Sunday, December 7, 2014

It's Time to Party!

So, something super cool happened. Cait from (originally) The Notebook Sisters changed her blog name and switched over to WordPress! It's now called Paper Fury, and it looks pretty awesome! And so to celebrate all of the newness and excitement, she created a party game/tag so that others could join in and share their blogging stories with everyone. Basically, Cait's celebrating US, which makes her super awesome in my book. And you guys know how much answering questions about myself and the blog!


1. Why did you start blogging?
Honestly? I don't remember. I don't know what made me start a blog or why I decided to keep it. I do remember that I wanted a creative outlet for my writing, because I was struggling with my stories. But one day in November 2012, I created Northern Girl and that was that. I didn't post much for the first like 6 months. And it didn't become a book blog until May of 2013 (when I realized that posting about books was more fun than writing about college and my life).

2. What’s the story behind your blog’s name?
Ha. Well, if you've been following me for awhile or since November, you'd know that I literally just changed my blog name last month. Before, it was originally Part of that World. And if you're curious why it changed, I'll just point you over here to this post. :)

3. How many designs have you been through since you started blogging? (Pictures! We demand pictures!)
Um, okay, so I don't have any pictures of my last look. I'M SORRY. I didn't even think about using screenshots. However, here was the background:
The rest of it was in different shades of purple. 
I had a few others before this one, but I mostly just played around and could never stick to the same design. I was never happy with it. UNTIL NOW. :P

4. Have you ever switched blog platforms? What made you move? If you haven’t ever changed…why?
I have not switched blog platforms! I've heard such great things about WordPress, but change makes me nervoussss. I've actually gone behind the scenes before, thanks to the trust Shannon has with me, while we were working on our first joint feature post. And I LOVED it. I kind of want to switch, but I just made one huuuuge blog change. And so I really want to wait a bit and do my research before jumping into WP.

5. How long does it take you to write a post? What’s your postly process like?
Erm, well, I have no process. I don't have a schedule or a plan at ANY time. And WHEN I post, it's never at the same time. It could be the middle of the afternoon or in the early hours of the morning. It depends on when I finish writing one. Haha. And as for how long it takes to write one, it also depends. Some take less than an hour and others take days. It just depends on the topic or if I'm in the mood to write one up.

6. Have you ever been super nervous about a post? Why?! What was it?
I don't really get nervous posting, especially not with reviews (unless I know the author and feel bad for a lower rating or something). The only posts that give me anxiety are the ones that are personal or discussions (which are never about "controversial" topics anyway). The one discussion post that made me nervous was when I talked about how buddy reads weren't fun anymore. I was afraid I would offend or piss someone off if they were one of the people that I was talking about. And the one in Q #2 where I wrote about the name change was the most personal I'd gotten, and it honestly scared me to post it. But I should never have been nervous about it because this community is so supportive and encouraging. <3

7. Do you have a blogging schedule?
NOPE. I do hope to have ARC reviews done by release dates, and other than the occasional meme (TTT), my blog just goes with the flow. It's very open and casual, and I never know when or WHAT I'm posting. And I loooove that. However, it does get bad sometimes when I have no energy to write up posts and so my blog goes days without anything new. 

8. Do you tell people In-Real-Life about your blog? Their reactions?
I do not talk about my blog. Not that I'm ashamed of it or that I think it's stupid. I just don't want to see people's reactions. Most of my family would be like: You spend your time doing that?! Like not in a curious way, but in a not-nice way. I'm probably not giving them enough credit, but I just don't think my family (or friends) would totally understand this passion of mine. And honestly, I want to keep this separate from my personal life. Blogging is my safe space, my escape from reality. I don't want to compromise that by letting my real life seep in and taint it. Does that make any sense?

I did tell my mom a little bit about it, and she never gets surprised anymore when a package comes in the mail for me. Haha. And I also told my friend A about this. I tell her everything and she thought it was so cool and wonderful. But yeah, other than that, I keep quiet about the blog.

9. Top ten blogs you read/comment on the most! Go! Go!
ONLY TEN? HOW DARE YOU, CAIT. *SNIFFS* FINE.

Here they are and in no particular order! :)
**I forgot Amber--Young Adult Indulgences
**I also love Cait's blog.

