Sunday, December 21, 2014

I'm Over You, Series Trend

*sings the lyrics*

But in all honesty and seriousness, I'm so damn tired of series! I can't keep up with all of them. I can't even finish the ones whose books are all out in stores. I mean, sure it's nice being able to follow the same characters through many novels and become immersed in the same world for years. But the waits are ridiculous. I know, I know. It's the publication process. There are drafts and revisions and ARCs and final prints. Most authors don't even have the next book in the series completely written before the one that precedes it comes out. That's pretty much what that whole year is for, so the authors can give us the very best story they can.

But I'm not a patient person. And when I hear about another series, I cringe inside because I know there'll be long waits and it could be more than just a trilogy! Think about it. If it's a 6 books series, for instance, that probably means it'll take SIX YEARS to end! Who wants to wait that long for the books? No one! Again, I know that it's how the publication process works. But that's a lot to invest in!

And I find myself not wanting to invest in series right now. I continually start them, have to either wait to buy or borrow the sequel or wait until it releases, and then the process just keeps repeating. Until I'm in the middle of so many series, trilogies, and duologies that I don't even remember 90% of what happens in them. That becomes a problem when I finally get my hands on the sequels and I end up having to make the awful decision of whether or not to reread the predecessors or just dive in half-blind. Because I don't have the time to just continually reread books in a series that's probably not even finished, not with all of the ARCs I have to read and all of the amazing standalones out there right now. Standalones are so appealing to me because I can read the book and it's done after I hit The End or Epilogue. I don't need to wait around for a sequel that I might not even be that interested in.

Sure, there are some standalones that I wouldn't mind if they were made into a series. There are some books where I love the characters so much that I just want to keep reading about them. But that doesn't happen very often. Most of the time, I'm quite happy with how they end and I feel that the story is whole as it is and doesn't need anything more added to it. It's over. The End.

Do you want to know how many series enders I read this year? SIX (that doesn't include the series that follow separate characters and only loosely connect. Those I consider standalones in the same story-line). Do you remember how many came out? A LOT! Do you want to take a guess at how many series I'm in the middle of at the moment? I don't either, because I know it's going to be a high number. In the last couple of years, I've read more series starters than I can even count, less sequels than I wanted to, and very few enders. And do you know how many of them that I remember pretty clearly and wouldn't need to do a reread before I kept going? Maybe like one or two.

There are quite a few that I want to read but find myself continually pushing them back down my TBR list. Throne of Glass, The Winner's Curse, Falling Kingdoms, Exquisite Captive, Talon. And I think it's mostly because the series aren't finished yet. I don't want to become invested, start the series, and then give up on it. Sure, there are some that I've become so invested in that I don't mind the waits, the ones whose characters I adore and just want to keep reading about forever. The ones that are the exception to how I feel about series. The Raven Cycle, The Remnant Chronicles, The Lunar Chronicles. But there is a reason that list is so much shorter. I just don't become invested in that many series.

But the biggest reason why I'm over the waits for series is because all I want to do is binge them! I love binge-reading a series! I get to be immersed in the world for days or weeks, I remember every single thing that happens because I read the books one after another, and I think it's a much deeper experience because of all of that. Sure, in a few days or weeks, depending how long it takes to finish the series, it's gonna be over. I'll probably have a horrible book hangover, too. But I'd so rather do that than wait for months or a year for the sequels. And binge-reading is what I want to start doing for all the series from now on. Unless, of course, not all the books are out yet. In which case, I don't know what I'll do since I want to read the books but have no patience to wait years for all of them to be published. 

I've been thinking about this the past few months and how I'm just tired of series. I keep looking at how many are on my kindle shelf and desk, and I just want to cry. I don't want to become invested in a story only to find out it's part of a 6 book series. Unless the series is friggin' amazing and everything I never knew I wanted, then I'm not going to continue it for a long time. Maybe not even after the final book gets published. And I start so many, forget about them, and by the time I finally pick it back up, I don't remember anything about them. I'm just tired of series, and I find myself more eager to wait until all the books are out so I can binge them. 

