Friday, February 13, 2015

Blog Tour and Review: Of Sea and Stone


Of Sea and Stone by Kate Avery Ellison 
(Secrets of Itlantis #1) 
Release Date: February 2nd, 2014
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

Synopsis:
All her life, clever Aemi has been a slave in the Village of the Rocks, a place where the sea and sky meet. She’s heard the stories about the fabled People of the Sea, a people who possess unimaginable technology who live below the waves in the dark, secret places of the ocean. But she never dreamed those stories were true.

When a ship emerges from the ocean and men burn her village, Aemi is captured, and enslaved below the waves in Itlantis, a world filled with ancient cities of glass and metal, floating gardens, and wondrous devices that seem to work magic. To make matters worse, her village nemesis, the stuck-up mayor’s son Nol, was captured with her, and they are made servants in the same household beneath the sea.

Desperate to be free, Aemi plots her escape, even going so far as to work with Nol. But the sea holds more secrets than she realizes, and escape might not be as simple as leaving…



My Review!
First off, that cover is holy wow gorgeous blue! And second, I really enjoyed Of Sea and Stone! It was a wonderfully written, richly detailed story that had me gripped from the beginning. It may have been short, but it was a great start to the series!

Even though this was a quick and short read, I could still connect with the main character, Aemi. She's a live-in servant to one of the richest families in the Village of the Rocks, but she wants more than that. She wants to be free, and she wants to live her own life. But she never would have chosen captivity. Aemi is tough and strong-willed, even though she's tossed back into the same world she's longed to leave. Being a servant living in an ancient underwater city, Aemi is out of her element, but that doesn't stop her from trying to learn its secrets so she can escape.

I wish the secondary characters and her relationships with them had been a bit more developed, went a little deeper, but I think we'll see more connections being formed in the sequel. And I hope the sequel will also bring us a romance. I liked that this book didn't focus on it! I don't think I could even say it had a romance. I think this story was more about introducing us to the characters, the major players, and the relationships. And it had a strong plot.


The world-building is wonderful and very detailed. It's a fascinating unique spin on Atlantis. I'm intrigued by where this is all heading. And even though the twist is sort of easy to guess, it didn't make it any less surprising by what was happening in the story and how it all played out. The plot was fast-paced and built up to a climatic ending that left me interested in reading the sequel for more.


I really enjoyed Of Sea and Stone!



RATING:
3.5 Paw Prints!


AUTHOR BIO:
I’ve been making up stories since I was five years old, and now I’m thrilled to be able to do it as a full-time job. I have an obsession with dark fantasy, dystopian futures, and Pride and Prejudice-style love stories full of witty banter and sizzling, unspoken feelings. When I’m not writing, I’m creating digital art, reading funny blogs, or watching my favorite shows (which include TVD and BSG). I live with my geeky husband and our two bad cats in Atlanta, GA.

Author Links:

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Holly! This sounds like a really interesting read and I'm curious about her take on Atlantis! I love that even though it was short you were still able to connect to the characters and it sounds like the world building wasn't ignored either! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover really is pretty! The Atlantis thing sounds pretty fun too. But no romance at all? That does bum me out just a little. Also, I love a short book, this might work for me! (I just checked, and apparently I DO own this book, fun!) Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have a review copy of this one, so I should really get round to it! It sounds like a quick and enjoyable read, where the main character is easy to come to terms with. It's a shame that the secondary characters weren't deeper, but then no one is all perfect!

    Check out my book haul: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/02/olivias-catastrophe-to-be-read-or-not.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3