Saturday, December 13, 2014

Play of Light Blog Tour and Review


Title: Play of Light 
Author: Debra Doxer
Publication Date: December 8th 2014
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance

Synopsis:
I lived in paradise, and I loved Spencer Pierce.

At fourteen, my life was perfect. The beach was my playground, and the boy who stole my heart lived just around the corner. But perfect never lasts. In one horrifying moment, I lost it all. My family was destroyed, and the boy I believed in turned his back on me. Paradise became a nightmare.

That was five years ago. Everything changed when we moved from our home by the sea. I’ve changed, and I don’t like who I’ve become. I miss the smiling, carefree beach girl who disappeared that terrible night. I want to find her again. I want to face the people we ran from so long ago. Most of all, I have to face Spencer. So I can prove that when he broke my heart, he didn’t break me.

But when I see him again, Spencer Pierce is no longer the boy from my memories. He’s now a man who could devastate me if I let him. He watches me when he thinks I’m not looking. There’s regret written on his face when he’s near. Each time I see him, my heart aches for what might have been, and I think his does too. How can I convince myself I’m over him when I suspect he never got over me?

~ This is a standalone story. ~

Purchase:
My Review!

Okay, so I'm gonna be honest here, I totally judged this book by its cover. I mean, how could I not? That is seriously a gorgeous cover! And I'm so glad to say that the book lived up to the prettiness and beauty.

I had an immediate connection with the main character, Sarah. Her life and her thoughts were eerily similar to my own. Her voice made it easy to read the story, though she sounded a bit younger than her age suggested sometimes. She was only fourteen when a tragedy tore her away from the only life she'd ever known and changed her in ways she didn't even fully understand. She was so young to have gone through what she did and to become the "parent" of the household. I found her to be very relatable and genuine. And I could totally understand her grieving process. I also loved her strength, which showed through some tough decisions she made in the book. There were moments when Sarah annoyed me, but ultimately, she had great character development. 

I'm a little iffy on the romance aspect. Not that I didn't love it, but the way the past and present were written kind of turned me off from it a little. Spencer and Sarah were friends when they were teens. Friends who shared very private and personal thoughts and feelings. However, I can't help but feel that Spencer took advantage of Sarah a little bit. Played with her emotions and led her on. I know he had a really bad home life, and there were moments he couldn't pull himself out of the darkness. Sarah was his light in that time of his life, but instead of feeling all happy and mushy about it, I thought he used her. Not intentionally, but she was only a preteen, two years younger (which doesn't seem that huge, but it felt like it), and had a huge crush on him. And I think he used that against her.

However, I loved the development of their relationship in the present. It felt so real and genuine that they both still carried torches for each other. They had something special, even if I wasn't a total fan of it. I think they were good for each other, Spencer and Sarah. He helped heal the damage of her past, and she was the light at the end of a dark tunnel for him. Together, they were stronger. But they had issues to work through, and the past was a constant presence. As much as they were both trying to move on, they had to learn that letting someone in can make life a little brighter.

I loved the secondary characters, but mostly Riley and Colby. I loved Riley's protectiveness and Colby's humor. I would adore a book about them or even a novella! They were so cute together. But I wish the other characters had been a bit more developed, especially Sarah's "Uncle" Russ. I was also hoping that her sister and mother would be more prominent figures in the story, but they weren't.

At first, I wasn't happy with the way the before and after chapters were written. But then, as I read the relationship developing between Sarah and Spencer, I was okay with it because I think it helped give their romance depth. I still think the tragedy and past would have had more impact had it been spread throughout the novel, or at least not one chapter after another. Jumping from the present to the past in one huge chunk left me feeling disoriented and all I wanted to do was go back to the after portion. The placing of it just felt off. But after that, I could see how having it all out in the open in the beginning helped develop Spencer's and Sarah's romance. And oh my gosh, I adored that ending so much. Just adored

Play of Light was a New Adult book about overcoming your grief and moving onto living your life without the past holding you back. It was about having faith in yourself and who you are as a person and not being defined by the events in your life.

RATING:
3.5 Paw Prints!

***

AUTHOR BIO

Debra Doxer was born in Boston, and other than a few lost years in the California sunshine, she has always resided in the Boston area. She writes fiction, technical software documents, illegible scribbles on sticky notes, and texts that get mangled by AutoCorrect. She writes for a living, and she writes for fun. When her daughter asks when she’ll run out of words, her response always is, “When I run out of time.”

Connect with Debra. She loves hearing from readers.

Author Links:


4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds awesome. I love books about characters who previously knew each other but then everything got ruined. I read from your review that they have personal issues but I'm glad they have something to work on together, meaning there past relationship.
    Wonderful review and the cover is super-gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good, so I definitely recommend it! It's a sweet NA that's light on the angst and also light on the steam factor. And yes, they had issues but they helped each other work on them and heal together.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Past and present POV is tricky and def not for everyone. I usually am a big fan though. I do like how character driven this sounds especially! Great review, Holly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO tricky! But most authors handle it very well. And yes, this was very character-driven, so I you would like it! Thanks Giselle. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3