I love many other blogs, but these are just the ones I try to comment on regularly. :)

10. If you could change/improve things about your blog, what would they be?
I kind of wish I'd been blogging with the name, The Fox's Hideaway, since the beginning. I love it so much, and I can't believe it took me 2 years to do this. And I do wish I would have tried harder in the beginning to socialize and put myself out there, but I'm shy and hey, it all worked out. I've made great friends, and here's to many more Twitter conversations and back-and-forth comments! :) One thing I wish to improve on, though, is my (lack of) organization. I want to be that person who loves schedules and color-coding and is always three months ahead. That would be really nice.

Thank you, Cait, for creating such an awesome game tag! I wish you many more years of happiness with Paper Fury. :)

7 comments:

  1. THIS WAS SO AWESOME! ^-^ I really love finding out the behind-the-scenes on everyone's blogs! It's super cool. :)) I do remember you changing your name and design and so glad you're super happy with it. It's awesome being super comfortable with how designs work out, right?! I actually was quite anxious about Paper Fury's new design, but i'm happy with it now. ;-) I think I was just having "omg am I making a bad decision moving/changing everything?!!" freak out moment. 0.0
    Thanks for helping me spread the word!! YOU ARE SO NICE. *throws cake at you*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO awesome!! Dude, I totally had that moment a few times, but I'm so glad I changed my name. And I'm glad you're happy with yours too! And aw, you're sweet. Thank YOU for creating this awesome party game. :) *hopes it's red velvet cake*

      Delete
  2. YOU ARE SO CUTE HOLLY. I think I say that in every comment oh well oopsy. First off, LOOK AT YOU MENTIONING ME <3. Second, NORTHERRRRNNNN GIRLLLLLLL. Third, shhhh don't worry about offending anyone I'll handle them for you. Just kidding. I get nervous about offending people too, because maybe I'm being too weird? Also, I NEVER TELL MY FRIENDS ANYTHING, just because its too annoying to explain you know? I get a ton of book packages (packages in general) and I really hope they aren't judging me.

    I don't think I will be switching from Blogger for a while. It is really stressful. And you have to pay for a lot of things like no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, YOU ARE CUTE! :P Val, you act so surprised every time I mention you. I feel like you should know how much I adore you and your blog by now. You smiley innocent, you. <3 You really need to stop your obsession with Northern Girl. It's never, ever going to happen again. Also, I would handle anyone who went after you, because no, that would not be cool.

      It IS annoying to explain, and I just feel like people would judge me for it, like it's not a worthy pastime. And gah, WP wants money and Blogger is freeeee. But I dislike Blogger and want WP. Oh, the troubles when you have no MONEY.

      Delete
  3. AWW thanks for mentioning me! I don't know how I missed this post either! Oops.

    I think it is so interesting that most people seem to not tell their friends and families, though I 100% know what you mean about the unsupportive thing. That is exactly what my dad said- that I was "wasting my time". So I feel you. It's best to do whatever makes YOU happiest. I feel like I have to tell people, just because I need to explain why I look like I haven't slept in 4 years and am always talking about books ;)

    I have no money either, but I do have debt. So I mean, there's always debt to pay for WP? (I am obviously kidding, please be more fiscally responsible than me, okay?) But, if you DO ever want to do it and such, it isn't much money at all. Like, less than $50 a year. The thing that made it worth it to me was the TIME. It is so easy to have post templates, and easier designs, and all that stuff. You know, it is no wonder we are all so broke! Book blogging earns exactly zero dollars, and we spend all the (limited amounts of) money we do have on books!

    And I love that we have the same blogging schedule, which is winging it ;) Love this post!!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I keep putting my signature on your blog like you don't know who I am? Sorry, force of habit I guess. I just realized I did that, and it seems weird ;)

      Delete
    2. OF COURSE I MENTIONED YOU. WHY DOES IT ALWAYS SURPRISE YOU AND VAL WHEN YOU'RE INCLUDED IN MY FAVORITES BLOG LIST?

      As always, your comment is wonderful. :) I felt like I had to tell my mom to explain why I'm always receiving packages in the mail and sending them out. Haha. Gahhh, I want WordPress but MONEY. Also, amen on the whole bloggers being broke thing. We do so much for no pay. I'M NOT COMPLAINING THOUGH. I really do love being a book blogger, and everything is so, so worth it. Even spending money when I don't exactly have it. And dude, winging it is how I get through everything in life. Just kidding. Sort of. :P

      SHANNON, GEEZ, STOP PUTTING YOUR SIGNATURE ON MY BLOG.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3