Thursday, February 26, 2015

Alice in Wonderland Retelling: The Collectors' Society Review

Title: The Collectors' Society (The Collectors' Society)
Author: Heather Lyons
Publisher: Cerulean Books
Release Date: October 23rd, 2014!
*eARC kindly provided by InkSlinger PR*

From Goodreads...
From the author of the Fate series and The Deep End of the Sea comes a fantastical romantic adventure that has Alice tumbling down the strangest rabbit hole yet.

After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth.

It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?

*This is the first book in the Collectors' Society series. 


My Review!
I adore Alice in Wonderland retellings; it's always been one of my favorite stories. "Curioser and curioser." And I LOVED this book! The Collectors' Society was a wonderful and crazy twisted ride, perfect for the inspiration behind this novel. :)

Alice is crazy. Or so everyone says. Living in an insane asylum, Alice lives out her days taking pills and staring at ceilings. Until a stranger shows up, asking her to take a giant leap of trust and faith. Asking her to save the world she left behind and had made herself forget the last couple years.


Alice was such a strong character, a little crazy, a little tainted, a little cool on the outside. She's hiding a lot in that busy brain of hers, even when she becomes part of the society and the world as she knew it is turned upside down. It's a lot to take in, but I think she handled it really well. And she's clearly more than she seems at first. She may have seemed a little off, and she may be guarded about her past, but she's determined to do whatever is necessary for the people she loves. But she's not alone; she has the rest of the society. And Finn.


I loved the romance in this book! It's very slow-burning, and though they fell in love quickly (I'm pretty sure that whole line is a contradiction in and of itself), I believed it. I especially believed it when other characters show up and Alice's past starts to unravel. I was not as bothered by it as I thought I would be, because the way the author handled it was extremely well done.


There were plenty of other characters, though! And they all had their own personalities, and they all played huge roles in this story. They were all wonderfully developed. I loved the camaraderie that they shared with each other, and how they were such a close-knit group of people. You have to be, in a place like this. And you have to trust each other, although it took Alice a long time to learn that (understandably so).


Man, it's so hard for me to tell you about this book without giving anything away. There is just A LOT going on and you'll just have to experience it for yourself. Just know this: It's a retelling, so it's different from the Alice in Wonderland story you've heard, but the twists are awesome! I'm kind of dying for the sequel right now, especially after that ending. Not that it was a cliffhanger, but it just left me wanting MORE.


Out of the ones I've read, I think this is my favorite Alice in Wonderland retelling! It kept a lot of the same elements from the original and yet the author made it uniquely hers with the twists and plot that I can't tell you about. The Collectors' Society was a wonderful beginning to an intriguing new series!



RATING:
4.5 Paw Prints!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't read an Alice retelling before (still need to read Splintered) but this one sounds like it was done really well! Her character sounds like she was translated really well too as the cool, slightly quirky girl. Great review Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly, I am so happy you enjoyed this one! I really love Heather's writing, so it tickles me to death when others do too! I was so intrigued by the story and I absolutely ADORED the way she did Wonderland. I also liked the romance too and I felt it got so much better in the second one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I'm definitely adding it to my goodreads shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love retellings but I've never read an Alice in Wonderland one! This has been added to my tbr, thanks for sharing and the great review :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/blog-update-gifs.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following you on twitter for a while now, and just noticed that I've NEVER BEEN TO YOUR BLOG! Soooo, I decided to pop up and drop a few comments! Anywho, I'm such a cover whore, so that pretty design would've been the main reason I picked this up lol. I also adore fairytale re-tellings, but I haven't read an Alice in Wonderland one so I'm definitely going to pick this up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read a book called Insanity by Cameron Jace and didn't hit it off too well with it. It kind of has the same theme, and Alice in Wonderland retelling where Alice is in an asylum. This one was suggested to me by a friend in hopes that I might like it more, and seeing as you loved it, I can't wait to try it. I have a weak spot for retellings as well :3

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3