Friday, December 26, 2014

NERC Review #56: Awaking

Title: Awaking (The Naturals, #1)
Author: Madeline Freeman
Publisher: Madeline Freeman
Release Date: September 21st, 2013
*Review copy kindly provided by Madeline Freeman via NetGalley*

From Goodreads...
Morgan Abbey's life is about to change. Just weeks before the beginning of her senior year, a mysterious stranger approaches Morgan with information that turns her world on end: First, the psychic ability she believes she has just been pretending to have since middle school might actually be real. Second, her mother, who disappeared abruptly and completely almost a decade ago, might still be alive. Morgan finds herself drawn into a centuries-old struggle involving a shadowy group with incredible powers. The Veneret have quietly coexisted alongside the common people of the world for centuries. Now they believe it is time for them to reclaim their former positions of power-and that Morgan is the key to their victory. Every victory comes at a price-but is it one that Morgan will be willing to pay?


My Review!
I'm going to admit this, but I totally read this book just because it had an orange cover. I probably would have kept putting it off if I hadn't read it for this challenge. But I'm so glad I did read it! Although I was a little annoyed with the romance and the lack of answers, Awaking had a unique concept that I found intriguing.

It also had a pretty sassy main character, Morgan Abbey. I really liked her in the beginning especially, because she didn't conform to the standards and she told fortunes to her classmates for money. However, she lost that boldness throughout the novel, that sassiness. She didn't question anything, she didn't press for answers. I thought she'd be more skeptical, more questioning. I didn't think she'd take everything at face value. There were times she was incredibly dense too. Morgan was also kind of portrayed as a bit of a Mary Sue. The one who's special, who is above all of the nonsense of high school. The one who can do no wrong and who is always morally right. The one that all the guys want.


Speaking of guys, the romance in this book left a lot to be desired. We meet so many characters, especially guys. There were at least two love interests (one who is creepy and misogynistic and ihatehimsomuch) one who was supposedly a friend but apparently not after that ending. I don't know where they all came from, or why they were all needed. There is a prophecy that explains two of them having a presence, which could contribute to romantic feelings. But none of them felt that believable, because Morgan's relationships with all of them were not that developed. I was left wanting there to be a clear love interest, and a focus on that relationship. Not all of this back and forth, confusing feelings in the main character. I don't think I would have minded it so much, if I had felt genuine chemistry between any of them and Morgan.


The concept, which didn't have as much focus throughout the book as I would have liked, was intriguing and different. It just didn't have that much development. Sure, we find out in the beginning what's going on and what Morgan is. But after that, the main character acted like it was all normal. There was no questioning, even when the people were not forthcoming with information and were being deliberately evasive. The plot lost me a little bit in the middle but then it picked back up once truths come to light and Morgan realizes that the people who told her that she was one of them might not be the ones who should be trusted.


Awaking was not the strongest beginning, but I'm curious about the sequel and what's going to happen to the characters next.



RATING:
3 Paw Prints!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, interesting. I'm sorry to see that not all of your questions were answered, OH WELL THAT HAPPENS SADLY. And yuck orange covers. Personally I hate the color orange in general, UNLESS IT'S PASSIONATE ORANGE (don't tell me what this looks like, LOL or blood orange).

    oranges.


    Anyways, at least it was a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of answers happens way too often in books, but in series, it's expected. However, I wanted more answers in this one and less evasiveness.

      And I'm not a fan of the color orange either. Lol, what's passionate and blood orange?

      Delete
    2. HOLLY HAVEN'T YOU EVER SEEN THAT BLOOD ORANGE GIF. I was referencing that.

      Delete
  2. I am with Val, orange is probably my least favorite! But yeah, this book didn't sound like a huge win, sadly. But at least it held your interest enough to want the sequel. And the psychic thing does sound kind of cool. Sorry it wasn't stronger for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, orange is so hated.

      Yeah, it wasn't really a win and I'm not crazy about wanting the sequel, but it did hold my interest and I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3