Saturday, January 31, 2015

Beautiful People: Author Edition

I've never participated in Cait's and Sky's Beautiful People meme before, but this one sounded like so much fun! You guys know how much I love talking about my writing, so I wanted to end January with a post where I get to answer more questions about myself and that will hopefully give me motivation to keep up with my WIPs. And also because I wanted an even number of posts for the month.

***

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
Honestly, I don't know. I've always enjoyed writing. I think the first time I can remember loving it a lot, though, was in 4th grade when we had to write our own poems for this book project. I even still have it at home!

2. How/why did you start writing?
Again, I don't know. It's something that's just always been there, ya know? My mom's a writer too, so I think I got my love of it from her.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
Letting my imagination run wild! There is nothing better than making up my own stories and having control of everything in them.

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Writing. I know that sounds weird, but I get in these moods where I'll either want to write ALL THE THINGS or I don't want to write anything. What I need to do is make a daily goal and try to stick with it. It worked well for me last summer, and now that I'm in sort of a weird creative block, I think it would help get the imagination flowing again.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
At night! I love it when the house is quiet and everybody's asleep and the stars are out. It's actually my most favorite time to do anything; I'm a night owl. But yeah, it's also hilarious because I'll read over what I wrote the night before and I'll just laugh at myself when I have huge typos or weird sentences. And then I'm just like: where the hell was I going with this? Haha.

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
I have no pictures, because it's literally just me on my bed with my laptop. I don't have a desk or anything (and I've never liked writing at a desk anyway).

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
I've, uh, never finished a draft.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
Everything. Not even joking. If I have an idea, I'll write it down somewhere or maybe I'll get this weird AHA moment and I'll start a draft right away because I already know where it's going. And I'm working on all of them at the same time, because I can never stick with one.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
Okay, so funny story. My stories always have these tragic backgrounds, and I have a feeling most of them will be sad and dark and gritty. But I will never NOT write a happy ending. I'm just not that kind of writer. I have to write happy endings (even if I've never actually finished a draft, I do know this).

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Nora Roberts because I adore her stories. Susan Dennard, because she gives AMAZING writing advice! And honestly just all of the ones I have met through blogging. They're all wonderful and talented and have loads of wisdom. :)

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
hahahaha no. I'm so weird about sharing my stories. Even when my cousin constantly keeps bringing it up and is all like, you need to send me some chapters. I do have a feeling I'll share a WIP if it ever actually gets to the whole draft stage. But the problem is that it hasn't happened yet.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
To become a published author. Even if I only get one published. Even if I only have a few readers. That's okay. Being published is my endgame. Ultimately, I just want to share my stories with people and give them what books have always given me: an escape from reality. I want to inspire them and touch their hearts and yes, maybe crush their souls while I'm at it (I write lots of tragedies, remember).

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
I could never not write, so this question is irrelevant. Because it would be heartbreaking if I couldn't. One of my worst fears is that I'll lose the ability to write. Just thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
New Adult! I want to write loads of NA books, but I am so not ready for that yet. Because of reasons.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
Oh gosh, I don't think I can decide. Unfair question is so unfair, you guys. Honestly, though, it's probably my fantasy one. Or my NA contemporary with a typical bad boy meets good girl story. I just love them both so much, but they're not my priorities at the moment. But I can't stop thinking of them.

3 comments:

  1. Yay so glad you decided to link up with us!! Writing is FUNNESS. I agree, we were a bit mean with the "if you could never write" question. ;-) I think I baulked too and just said I would die or raise dragons or something. Writing is basically life. I also write on my bed. I do have a desk but it's mostly full of art projects and beds are more comfy anyway. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slowly being persuaded to write creatively by you and Cait. AND I NEVER FREAKING WRITE STORIES I HATE WRITING STORIES. but just the end product sounds like something that I can be really proud of, but eh. My mind is not so much on the creative side. SAME WITH MY FREAKING ENGLISH.

    Ok enough about me. LOOK AT YOU YA ADORABLE SQUISH. One day when you become a published author, I will demand your ARCs and you will have to accept me and LET ME READ YOUR WORK with your happy endings but sad settings and FINISH A DRAFT ALREADY pressure pressure pressureeeee.

    Yeah I don't know what happened to this comment. I'm just writing whatever is coming to my head because I can.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3