Tuesday, December 16, 2014

(22) My Top Ten Favorite Books of 2014!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Books I Read In 2014! 

This is obviously going to be the most difficult top ten list I've ever done, probably even more so than last year's. I read SO MANY books, and quite a few of them received 5 stars! I'm very careful about giving those ones out, because I want them to keep their value. They are the books that have gone above and beyond, the ones that I love and cherish, the ones that have impacted my heart and gave me all the feels. I only gave out 16 five stars this year, and so I had to narrow it down AGAIN. And it was hard! But these 10 books are definitely my favorites from this year!


1. Bully by Penelope Douglas
I'm sure this won't surprise anyone, with the amount of time I spend talking about this book. It gave me one of the worst book hangovers. I remember most everything, but that could also be because I just read Until You, which was the same story told through Jared's POV. I absolutely loved it, but it just wasn't the same experience I had while reading Bully. But I adore this series and can't wait to read Madoc's book.

2. Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker
Again, I doubt this is surprising. I can't believe it took me so long to read this book. This one will always hold a special place in my heart. The love I have for these characters and their relationships with one another knows no bounds. And this book helped me decide where I want to go with my career. It's that special to me.

3. The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
This was probably my favorite fantasy I read this year, excluding the two series enders below. I loved the writing, the characters, the romance, the plot. I loved that I was completely wrong with who was who, which shocked me since I'm usually really great at uncovering the twists in books. I really want to reread this one soon, at least before The Heart of Betrayal comes out. Speaking of, I need that sequel something fierce.

4. Best Kind of Broken by Chelsea Fine
This woman is just SO GOOD at writing romances! Tristan and Scarlet from The Archers of Avalon series are one of my favorite couples still. And there was something about these two characters, Levi and Pixie, and their relationship that made me just believe that love can heal all wounds. It was so wonderfully written and the chemistry and banter filled the pages, which made everything about them seem more real.

5. Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
This was definitely my favorite series ender of the year! Oh my gosh, how I adore this series and these characters so much. I just want more and more and more of them. Especially more Karou and Akiva. I can never get enough of their romance. And I also wouldn't mind more of the secondary characters. Ziri, Liraz, Zuzana and Mik.

6. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
In a well-ordered universe, Frank Porter would be real and mine. :) I loved this guy, this story, the main character, Emily, and her relationship with Frank. I adored their romance, and I also loved Emily's relationship with her best friend. It's one of my favorite friendships in books. And I would absolutely LOVE a book about Sloane! 

7. Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
CRICKET BELL IS MY SOULMATE. <3 I just thought I needed to get that out of the way first. This book was also just the most amount of fun I've had while reading in a long time. It just made me so happy. All I wanted to do was savor it. I finished it way too quickly and am feeling the need for a reread. I need more Cricket Bell in my life!

8. Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
Another favorite series ender! I've adored all three books, and I was so sad that it ended. I loved Perry and Aria and Roar and everything about this world that Rossi created. I should have savored this ending more when I read it back in January, because even though it was filled with happiness, it was too soon to leave it. I'm even thinking a reread is in order one of these days.

9. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I don't read historical fiction often, unless it's laced in fantasy or something otherworldly. But after finishing this book, I want to start reading more war stories. Especially those set in WWII. Not only does this book contain a strong heroine who would do anything for the people she loves, but it packs an emotional punch that will leave you in tears by the end.

10. Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
I mean, c'mon, is anyone really surprised about this one? If you don't already know how much I freaking love this series, then I don't know where you've been since I talk about this story and these characters all the time. Especially Gansey, and Blue, and Gansey and Blue together. But the relationships between all of the characters have to be one of my most favorite parts. THE FEELS. <3

***

It's not totally surprising to me that this is a mix of contemporary and fantasy. Aside from Code Name Verity, all of them can be put into either of those two categories. Hmm, I wonder what that tells me? Lol! The two genres are my favorite, and probably 90% of the books I read can fit into either of them. I'm definitely going to be branching out in 2015, because there are just so many other books and genres to read. And as much as I love these books, I absolutely need more diversity!

