Tuesday, February 10, 2015

(25) Top Ten: Love is in the Air

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances!


LOVES!
1. Bicker and banter. I can't tell you how much it pleases me when a couple has awesome banter. It's funny, it's cute, and ASDFJK; I LOVE IT.

2. Hate-to-love. It's one of my weaknesses when it comes to books. That sexual tension is delicious, and it makes for passionate and heated exchanges.

3. Slow-burning romances. I love couples who take their time to let their relationship grow and strengthen. It makes them more believable, but I've also been known to adore fast-moving romances so long as they make sense.

4. Couples who TALK about their problems and feelings instead of just ignoring them. They work through everything together

5. Chemistry. There has to be CHEMISTRY. Even if your characters have great banter and good communication, it won't make the reader feel anything toward them if they don't have chemistry.


DISLIKES!
1. Irrelevant people who show up in plots to create tension and melodramatic fights between couples. This is also for those love triangles that make no sense.

2. No communication. I mean, seriously, how do you expect to develop a relationship between the characters with ZERO communication? Not to mention, great banter just makes me love them that much more.

3. Random, seemingly irrelevant plot devices that are only there to make their love grow fonder and stronger, but only manage to push the couple apart and hinder their growth. If they're pointless and don't add to the romance, then don't put them in there!

4. Ill-timed interruptions when couples are about to get deep. JUST GIVE ME MY DAMN BANTER AND BICKER AND SOUL-FILLED CONVERSATIONS OKAY.

5. Rushing the I love yous. Slow down, kids! You don't need to go so fast!

*******************************

So, what are some of your likes and dislikes in book romances? As always, leave me a link! :)

18 comments:

  1. Haha, I agree with all of yours! I love banter and slow burning romance, I mean the slow romance can be torture, like in Raven Boys, but it's so much better than instalove! Hate to love seems to be popular this week, I love it but I wish there was more of it in YA. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THE TORTURE EVEN THOUGH IT'S GONNA KILL ME.

      You know, I haven't seen many hate-to-love romances in YA before. Now it makes me want to go hunt for them. :)

      Delete
  2. If only authors would see this post! I have nothing to add, you said it all for me :) great post

    My tuesday post: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/teaser-tuesday-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when they rush the I love yous. Sometimes it feels like I have been slapped in the face when I am reading a book, the characters start dating, then three days later the L word breaks out! No it's unrealistic and just makes me want to throw the books against the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! It is SO annoying. Like, slow it down a little, eh?

      Delete
  4. I love how you set up your list! Your dislikes are spot on and I agree with a lot of your likes!
    Here's my post, if you want to check it out: http://www.lazyladylife.com/blog/2015/2/3/top-ten-things-id-dislike-about-romance-novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Banter made my top like too. (and I used Angelfall as an example) Also Daughter of Smoke and Bone was my chemistry example. I completely agree with the unnecessary complications thing and the best part of a romance is the communication how can they not show that. (or worse say it happened but gloss over it. Trust me, they're in love now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone fit most of my loves, haha. And ugh, I know! It's so much worse when it's just glossed over. Like, I actually wanted to watch them fall in love not be told that it happened!

      Delete
  6. I love this list, girl!
    The banter in Angelfall is PERFECT. Oh my gosh, I ship Penryn and Raffe like crazy. I can't believe the end is near. D:
    I just knew you'd stick Blusey in there somehow. :) Their slow burn is so full of ache and longing. I need them to kiss. Except, no, because he'll die, but yet I want it so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SHIP THEM SO MUCH. I'm so scared that it's ending. I just want them to have their happily-ever-after. *sniffs*

      I'M NOT THAT PREDICTABLE OKAY DANIELLE. (Okay, maybe a little bit. A teeny, tiny bit). Shhhhh he won't die. They'll get their kiss (or one or two because seriously WE DESERVE IT).

      Delete
  7. Communication is a huge one for me, too. A lot of times it's even a make-or-break. It simply annoys me when lovers over-exaggerate problems and refuse to talk it out. Unfortunately, this seems to often result in a break up or tension, which could have been completely avoided if people just talked it out. Literally. Like you pointed out, chemistry makes everything. I also enjoyed Akiva and Karou, I thought they were perfect together. Thanks for sharing!:)

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly, communication is KEY. How can authors not give them any dialogue together? It makes no sense! And yes, it always seems to be around to create unnecessary drama and tension. (Which is just ridiculous).

      And I know, right? Akiva and Karou were the REAL DEAL. Thanks for stopping by!! :)

      Delete
  8. Hahahhahahha yes yes yes yes. And boo for not communicating because WHY NOT. I really hate it when that's used as a plot device because WHYYYYY. NO. just no. I hate drama. I really need to read a good book with some good sexual tension because I don't think I have had that much luck in the romance department :P :P

    GOOD LIST HOLLY! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THERE ARE TWO BOOKS UP THERE WITH REALLY GOOD SEXUAL TENSION THAT YOU SHOULD READ. JUST SAYIN'. (but seriously, read the Circle Trilogy, pretty please).

      Delete
  9. I like the likes you chose! I do think it is great when characters talk to each other in a romance and also have a cute slow burning romance. Banter is a must have for me, because it is just so sweet and shows intelligence as well.

    I don't mind the usual love triangle, sometimes it can be done well and at other times not. it really depends on the book. But instalove is in no way excusable. It's a horrid, horrid thing. Those irrelevant characters are annoying >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love my banter!!

      Exactly! I don't mind love triangles so long as they ARE WELL-WRITTEN. It just depends on the book and how the author writes them. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3