Your turn!
Is it just me or are you guys sick of series too? Are you a patient person who doesn't mind the waits or do you prefer reading the books one after another?

12 comments:

  1. Well.. I love series. BUT, I know I am in the minority. Most people are probably nodding their heads in agreement with you. I just like to know that my characters and worlds are coming back again. I like them. I don't like change, and I don't like leaving my characters behind. Maybe I have a problem ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I do love following my favorite characters over many books. But the waits kill me, and the amount of series that are out there (unfinished, finished, not yet written) is intimidating. I also just want to binge them one after another. I'm just a little tired of them right at the moment. But, don't get me wrong, when I love a series, I don't mind there being a bunch of books. I would just rather have them all at the same time, ya know? :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on this! NOT EVERYTHING needs to be a series - so I'm really tired of it seeming to be a requirement. I don't know which bugs me more, the trilogy with forced cliffhanger at the end of book 1 and 2, or the neverending series with a location/cast of characters that we're supposed to care about from book to book. I would like some more commitment free reading, please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just too many to keep track of!! And oh, those cliffhangers are horrible. And yeah, if a series starts to go over 3 books, I barely stick with it. Too much commitment and so little time for all the books I want to read more than starting ANOTHER series.

      Delete
  3. I DON'T KNOW. I think the worst part is reading a series starter and then FORGETTING EVERYTHING by the time the next book comes out. I would have to reread the whole series because I just don't remember the first book. This was a problem for me for Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Also, I would love to binge read series, but I don't have the time for that, so maybe it's better that they're all spaced out? This makes me feel better about myself with keeping up with books.

    BUT YEAH nice discussion HOLLY <3 Let's just both drown in unread series :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS MY PROBLEM. I forget so much about the previous books if I don't read them within a short time period. And I don't really have the time to binge-read series, but oh well. This is what I love to do. It's going to be happening quite frequently from now on. :P

      BUT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAVE ME FROM DROWNING IN THE MURKY DEPTHS OF UNREAD SERIES. NOT GO DOWN WITH ME.

      Delete
  4. What happened to good old trilogies??? Except for Richelle Mead, I'm sick of 6 (or more) series books too. (exceptions)
    I hate contemporary series even more. How many times can a couple fight and break up and make up? Let a series die in piece authors/publishers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hear of a series that isn't a trilogy, I cringe and wonder if I'll be able to commit to it. Sometimes, it's just too much, ya know? And oh, I hate contemporary series with my entire being. That means the author will have to keep inventing problems and drama for them, so they can grow or whatever. I'd just rather it be finished in one book. Rarely have I read a contemporary that I'd want to continue with the same couple in more books.

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, don't even LOOK at Game of Thrones. So far it contains six books with two books currently being written or something. The book series started in the 90S! It's insane.

    This is why I don't read a lot of series, I mean look at Pretty Little Liars, look at Throne of Glass, they're massive series.

    I like trilogies, even though I can't think of the last one i read....well, the last "series" I really read was (don't laugh) Twilight. At least the last one that I finished.

    I don't like series, I feel like I HAVE to finish them if I start them. It seems mostly fantasy novels are in a series, GoT, HP, The Raven Boys, ToG, etc etc. I just don't know. I am definitely over the series trend though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know about GoT! but honestly, I don't have much desire to read it. AND HOW IS HE NOT FINISHED WITH IT YET.

      I do like trilogies, but even those get tiring after awhile. And yes, I feel like I HAVE to finish them, even if I didn't like the first book that much. But gah, there is too many to keep up with!

      Delete
  6. I love series. They are just so my thing. I don't like letting go of things and series is just a way of prolonging my time with a story, with an author, with the characters. I read so many series that I'm constantly trying to keep up with all of them so it keeps me busy in between releases. Haha great post though, I understand your frustration!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love following the same characters and staying in the same world for a long time. I would just rather have all of the books at the same time. Haha. But they are so much fun, especially if you really love the series. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3