Monday, December 8, 2014

Spotlight and Review: My Soul Immortal

Title: My Soul Immortal
Author: Jen Printy
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC
Release Date: February 22nd, 2014

From Goodreads...
An endless love, for an endless price. 

Jack’s immortality is exposed when he prevents a liquor store heist, forcing him to flee to protect his secret—a secret not even he understands. But when he meets Leah Winters—a mirror image of his decades-lost love, Lydia—his very soul is laid bare. He begins to question his sanity. Is she real, and if so, what does that mean for Jack and his secret? 

Jack’s not the only mystery man in town. A stranger named Artagan hints at knowledge Jack is desperate to possess. But can he trust Artagan, or does the dark newcomer harbor deadly secrets of his own? 

As Jack’s bond with Leah grows, so does the danger to her life. Jack must discover just how much he is willing to risk in order to save the woman he already lost once.

***

My Review!

*I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis, and I couldn't wait to dive into this one. I had no trouble with the narrator, Jack. Sometimes, he came across as distant and a little cold, but it kind of fit his personality. He has immortality, and he's lived a long time. He's seen and done a lot of things in his life, and he doesn't really care about anything. He's just trying to blend in and figure out why he can't die. I really liked Jack. He was a little bitter about life, socially awkward because he tended to stay away from people, and just went through life without friendships or even one connection with someone else. But when he moved to a different city again, he actually formed relationships with people. And one in particular, who reminded him of a girl he'd loved and lost a long time ago.


I loved the unhurried buildup of Jack's and Leah's friendship, and then their romance. It was sweet and slow, but it was perfect for the two of them. Leah reminded Jack of a long lost love, but that didn't get in the way of their connection. I think it only made it richer, especially after finding out certain revelations. 


I also adored the secondary characters. Leah's brother, Grady and Jack's boss, Ed. They added to an already rich story. I liked that, with all of them, Jack became more alive and he was actually happy. They made him a better person and showed him that life is worth all of it, even the bad.

The book took a turn that was not expected and completely surprised me, but in a good way. I've read plenty of stories about immortals, but nothing quite like this. I've honestly forgotten a *bit* about what happened, but I don't want to spoil anything anyway so I'm going to leave the plot open and just tell you that I really enjoyed this story-line. And let's just say that this guy, Artagan, is carrying around secrets that threaten Jack's entire existence and the life he's found in this town and with Leah.


The book's pace was fairly slow, so it took me a long time to finish. But I was honestly never bored and it had my attention all the way through. I think I would have liked a little more backstory on Jack, though, as he's lived a colorful life. However, I so enjoyed My Soul Immortal! And oh, I just went back and read the ending. Such a horrible cliffhanger! I really need the sequel like now. :)

RATING
4 Paw Prints!

BUY LINKS:

***

About the Author:
Since childhood, Jen Printy has been writing. Whether stories about a fantasy world or everyday life in Maine, Jen loved losing herself in the worlds she created on paper. The arts in all forms have always been an important part of Jen’s life, a love instilled in her by her father. When Jen isn’t writing, she’s sculpting as a freelance doll artist.

Jen lives with her husband, two daughters, and diva dog Cookie in southern Maine, where she loves spending time friends and family, finding treasures along the seashore, or enjoying a Guinness at her favorite local pub.

4 comments:

  1. First off, YOU USE FOX PAW PRINTS SO CUTE. Second, I actually really like the synopsis of this because you are right it is VERY INTRIGUING. Plus I don't think I've read a book about someone who's immortal? BUT NO. I do not like cliffhanger endings unless I have the next book right away :P

    AWESOME REVIEW HOLLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, you haven't seen my paw print rating system yet?! Where have you been? Haha, just kidding. Sort of. :P I mean, it's a not a total horrible cliffhanger, but it will make you want the sequel immediately.

      Thank you, Valerie! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for reading and reviewing My Soul Immortal, Holly. I really appreciate it!
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3