Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Creative Block

Ever since the new year began, I've been slowly sliding into a blogging slump. But the thing is, I don't know if it's really a slump. The last few weeks, I've posted a lot of reviews. However, I wrote all of them before 2015 started and just hadn't been able to post them until now. Other than the reviews, I've only published two other posts: a discussion and a tag. So, in reality, I've only written a couple posts in the last few weeks. I feel like this is more than a slump right now. I feel like I'm in a creative block.

I think a large part of this is where I'm at emotionally and mentally in my life right now. Spring semester has started up, and I don't know, I just feel like this is moving all too fast for me. Like, I want to be done with school but I don't at the same time, ya know? I've been in school basically my whole life; I feel like I don't know how to do anything else. Sure, I'm looking forward to a summer of no homework or exams, but that'll just put me one step closer to graduating (in December). And I don't know where I want to be or what I want to do. If I want to go to grad school straight afterward or if I wanna take a year off. I also stressed myself out because I was still changing around my schedule during the first week of classes (I seriously need to stop doing that). And I feel like I'm just wasting my time right now.

I think another part is that I'm just not feeling creative enough for you guys. I feel like I haven't been doing as much as I have in the past, especially when it comes to new posts and such. Not to mention, posting more often. I've gotten over the whole mindset of I need to post everyday or I'm a bad blogger, but gosh I've missed a whole week this month. And by the looks of things, I'll miss most of this week too. I'm going to be incredibly busy, and I wanted to have posts scheduled so I didn't have to worry. But do I have any written up? No. Do I want to write any? Not really. I also haven't been writing stories either. I opened up my WIP last night, wrote less than 50 words, and closed it. I don't know what's going on. I don't know why I'm in this mood. But I don't like it. Not one bit.

And this is a MAJOR problem to have right now! It's not just posting or my WIPs either. I've barely been reading other bloggers' posts and I definitely haven't been commenting. I feel so incredibly bad about that, too. I honestly think I'm back in a place where I'm letting myself care too much about stats and followers and thinking that what I'm doing is not good enough. And I want to stop thinking that way! I wrote my Fire is Catching post so I can put all of the negative, not just what happened with the Kickstarter, behind me and focus more on all of the positive. I say I don't care about the stats, and I really don't. But. Sometimes it stings losing followers or seeing a post with so few pageviews. And then I can't help but think: what more could I be doing? Am I not doing enough? (I'm really not trying to be self-pitying here). 

I was going to create a survey to let you guys have the floor about what you'd like to change (since I only got two comments in the post where I asked about this) like I've seen many bloggers do before. I think it would be a good step to making my blog better, but I'm quite honestly not in the mood to make one. I'm not in the mood to write posts, let alone figure out how to get out of this slump and creative block. For the moment, I think I'm going to step back until February. Don't worry, I'm not going to stop posting completely! Especially since I have my Snark from the Ark coming this Wednesday. I'm just going to be posting... less. And I really just wanted to let you know how I was feeling and apologize for the lack of posts. 

This has nothing to do with anything in the blogosphere, although the negativity could be an aspect of it. It's mostly to do with me. I just, I feel like there's a block, not just in my blogging but in my real life. And I need to figure out how to let that go. But for that to happen, I want to NOT stress myself out about not posting. I don't want to worry about my stats or followers or that I'm not doing enough anymore. I think a slight break will be good for me. I've got post ideas I want to write and I have a cool event I'm organizing in March. I hope these will help me get back into the mindset of WANTING to blog. And I hope you guys don't hate me for not posting as much. I'll definitely still be around Twitter and GR. Thank God I'm not in a reading slump too because that would just suck on top of everything else going on.

So, yeah, don't be alarmed if The Fox's Hideaway is slow right now. I don't want to force myself to post if I'm not feeling it. I also want to stop letting myself become too involved in what everyone else is doing and just focus on ME and my blog. This is why I think a small and short break will help. And hopefully I'll be in a better place soon with blogging and life. <3

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! Life gets crazy sometimes, and I especially remember that feeling of wanting to graduate and not wanting to at the same time. Just stick with it, everyone has ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S OKAY THAT YOU ARE AT A BLOCK RIGHT NOW. OK? DON'T WORRY EVEN IF YOU POST A LITTLE BIT I WILL NEVER NOT COMMENT OR ABANDON YOU. And yeah, wait you graduate in December? Wow that is really early. I have 1.5 years, but I'm planning to go to grad school afterwards SO I WILL NEVER NOT HAVE SCHOOL.

    Honestly, I want this season to go by faster, because winter. But yeah it is really hard to come up with things, especially if you just not reading as many books because OF WORK. So it's ok. I FORGIVE YOU. And so does everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate with the slump. In general. With reviews and discussions. My blog's a little sad about it (or maybe that's just me…).

    Aw…you've got writer's block! Isn't it the worst? I've had it too! Even though I've had two posts planned out (that I've yet to f inish).

    It can be really, REALLY hard to write when you have classes and other life stuff going on. I know for a fact. Wanting to be in and out of school, I know that feeling too. Changing schedules is the worst in college, ugh.

    Ah, Holly, you don't have to be "creative enough" for your readers/friends. I mean, yeah, creative and thought provoking posts are nice, but I'm sure we'll all still be here despite you going through a block right now. :) No one's leaving. I'm sure everyone's okay if you haven't posted for a week. I know I've definitely just left my blog for a week, though I gave a hiatus notice. It's completely understandable.

    It doesn't make you a bad blogger, which you just said you know. I feel bad if I say I'm going to post something and then not post it, it doesn't make me a bad blogger though. Necessarily.

    I've "discovered" I can only do one type of writing at a time. Fictional or blogging. It's sad. Very sad. But this gives me a discussion thought… Maybe try listening to music or watching a show for inspiration? Or taking a walk? Going someplace new? Maybe you need a change of environment.

    No worries, I forgive you for not commenting on my VMars post. ;) Just kidding. Once again, I relate to the not reading and not commenting on others' posts. It's good to look at posts and wonder why they're not getting many views, maybe that's because you haven't been commenting on others' blogs, but whatever it is, it's not your "fault" or whatever.

    You don't have to apologize for the lack of posts, it is nice though. :) And go ahead and take a slight break until February, that's fine. Definitely let go of the stress though, for sure. That can make the block worse.

    Forcing posts is terrible, so it's good you don't want to do that. Definitely focus on you (definitely you) and your blog. :) I hope you feel better about it all

    P.S. You've got the captcha "Please verify" picture up with the whole "Verify you're not a robot" thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it comes up when you use the name/url feature. At least, it has been for me. There's probably a secondary setting or something, Holly!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it's good to step away from things until you actually feel like doing them. I know, for myself at least, that stress can create slumps so easily. It's probably better to wait until you're ready to blog again, until you really want to, and then you can fully get back into it without all the pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww sorry about the slump, I've been having one too and IT SUCKS. :( Stepping away is always a good way to come back refreshed, I usually just push through and preserver though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I am sorry you are having such a slump :( That is really hard. But I find when I am feeling like I HAVE to post, it doesn't get done. There are times that I will "power through", but there is also no rule that you must post any certain amount! Maybe a break is what you need to feel up to it again. Also, it is winter, and disgusting, and I think it is kind of normal just to feel bummed and tired in general. If you need any help or anything, let me know! I am still searching for our gifs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, you're in a slump! That really sucks and I hope you're feeling better about everything. I find it generally helps to remember that everyone has these moments, sometimes you just need a break! I too have been trying to post less and not stress as much, but it's hard not to feel like a failure sometimes for not posting as often as you used to.

    I really hope the break helps you! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3