's).

23. Best 2014 debut you read? 
The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu. Very honest, very powerful book that I think all teens (and everybody else) should read.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Young Elites. The setting was SO vivid and dark and gritty and I could see everything happening perfectly in my mind. It was a whole new world of possibilities and danger.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? 
Lola and the Boy Next Door. I mean, seriously, I don't think I ever stopped smiling while reading this book.
Attachments. This one was so much fun, and I was constantly laughing.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Bully, Ten Tiny Breaths, Code Name Verity. I ugly cried in all three books.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Crane by Stacey Rourke. An NA that's not a romance!
Legendary by L.H. Nicole. It had King Arthur, his knights, and a kickass heroine. What more could you want?
The Deep End of the Sea by Heather Lyons. One of the best books I've read that retold the tales of gods and goddesses.
Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton. Emotions personified. So unique!
I know I cheated, but I'm okay with it on this one. I wanted to give all of these books a well deserved shout-out. :)

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Code Name Verity. "Kiss me, Hardy!" *SOBS*

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Uncovering Cobbogoth by Hannah L. Clark. This had one of the most unique story-lines I've ever read. Very intriguing.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire. I feel cheated by this fucking book and would have thrown it against the wall if I hadn't borrowed it from the library.

I tried to mix it up and showcase as many books as I could that fit the questions. I didn't want to just reuse the same ones over and over again (even if they totally deserved it). And I know I cheated a lot, but I'm totally okay with this because of the above reason: I wanted to showcase as many books as possible that I think everyone should read! :)


YOUR BLOGGING/BOOKISH LIFE

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
Whaaa, how can you expect to choose just one from all the bloggers I've discovered this year?! So I will pick two: Val (The Innocent Smiley) and Shannon (It Starts At Midnight). I can't believe I didn't know these two before the summer, because I feel like I've been talking to them forever. I love their blogs, I love their comments/Tweets, and I love them. And I can't wait to meet them at BEA in May! <3

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Positive: Ten Tiny Breaths and One Tiny Lie. It was hard to put into words how much TTB meant to me, but I think I did a wonderful job. :)
Negative (snark, in other words): Beautiful Oblivion. This fucking book.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? 
Best discussion: YA and You. I asked a bunch of authors and bloggers what YA meant to them, and I got some thoughtful comments as well. :)
Favorite: 25 Days of Book Boyfriends. Creating a post all about Gansey was one of the most fun and creative ones I did this year.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I went to an author signing this past June and got to meet author Bethany Neal! I still haven't read My Last Kiss yet, but it's a priority for 2015.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
It was definitely changing my blog name! I can't believe it took me this long, because I'm so in love with the name and design. And The Fox's Hideaway is so personal to me. :)

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Most pageviews of a non-giveaway post: My blog tour stop and review of Uncovering Cobbogoth.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 
YA and Me. It was the first really personal post I published on the blog, and I also talked a lot about YA, teens, and why I think many of the stuff in books should not censored just because of a reader's age.

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? 
BookOutlet because they have freaking awesome deals! 
Brilliant Books in Traverse City, the first indie bookstore I found in Michigan that I really like. Too bad I don't live close to it!
Gillian's (Writer of Wrongs) shop on Society6. I seriously love everything and I want it all. Please and thank you.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 
I completed my Goodreads challenge of 175! I also did 3 other challenges, but I only completed one of them, sadly. But I was really proud that I accomplished my goal of reading and reviewing 50 books for the NetGalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge (and will be participating again this year).


LOOKING AHEAD

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I'm cheating, because there are so many. The Sea of Tranquility, The Art of Lainey, Throne of Glass, and My Life Next Door.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
The Heart of Betrayal
In other words...

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
An Ember in the Ashes

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015? 
The Raven Cycle #4. 
But why oh why does it have to be ending?! *sobs*

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Sure I have goals and such, but all I really want to do is make more friends in this amazing experience. <3

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios! It was just absolutely wonderful. Y'all will want this book. Trust me.