So, what are YOUR top ten reads of 2014?! I gotta know! So as always, drop me a link so I can hop on over to your blog. :)

20 comments:

  1. First of all, no. Cricket Bell is my soul mate and I will not share him with you! =)

    I agree, Dreams Of Gods and Monsters was one of the best series enders of the year. And yes, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, just the bomb(especially because Adam and Ronan! I ship them so hard!)! I think I really need to read Bully, I've seen you talk about it endlessly and it just sounds like something I need in my life. =)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CRICKET BELL IS MINE OKAY.

      I ship Pynch so very much, but Gansey and Blue are my OTP! Well, at least in this series. ;) And omg, yes, pretty please read Bully! It's so friggin' AMAZING. <3

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned in your post. I'll have to check them out! Here is a link to my TTT list for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do check them out!! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Code Name Verity was freakin' flawless. Such a great book. I read it while I was in Germany in the summer and it pretty much killed me. Since You've Been Gone is also great, and I want to reread it next year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! LOVED that book!! And you reading it while in Germany must have been one heck of an experience. :) I don't know if I'd reread SYBG, but I adored it!

      Delete
  4. You've read some amazing books this year. I really enjoyed Since You've Been Gone. Such an addictive read! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? SO addictive and just plain awesome! :)

      Delete
  5. You HAVE to read Rival, one of my top favorites this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of the books you have listed. Glad you enjoyed them. Feel free to check out my list, I have a lot of different books listed than all the other blogs. Only Cruel Beauty I've seen listed multiple times. Thanks for sharing! Here's my Best Books of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, well, you SHOULD!! :P Ooh, I'll have to check yours out then. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. CODE NAME VERITYYY. That book is so good! Have you read ROSE UNDER FIRE? I'm planning to binge it with BLACK DOVE, WHITE RAVEN next year, which may be a horrible idea. I read the first two books in the Under the Never Sky trilogy this year and didn't love them, but I still want to read INTO THE STILL BLUE and the novellas. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, no I haven't, but it's sitting on my desk! I just don't know if I'm ready for it, considering how heartbroken I was after CNV. I swear Elizabeth Wein is out to destroy my heart. Also, that's probably a terrible idea to binge the two. That'll be two tear-jerkers (I'm just assuming they both will be) in a row! And aw, I'm sorry you didn't like them! But I'm so glad you've decided to continue and finish the trilogy. :)

      Delete
  8. Um, I need to read pretty much all of these. Yeah, I have failed. The only one I've read is Into the Still Blue, which I did enjoy (because come on, Roar!) but wasn't *quite* as epic as I'd hoped. The rest I sadly still need to read. I really want to read The Kiss of Deception, and I have Since You've Been Gone ON my bookshelf, glaring at me in disgust that I haven't read it. Great list!! ( And yes, I knew #10 would be on there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU HAVE FAILED AT LIFE, SHANNON.

      Yeah, I read it back in January so I'm not sure how I'd feel if I read it again now. But I did love it enough to put it on my top ten list. And oh, Roar, my heart. <3

      Also, read SYBG NOW. Pretty please? (I didn't think #10 would be surprising at all). :)

      Delete
  9. DEFINITELY wanted to read more WWII stories after Code Name Verity, WAIT HAVE YOU READ THE BOOK THIEF HOLLY? If not, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

    Also, still have to read Ten Tiny Breaths. Kiss of Deception, BLLB, Anna and the French Kiss and of course the Lola one. BUT I HAVE READ DREAMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS. and yes that was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...NO, I AM SORRY VAL. I WANT TO READ IT SO BADLY THOUGH!!

      And basically, you need to just stop everything you are doing and catch up on all of these, okay?

      Delete
    2. But, but I don't even own it!

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3