Overall, I had a great year in books AND blogging! Here's to 2015! And if you did this survey, I want your links! Plskthanksbye. :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on how many books you read in 2014. Have you read Stephanie Perkins short story in My True Love Gave to Me? Super cute. Cheers to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that yet, and I'm a little wary because it's an anthology. But I want to give it a shot soon, and I want that pretty UK cover. :)

      Delete
  2. YES YOU DEFINITELY pushed me to read The Dream Thieves. I'm reading Blue Lily Lily Blue next because of you. But honestly I'm glad you did because I'm in love with the series and characters and gah. I need to read Between Shades of Gray. I am in love with WWII stories. (speaking of that. THE BOOK THIEF. READ IT NOW). HAHHAHHAHAH GRIMALKIN. Gah I should've put an animal as my most memorable character because THAT'S ALL I REMEMBER.

    DUDE I HAVE CRANE AS MY HIDDEN GEM TOO. We think alike (well. yeah. maybe.) And I so badly want to read The Deep End of The Sea.

    NO NON NO NONONONONON CODE NAME VERITY GAH THAT BOOK WAHhhhhhh, I seriously might reread it though because of the feels.

    WOW YOU MENTIONED ME FIRST BEFORE SHANNON I FEEL SO HONORED (just kidding Shannon I'm sure it didn't matter *cough*. no but I really can't wait to meet both of you at NYC because IT IS HAPPENING it will.

    I've only read The Art of Lainey, but looking at your tastes and stuff I think you will most definitely LOVE IT. It's so nice and fluff fluff. ALSO I SO BADLY WANT TO READ AN EMBER IN THE ASHES. I may just have to buy it when it comes out, which is something I usually NEVER DO.

    YAY TO 2015 YAY TO A NEW YEAR YAY TO READING 175 BOOKS YAY TO GIVING VAL CAKE YAY TO JUST BOOOOOOKS AND SEQUELS THAT WON'T BE RELEASED UNTIL NEVER.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR HOLLY! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I AM SO GLAD YOU LISTENED TO ME. NOW YOU CAN WAIT FOR THE FINAL BOOK WITH ME.

      I want more war novels! Especially ones set in the Civil War and WWII. :)

      I don't know if I could handle a reread of CNV. I think it'd be too much on my heart.

      THAT WAS AN UNCONSCIOUS DECISION OKAY VAL AND NOTHING TO FEEL SO SPECIAL ABOUT. :P And it is happening; our hotel room is booked. Just a few more steps to go!

      I think I'll love Lainey and really wanted to get to that before break ended. But ah, too bad. Another time.

      AN EMBER IN THE ASHES IS ALL THAT I WANT THIS YEAR.

      Wait. WHY AM I GIVING YOU CAKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME CAKE.

      Happy New Year Valerie! <3

      Delete
  3. YESSSS to I'll Meet You There. ALL the yesses. Also, HUGE WIN on the 100 gifs. I am in love. And even though I haven't read The Raven Cycle books yet, I did BUY one, so that is something. I promise, very soon.

    And thank you! I cannot wait until May either :) SO EXCITING. Ohh and I need to read My Last Kiss too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 I knew you'd love them!! OMG READ IT NOW SHANNON WTF ARE YOU WAITING FOR. YOU BETTER HAVE READ THE RAVEN BOYS BEFORE BEA.

      adsdfkjl; is it May yet?!?!?!?!?!

      Delete
  4. I knew I'd see lots of Blue Lily, Lily Blue. :) So happy I finally caught up on that series! The wait for the last book is gonna be agonizing!
    I also chose I'll Meet You There for 2015 book - such an amazing and triumphant book.

    Loved read this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it wasn't surprising at all, was it? :P Gah, I'm desperate and dying for the final book. But I'm also scared of it; how will it end?!

      Yes, you found the perfect word - triumphant. I think everyone needs to read this book and that more should be written about young soldiers dealing with PTSD.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3